Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sids :(
littlemommy 08:34 AM 09-15-2011
A provider friend had a baby quit breathing on her on Friday. She went to pick him up from nap and he was limp. She did CPR and called the ambulance. Before paramedics got there he started breathing again but was having seizures. He was taken to the hospital and was stable.

The parents decided to take him to a bigger hospital to do more tests. He then went brain dead and the parents had to make the decision to take him off of life support.

My provider friend is devastated. She doesn't know if she will continue to do daycare after this. The investigations that the state is doing is really stressing her. I have heard of so many SIDS cases lately that it makes me almost weary of taking young infants.
blessedmess8 08:36 AM 09-15-2011
This is my biggest fear! Uuugh!!!
littlemommy 08:39 AM 09-15-2011
I wish there was something I could do for her. She's a wreck!
MG&Lsmom 08:41 AM 09-15-2011
OMGoodness! How horrible for your friend and those poor parents! What a heart wrenching decision!

I decided last year not to take babies anymore myself. It was more because they have to be at your side every second they are in care per our regs than the SIDS risk. If a baby was napping and I had to use the bathroom, I would have to bring them in the bathroom with me, thus waking them up. Arms reach at all times also meant I couldn't safely cook either. But yes, I think this is definitely something we all worry about as providers and parents.
sharlan 08:42 AM 09-15-2011
My heart goes out to your friend. Thoughts and prayers for her and the infant's family.

That has been my greatest fear forever.

I refused to take newborns for a long time. Then I relaxed and started taking siblings and keeping them in the family room at all times, even when sleeping. Now, I'm not sure again.
mom2many 08:46 AM 09-15-2011
That is so heartbreaking. What a horrible thing for the parents and provider to go through. My prayers go out to them.
AnythingsPossible 08:49 AM 09-15-2011
I think that is the biggest fear of all providers. I can't even imagine. My heart goes out to your friend. I can understand her reluctance to continue doing daycare. It would be very hard.
godiva83 08:54 AM 09-15-2011
Oh dear- my heart goes out to all those involved, what a heart breaking thing to have to go through
Who old is a baby out of the 'SIDs' range?
I had a gf whose first son died of SIDS - she has now had one more, who is 7 months and is so scared to put him down that she has carried him since birth and his spine has developed a serious curve that requires surgery! It is just such an awful heart breaking thing
laundrymom 09:18 AM 09-15-2011
Originally Posted by godiva83:
Oh dear- my heart goes out to all those involved, what a heart breaking thing to have to go through
Who old is a baby out of the 'SIDs' range?
I had a gf whose first son died of SIDS - she has now had one more, who is 7 months and is so scared to put him down that she has carried him since birth and his spine has developed a serious curve that requires surgery! It is just such an awful heart breaking thing
My niece was 10 mo when she passed, but, she had been a preemie biracial twin born to a mother with no prenatal care living on the streets and using. ( basicly every prebirth risk factor) Woman gave birth, walked out of the hospital, and never looked back. My cousin brought them home at 5 weeks as their foster mom and adopted. Adjusted age was almost 8 mo
laundrymom 09:19 AM 09-15-2011
I am so sorry for your friend and this family. So incredibly sorry. ((((()))))
Cat Herder 09:31 AM 09-15-2011
Sorry for your friend and for yet another family.

It is a very diffficult thing to go through.

My son had NO "risk factors" and still had the same outcome.

Full term, prenatal care, excellent diet, breastfed, perfect well baby checks, non-smoking, middle class, the works.

