Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 12-31-2018, 06:53 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default Is This Legal in Ontario?

Hi all,
A friend of mine recently got a job at a centre here in Ontario, Canada, and her room has a counter with a double sink. The admin of the place told her that it is perfectly fine to empty potties in one of the sinks and use the other one for hand washing and dishes and such. I cannot believe this is actually true but Iím having a hard time locating any info on the regulations. I would very much appreciate anyone who can point me in the right direction. It seems so gross and I just cannot believe that this could be legal!
Old 12-31-2018, 07:40 PM
starting daycare someday

I don't remember reading anything about those specifics, but if there is something on it, you may find it at http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/childcare/. Definitely not very sanitary.
Old 01-01-2019, 01:46 PM
Daycare.com Member

Legal or not, that is disgusting!
Old 01-02-2019, 05:51 AM
Daycare.com Member

WHOA!

I find it hard to believe there's no code requirement for an adjacent washroom with sink. This is asking for an outbreak.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:43 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockgirl View Post
Legal or not, that is disgusting!
Right?!
Old 01-02-2019, 06:44 AM
Daycare.com Member

Man, I need sleep! I read Ďpottiesí as Ďbottlesí and could not figure out why everyone thought that was so bad.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:48 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pestle View Post
WHOA!

I find it hard to believe there's no code requirement for an adjacent washroom with sink. This is asking for an outbreak.
She said that itís just for pee, and solid waste has to be taken to a nearby bathroom. I just canít understand how you can pour pee down a sink when a child is washing his hands in the sink right next to it. Im glad Iím not the only one! Meanwhile, I still havenít been able to find policy that states itís not allowed. I guess itís something thatís so common sense that they thought it doesnít need legislation 😂.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:31 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I recall a thread about a potty training technique for infants that required providers to hold infants over the hand sinks to urinate (as demanded by parents). It was called something like "elimination communication". It was unexpectedly heated at one point. I will try to find it.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:58 AM
Daycare.com Member

Lol even for EC, I think people should use a kid potty or a real toilet. Why a sink!? I have always found it strange though, when I have seen people pour pee from a kid potty into the sink and then wash it out. I pour in toilet and add water from the bath, and pour that water into the toilet, and then do a paper towel wipe and a Lysol spray lol that's my own procedure I made up. I have no idea what lengths FCCERS or something would have us go through!
Old 01-02-2019, 07:59 AM
Daycare.com Member

Urine is sterile, and if she's sanitizing the sink after it's not a health risk. But it's still very offputting, because it's waste.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondaygirl View Post
She said that itís just for pee, and solid waste has to be taken to a nearby bathroom. I just canít understand how you can pour pee down a sink when a child is washing his hands in the sink right next to it. Im glad Iím not the only one! Meanwhile, I still havenít been able to find policy that states itís not allowed. I guess itís something thatís so common sense that they thought it doesnít need legislation 😂.
Where is the potty chair located?

Why can't it be dumped in the nearby bathroom since that's where solid waste goes? If there is no issue of walking it over there for that, why not just walk over there for urine too?

Sterile or not, I wouldn't be okay with it and I wouldn't do it. I'd walk it over to the nearby bathroom.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:33 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

"Bacteriuria is the presence of bacteria in urine. It is divided into two main types, those with symptoms and those without. Diagnosis is by urinalysis or urine culture. Escherichia coli is the most common bacterium found. Most people without symptoms should not be tested for the condition. Differential diagnosis include contamination. Using special techniques certain non-disease causing bacteria have also been found in the urine of healthy people. These are part of the resident microbiota."

"Escherichia coli, also known as E. coli, is a Gram-negative, facultative anaerobic, rod-shaped, coliform bacterium of the genus Escherichia that is commonly found in the lower intestine of warm-blooded organisms. Most E. coli strains are harmless, but some serotypes can cause serious food poisoning in their hosts, and are occasionally responsible for product recalls due to food contamination. The harmless strains are part of the normal microbiota of the gut, and can benefit their hosts by producing vitamin K₂, and preventing colonization of the intestine with pathogenic bacteria, having a symbiotic relationship. E. coli is expelled into the environment within fecal matter. The bacterium grows massively in fresh fecal matter under aerobic conditions for 3 days, but its numbers decline slowly afterwards."

"Infectious diseases can spread in a variety of ways: through the air, from direct or indirect contact with another person, soiled objects, skin or mucous membrane, saliva, urine, blood and body secretions and through sexual contact. Airborne droplets from nose and throat." - CDC
Old 01-02-2019, 03:22 PM
Daycare.com Member

I was able to find some regulations for Thunder Bay which is located in Ontario. So it dose not cover all of Ontario by far but I would assume that regulations would be the same or very similar through out the province.
This is what it says;

Potty Chair Use and Procedure
The health unit strongly discourages the use of potty chairs in childcare centres. If a centre
continues to use potty chairs, a utility sink must be installed within the washroom or in a location
approved by the health unit. This location must be conveniently located to the washroom and
used so appropriate cleaning and disinfecting can be achieved. Utility sinks must be cleaned at
the end of each day as part of routine cleaning.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:30 PM
Daycare.com Member

I havenít owned a potty chair in years. 1) They gross me out, and 2) Itís yet another transition the child has to make later. I prefer to just get them accustomed to a real toilet from the beginning.

I know that wasnít answering the question...I just donít get the appeal of using a potty chair at all.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:41 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
I recall a thread about a potty training technique for infants that required providers to hold infants over the hand sinks to urinate (as demanded by parents). It was called something like "elimination communication". It was unexpectedly heated at one point. I will try to find it.
I remember that thread lol.. I specifically had it in my policies I would not be able to do EC due to health & sanitary issues.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:31 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msdunny View Post
Man, I need sleep! I read Ďpottiesí as Ďbottlesí and could not figure out why everyone thought that was so bad.
same, had to re-read it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockgirl View Post
I havenít owned a potty chair in years. 1) They gross me out, and 2) Itís yet another transition the child has to make later. I prefer to just get them accustomed to a real toilet from the beginning.

I know that wasnít answering the question...I just donít get the appeal of using a potty chair at all.
YES!

This practice wouldn't fly with licensing here. We have specific potty chair sanitization rules, as well as location, and handwashing following it has to be in a sink used for toileting and NEVER handwashing for/and/or food prep.

Tags
canada - requirements, canada member, sanitary issues, sinks