Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do I Make Him Stop?
CraftyMom 10:50 AM 04-02-2014
I have a dcb 2.5 that recently started this really annoying thing where he goes right up to someone's face and loudly yells "DAAAAAAHHHHHHH". It's wicked annoying, I've talked to him about it several times, he still does it. I've told him no one likes it, it isn't funny, I've even tried doing the same to him which he thought was hilarious so that didn't work. It's been a few weeks, I'm down to time out when he does it, but he still does it anyway so that isn't working either. I tell him sternly that he needs to stop, no one likes it. He's not trying to be mean, he thinks it's funny. He's done it to me several times and I DEFINITELY don't think it's funny. When the child doesn't laugh he does it again louder. I try explaining it just isn't funny and he can make his friends laugh in other ways like making a silly face. How do I get him to stop?
melskids 10:54 AM 04-02-2014
Duct tape?

I'M ONLY KIDDING!
TwinKristi 10:57 AM 04-02-2014
Have you talked to his parents!? I would not be liking that either!! Ick!
Shell 10:59 AM 04-02-2014
Ignore. Turn away like you don't even notice it. If it makes one of the other kids cry, walk him to time out or re-direct him to another area without saying a word.
Can tell you are from MA with your "wicked" comment
coolconfidentme 11:06 AM 04-02-2014
Originally Posted by melskids:
Duct tape?

I'M ONLY KIDDING!
psst.., That's the 1st thought that came to my mind too!
llpa 11:07 AM 04-02-2014
I would remove him to an area where he can play alone. Not time out but an area of the room where you can see him but he isn't part of the action. Then ignore him no matter how long he keeps doing it. It's hard but it works. I have one here same age who started doing that. He was a tuff lil one and kept it up for a while but eventually got tired of playing alone. If he backslides we go right back to it.
KiddieCahoots 11:10 AM 04-02-2014
Originally Posted by melskids:
Duct tape?

I'M ONLY KIDDING!

What is he doing? Is he trying to say "duh"?
Does he have an older sibling who possibly does this at home, and thinks it's funny?
Maybe talk to mom?
CraftyMom 11:20 AM 04-02-2014
Originally Posted by KiddieCahoots:

What is he doing? Is he trying to say "duh"?
Does he have an older sibling who possibly does this at home, and thinks it's funny?
Maybe talk to mom?
Yes he has an 11 year old brother, I was thinking maybe he does it at home.

It's not duh, just an annoying daaaah and for no particular reason, mostly when the kids are playing and having fun. I ask him why and he says "it's funny" I'm like "no it really isn't"

I may talk to mom if it continues for a while. Right now it's just annoying, but I can see it getting really old if it doesn't stop.

I'll try ignoring although that's pretty hard lol
CraftyMom 11:22 AM 04-02-2014
Originally Posted by mrsmichelle:
Ignore. Turn away like you don't even notice it. If it makes one of the other kids cry, walk him to time out or re-direct him to another area without saying a word.
Can tell you are from MA with your "wicked" comment
I didn't even notice the wicked
TwinKristi 11:24 AM 04-02-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
I didn't even notice the wicked
That was the first thing I noticed!! LOL

I would bring it up to mom. Maybe she can reiterate at home too?
Blackcat31 11:55 AM 04-02-2014
Sounds like a good time for a lesson in personal space.

I use hula hoops to aide in visual understanding. Once the kids understand personal space, if they invade it...they get an immediate consequence for it.

Usually it's play time alone.
KiddieCahoots 12:06 PM 04-02-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Sounds like a good time for a lesson in personal space.

I use hula hoops to aide in visual understanding. Once the kids understand personal space, if they invade it...they get an immediate consequence for it.

Usually it's play time alone.
Hula hoops! What a great idea!!!
I have had the kids use their arms in a circular motion to define the space, but hula hoops sounds so much more engaging.

And CraftyMom, I'm soooo.... guilty of using our area slang too
Reply Up