SIDS just sucks.
ritah 09:41 AM 09-15-2011
I can't not even begin to imagine what this must be like. So sorry for all involved. {{{{virtual hugs}}}}
caligirl 09:51 AM 09-15-2011
24 years ago this coming November a baby that I was watching died of SIDS.
jojosmommy 11:06 AM 09-15-2011
This is by far my biggest fear. We have had 3 in our area recently.
momofsix 11:36 AM 09-15-2011
Oh so sad. I'm so sorry for the parents, that is a loss no one should have to suffer through. Praying for your friend too, and hoping that the state finds her innocent of any "fault".
Too all of you that lost a baby (child, relative or daycare child) my heart goes out to each of you.
JennyBear 12:47 PM 09-15-2011
Oh my goodness! I am so sorry for everyone involved. Like everyone else, that is my biggest fear and yes, the investigation would be so frightening...as if walking in to a limp infant wasn't enough (but I guess investigations must be done!).
sharlan 12:56 PM 09-15-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Sorry for your friend and for yet another family.

It is a very diffficult thing to go through.

My son had NO "risk factors" and still had the same outcome.

Full term, prenatal care, excellent diet, breastfed, perfect well baby checks, non-smoking, middle class, the works.

SIDS just sucks.
Every time I see "SIDS" I just want to hug you.
Cat Herder 01:21 PM 09-15-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Every time I see "SIDS" I just want to hug you.
Oh, hun... Thank You.

Having gone through this has made me such a better Mother, Daughter, Wife, Sister and Friend. I take nothing for granted, for that I am grateful.

None of us are guaranteed tomorrow.
Christian Mother 01:37 PM 09-15-2011
I start watching a infant in Dec. and this scares me more then anything...I wake up some nights just terrified. I started watching a 3 mo old when I started childcare...now I will have his brother starting in Dec. and he will be about 2 if not 2 1/2 mos coming into my care. I am nervous but mom is not worried. I hear these stories and I panic!! A month ago one of my dcm's asked if I could watch her sisters 2 1/2 mo for a week while her dc lay was out on vacation. That was last weekend. I was soooo paranoid...That baby slept either in my arms or in her bouncer right next to me. Where i could see her breathing. They brought a pnp and I tried laying her down on her back on it but she just wouldn't sleep.. the vibration in the bouncer she really liked. I would feed her and burp her and she would play a bit with me and then sleep. It was eat sleep poop and pee. I got over my fear. But seeing this just upset and terrifies me! I am sooo sorry for your friend OP!! I can't imagine what she must be going through not to mention the family. It is heartbreaking.
MamaBear 02:16 PM 09-15-2011
Wow... your poor friend. That is my worst fear ever. I hope she gets thru this okay and ESPECIALLY the parents. Must be awful for them.
SilverSabre25 02:25 PM 09-15-2011
omgosh, your poor friend, I'm sorry she's going through that and I'm sorry to everyone who has ever lost a baby to SIDS or known one who was lost (laundry, catherder...)

Why does it seem like a lot of SIDS deaths happen in/at daycare? What is different about daycare than at home? People don't keep their babies within arms reach all the time at home; they don't check them every 15 minutes at home...what's different?
sharlan 02:27 PM 09-15-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
omgosh, your poor friend, I'm sorry she's going through that and I'm sorry to everyone who has ever lost a baby to SIDS or known one who was lost (laundry, catherder...)

Why does it seem like a lot of SIDS deaths happen in/at daycare? What is different about daycare than at home? People don't keep their babies within arms reach all the time at home; they don't check them every 15 minutes at home...what's different?
I'm thinking that we hear more about it happening in daycare than at home.
MyAngels 04:04 PM 09-15-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:

I've been reading a lot about SIDS in the past couple of days, and I read that 20% of all SIDS deaths occur in child care settings, with 60% of those deaths being in family child care homes.

Just putting your infant in child care more than doubles their risk for SIDS.

It's no wonder it's probably the number 1 fear among child care providers who accept infants.
morgan24 04:13 PM 09-15-2011
I'm sorry for the family's loss and for your provider friend. What a traumatic thing to go though for everyone. I have a friend who lost her son to sids 10 years ago and it was a horrible thing to have to go through. I love babies, I love everything about them, but that is my greatest fear. Hugs to all of you who have suffered the loss of an infant to sids.
Sugar Magnolia 05:22 PM 09-15-2011
Hugs to you littlemommy. (((((So sorry)))))). Thanks for being there for your friend, she needs you right now. How tragic.
Sharlan, you are so right, we hear about it happening at daycare because the media thinks it "news". When it happens at home, it just a personal tragedy and not "newsworthy". Sad, but a sign of the times.
I don't do infants. Newborns...wow...too risky.
Unregistered 08:05 PM 09-15-2011
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I've been reading a lot about SIDS in the past couple of days, and I read that 20% of all SIDS deaths occur in child care settings, with 60% of those deaths being in family child care homes.
Just putting your infant in child care more than doubles their risk for SIDS.
It's no wonder it's probably the number 1 fear among child care providers who accept infants.
OR perhaps those deaths occur in child care settings more often because the babies are in child care settings longer and more often than they are at home? Statistics do not always tell the whole story!

Also - to keep it in perspective - "Constant worrying about the possibility of SIDS and constant checking on the baby will not safeguard a baby from SIDS, although it does provide some comfort, even though it is exhausting for the parents. The first few months are a time best spent by loving and watching your child grow and develop. Although SIDS is a terrifying and horrible experience to go through, it must be recognized that SIDS is not a very common occurrence, and that if viewed in a different light, of every 1000 babies born, 998 will not become SIDS victims." [http://www.sidsfamilies.com/index.php?sec=sidsstats]

This is truly not to make light of those who have endured the tragedy of SIDS (I too have endured the loss of an infant) but in hopes of reassuring day care providers who choose to provide infant care. There is also a very good chance that "all shall be well and /All manner of thing shall be well" (T. S. Elliot LITTLE GIDDING, quoting St. Theresa) Love the babies and watch over them and trust that all will be well.
MyAngels 08:52 PM 09-15-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
OR perhaps those deaths occur in child care settings more often because the babies are in child care settings longer and more often than they are at home? Statistics do not always tell the whole story!

Also - to keep it in perspective - "Constant worrying about the possibility of SIDS and constant checking on the baby will not safeguard a baby from SIDS, although it does provide some comfort, even though it is exhausting for the parents. The first few months are a time best spent by loving and watching your child grow and develop. Although SIDS is a terrifying and horrible experience to go through, it must be recognized that SIDS is not a very common occurrence, and that if viewed in a different light, of every 1000 babies born, 998 will not become SIDS victims." [http://www.sidsfamilies.com/index.php?sec=sidsstats]

This is truly not to make light of those who have endured the tragedy of SIDS (I too have endured the loss of an infant) but in hopes of reassuring day care providers who choose to provide infant care. There is also a very good chance that "all shall be well and /All manner of thing shall be well" (T. S. Elliot LITTLE GIDDING, quoting St. Theresa) Love the babies and watch over them and trust that all will be well.
Actually, 1/3 of the SIDS deaths that occur in child care settings happen during the first week of care, with 1/2 of those happening on the first day of care. I doubt very much that it has much to do with spending more time in daycare than at home. I would imagine that it has more to do with not following the safe sleep guidelines than anything else. That's just my opinion, of course.
Cat Herder 06:08 AM 09-16-2011
Actually, 1/3 of the SIDS deaths that occur in child care settings happen during the first week of care, with 1/2 of those happening on the first day of care. .
What is your source for this info?
MyAngels 06:22 AM 09-16-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
What is your source for this info?
It was in a PP presentation that I found about reducing the risks of SIDS in child care. I will see if I can find the link again.
MyAngels 06:46 AM 09-16-2011
This is the PowerPoint Presentation: http://www.healthychildcare.org/PPT/SIDSfinal.ppt

I have been unable to locate the research paper that this came from, but I do see that this researcher has done a lot with SIDS:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?t...22%5BAuthor%5D
SilverSabre25 06:47 AM 09-16-2011
Actually, 1/3 of the SIDS deaths that occur in child care settings happen during the first week of care, with 1/2 of those happening on the first day of care. I doubt very much that it has much to do with spending more time in daycare than at home. I would imagine that it has more to do with not following the safe sleep guidelines than anything else. That's just my opinion, of course.
It does seem that a lot of stories fit this scenario...
Blackcat31 07:01 AM 09-16-2011
I have zero experience with this so I am only stating something that was brought up in our child care provider training......

A local provider/friend had a baby die of SIDS while in her care a few years ago. The baby was two days shy of being 4 months old. She had just had her imms the day before. This provider said she had done some research later and found out that in countries like the Netherlands and Japan, they do not allow children under age 2 to be immunized but begin the same process of immunizations that we do just after age 2. She said they have the lowest infant mortality rates due to SIDS.

Like I said, I have no experience or knowledge in this, other than the basics, but I do wonder if there is a connection in that line of thinking.
Cat Herder 07:19 AM 09-16-2011
Interesting. Thanks, guys.

I follow everything and was part of the "Back to Sleep" study. I do know of a study that concluded that infants who typically/naturally/normally sleep on their bellies have an INCREASED risk of SIDS when suddenly flipped to back sleeping in daycare.

The problem with that study was that the cause was "unknown" and they could not link it specifically, just anecdotally, so it was deemed "inconclusive".

My son died in daycare, during his 8th week there, at 6 months, fully able to roll over. He had had his shots the day before. It took the provider several hours to notice as was obvious due to his level of rigor/lividity on EMS arrival. (that is why I always get grumpy with folks for moving infants to other dark rooms with doors closed for sleep in posts )

He had a full bladder, so no suffocation or mechanical asphyxiation....just stopped breathing. I will never know if there were blankets in his bed (rebreathing asphyxiation is possible) because they never took photos of the scene and he had been carried outdoors.

I asked about the immunizations/shots many times and was told it had no bearing. They were obsessed with the sleep temperatures and room ventilation during the investigation phase.

IDK, I wish they would figure it out. I have been waiting 21 years, myself. Many others for decades longer.

Read this 2 pg pdf: http://www.firstcandle.org/cms/wp-co...on_Dioxide.pdf It gives me hope because it makes sense.
Jenniferdawn 08:03 AM 09-16-2011
That is so heartbreaking to hear Catherder. Doctors and vaccine companies swear vaccines have nothing to do with SIDS and other horrible things, but after a lot of researching, there seems to be this link coming up over and over again. Right after my good friends son was given his vaccine, he became a different child. Over night my friend noticed him with draw into his own world and start exhibiting strange behaviors. He was soon told by doctors that he has autism. They swore up and down it had nothing to do with vaccines, but my friend knows thats not true. It was black and white to her how it happened. anyways, just wanted to tell you to not necessarily believe what health care practitioners tell you. there is a lot of money that gets in the way of people and their morals. And the sad thing is, a lot of doctors don't even know all the truth cause they get told the same lie. There are many stories out there just like this. Makes my heart break...
Unregistered 07:45 AM 06-03-2016
10 years ago I was caring for a child who was sleeping and stopped breathing. I did CPR and the ambulance came and she was breathing but never regained consciousness. It was diagnosed as SIDS. It has been the worst thing that has happened in my life and I still suffer from the trauma. But I always think about the family and their loss and that it's even worse for them. Your friend will need you by her side for many years to come. The devastation will impact her life. I don't know if she was able to have closure, I didn't. I believe that makes the situation even more difficult.
Thriftylady 07:49 AM 06-03-2016
This is one reason I don't really care to take infants.
NightOwl 09:26 AM 06-03-2016
I've been there and would be happy to speak with her. It was the darkest, most trying time of my life. DHR was horrible to me, they assumed the absolute worst, even though the parents were firmly in my corner. Eventually, after months of being accused, they could find no evidence to support that I (or my staff) had done anything wrong, so they had to close the case. The autopsy findings were that he died of SIDS.

This was 4 years ago and the mom and I still talk regularly, even though she lives outside of the country now (military). The heartbreak we shared created a very tight bond. She was very angry at DHR's treatment of me and even volunteered to write letters or go to the local media about it. I declined of course, because you should never cross DHR, even if they're the ones who are wrong.

If your friend needs some support or advice or the shoulder of someone who's been there, I'd be happy to help. Just pm me.
Cat Herder 09:57 AM 06-03-2016
NightOwl,

This is from 2011.

I have not seen this OP in some time.
Unregistered 10:05 AM 06-03-2016
old thread
Artsandcrafts 11:00 AM 06-03-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have zero experience with this so I am only stating something that was brought up in our child care provider training......

A local provider/friend had a baby die of SIDS while in her care a few years ago. The baby was two days shy of being 4 months old. She had just had her imms the day before. This provider said she had done some research later and found out that in countries like the Netherlands and Japan, they do not allow children under age 2 to be immunized but begin the same process of immunizations that we do just after age 2. She said they have the lowest infant mortality rates due to SIDS.

Like I said, I have no experience or knowledge in this, other than the basics, but I do wonder if there is a connection in that line of thinking.

I wonder the same thing, whether there is a connection between immunization and SIDS. It would be good to know whether Mennonites have SIDS or just parents that choose not to vaccinate
Annalee 11:06 AM 06-03-2016
Originally Posted by Artsandcrafts:
I wonder the same thing, whether there is a connection between immunization and SIDS. It would be good to know whether Mennonites have SIDS or just parents that choose not to vaccinate
I know this is an old thread....but I live near the Amish community and have some close friends that are Amish....oddly enough, I never hear them speak of SIDS happening? we have talked about vaccinations before because they always have an outbreak of whooping cough each year....??? The Amish around here do not use cars or any kind of electricity....I know some communities have cars up north.
Artsandcrafts 06:47 PM 06-03-2016
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I know this is an old thread....but I live near the Amish community and have some close friends that are Amish....oddly enough, I never hear them speak of SIDS happening? we have talked about vaccinations before because they always have an outbreak of whooping cough each year....??? The Amish around here do not use cars or any kind of electricity....I know some communities have cars up north.
Do they have other chronic illnesses such as ADHD, autism? I read a book where an Amish was interviewed and mentioned that he did not know of these illness in his community and he also said that if there were any in other communities they would know. They are supposed to still have diabetics, people with cardiovascular diseases, etc, but other common chronic illnesses are supposed to be unheard of in their communities
Annalee 08:04 PM 06-03-2016
Originally Posted by Artsandcrafts:
Do they have other chronic illnesses such as ADHD, autism? I read a book where an Amish was interviewed and mentioned that he did not know of these illness in his community and he also said that if there were any in other communities they would know. They are supposed to still have diabetics, people with cardiovascular diseases, etc, but other common chronic illnesses are supposed to be unheard of in their communities
They have persons with diabetes, heart issues like you mentioned....but I have never heard them mention things like ADHD/ADD....They have been in our homes and ate meals with us....They built the cabinets for my brother's house. They probably are not knowledgeable of issues like ADD/ADHD And they may not have those issues because they have such a calm/structured/stress-free lifestyle.....ADD/ADHD issues can be environment-triggered or related.

As for Autism, I have heard them call some of their community members "slow"......I assume that means "developmentally delayed". Not sure if they have "autism" diagnosis.

They visit the doctor/chiropractor only if there is no other way to deal with their health issues. They will ride in a car to go to doctor but they mostly use their buggies driven by horses. They take the bus for long trips. They will answer questions so I will ask about the autism when I can. I have asked about the "vaccination" issue and he always brings up the "whooping cough".
Tags:2011, sids
Reply Up