Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Tableware For Daycare
mac60 04:58 AM 03-04-2011
I am trying to downsize and organize my kitchen. I want to get some new tableware for daycare, specifically 10 plate, bowls, cups, and that should last me thru each day 2 meals. I want them to match and I am just going to put up a small shelf for daycare stuff. I am wondering if the Melamine dishes that can be bought at Target/Wakmart, are diswasher and microwave safe. Dishwasher safe especially.
SilverSabre25 05:08 AM 03-04-2011
Melamine is tricky. Technically, it's not dishwasher safe, although I have a few melamine divided plates from Target that have withstood the test for quite awhile (NOT the cruddy ones from the $1 section; those are worthless).

Melamine has...something... in it, some chemical (I forget what), that can leech into the food if it gets scratched, cracked, or exposed to high temperatures (like those in a dishwasher). Basically, I would stay away from Melamine.

I recommend these from Ikea (and the matching bowls, cups, and tableware, too!). Pretty, durable, and VERY affordable. You can order online if you don't have an Ikea nearby.
AnythingsPossible 05:09 AM 03-04-2011
I have corelle dishes from walmart. They sell them in sets or open stock. They have small 8 inch plates and small bowls. They are pretty sturdy. The only dishes I have ever had break have been a couple of bowls, that have been handed down, probably originally bought in the 70's.
The plates are a little large for snacks. I have no advice on cups. I am trying to figure out different cups to buy that won't take up as much room as well.
daysofelijah 05:15 AM 03-04-2011
I use the melamine target plates and they have held up for 7+ years now and are washed in the dishwasher daily (not the $1 kind though, they don't last).

Then for cups and bowls I use the Ikea cups and bowls that pp mentioned. I just use my regular flatware.
countrymom 05:15 AM 03-04-2011
stay away from malemine, I have some left and once they are gone I'm not replacing them. First, they bend in the dishwasher, and the paint does peel (on most, some of mine didn't) and they crack easily. Sure they have cute design but not worth it.
I have ikea plates and cups and bowls (the childrens stuff) they are awesome, bright colors, durable and cheap, so you can buy lots and replace often. I really really recommend them
I bought divider plates from menards and they are awesome too, I paid a dollar each and they are great too.
mac60 05:17 AM 03-04-2011
Thanks. Ugg, I can't order the Ikea ones online, and the nearest Ikea is 120 miles. The ones from Target...do they come in a set, or purchased separately. I am going to Target tonight.
SilverSabre25 05:19 AM 03-04-2011
Originally Posted by mac60:
Thanks. Ugg, I can't order the Ikea ones online, and the nearest Ikea is 120 miles. The ones from Target...do they come in a set, or purchased separately. I am going to Target tonight.
You should plan a road trip to Ikea then. Ikea is awesome.
Unregistered 05:32 AM 03-04-2011
melamine is great in the dishwasher. its all we use. never ever had a problem!
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_melamine_dishwasher_safe

never had cracks, bending or anything!
WImom 08:58 AM 03-04-2011
I have ones like the ikea ones but got them at Target/Walmart. THey have plates, bowls and cups.
http://www.munchkin.com/products/detail.html?pID=1084

I also got some divided plates at Walmart that are the same colors as the Munchkin ones. (I use divided for lunch and the other plates for snack, breakfast)

These Munchkin ones (I think ikea too) are BPA free as well and dishwasher safe.

Walmart was the cheapest I found them.
Lilbutterflie 09:04 AM 03-04-2011
Target has some bpa-free plastic-like plates and bowls in the baby tableware section (where the sippy cups & stuff are). They hold up great on the top rack of dishwasher (it says they are top rack dishwasher safe). They are fairly inexpensive too... a pack of four is around $6 I think.
E Daycare 09:07 AM 03-04-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I recommend these from Ikea (and the matching bowls, cups, and tableware, too!). Pretty, durable, and VERY affordable. You can order online if you don't have an Ikea nearby.
I use all this from Ikea too lol. You beat me to the punch
SilverSabre25 09:11 AM 03-04-2011
Originally Posted by E Daycare:
I use all this from Ikea too lol. You beat me to the punch
I'm not surprised...if I remember correctly you live really close to Ohio's Ikea, right? I'm so jealous; you must get to go all the time! I love Ikea, but have to drive down to Cincy to go there
E Daycare 09:15 AM 03-04-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I'm not surprised...if I remember correctly you live really close to Ohio's Ikea, right? I'm so jealous; you must get to go all the time! I love Ikea, but have to drive down to Cincy to go there
I live right down the street from it almost lol. Its about 5 exits down on I-75 and I go anytime I need something for the house and what not. I use to go to target for everything till they opened up. Some peoples weekly trips are to target, mine are to Ikea. Its almost borderline "she needs help".

DH says we need to go this weekend actually. He wants some stuff for his "man cave" as he just bought himself a flat screen for it and now wants some more furniture. Im excited 'cause I love the kids section and want to get a few more chairs and another small table.
newtodaycare22 09:55 AM 03-04-2011
I got sippy cups from the dollar store (Dollar Tree) for my kids. They are great. They had blue, pink, green and yellow. It says hand wash only but mine go through the dishwasher everyday (on the top rack) and they've been going strong since August. I don't use the tops though, as my kids are 3 and up, so I can't speak to how well the tops hold up.

The cups are regular 8 ounces and stack inside each other easy.
countrymom 09:55 AM 03-04-2011
Originally Posted by E Daycare:
I live right down the street from it almost lol. Its about 5 exits down on I-75 and I go anytime I need something for the house and what not. I use to go to target for everything till they opened up. Some peoples weekly trips are to target, mine are to Ikea. Its almost borderline "she needs help".

DH says we need to go this weekend actually. He wants some stuff for his "man cave" as he just bought himself a flat screen for it and now wants some more furniture. Im excited 'cause I love the kids section and want to get a few more chairs and another small table.
where, we go to menards all the time, the one that is just past the ohio michagan border. (I live outside windsor) is it close by cause I'll make dh drive me there, otherwise we go to canton mi.
E Daycare 10:37 AM 03-04-2011
Originally Posted by countrymom:
where, we go to menards all the time, the one that is just past the ohio michagan border. (I live outside windsor) is it close by cause I'll make dh drive me there, otherwise we go to canton mi.
I live a half hour north of Cincy and Ikea is right in between Cincy and me. It takes me 15 minutes to get there (going south). We are RIGHT there at the KY border, so youd almost have to go completely to the end of Ohio to get there. LOL
blueclouds29 11:09 AM 03-04-2011
Originally Posted by WImom:
I have ones like the ikea ones but got them at Target/Walmart. THey have plates, bowls and cups.
http://www.munchkin.com/products/detail.html?pID=1084

I also got some divided plates at Walmart that are the same colors as the Munchkin ones. (I use divided for lunch and the other plates for snack, breakfast)

These Munchkin ones (I think ikea too) are BPA free as well and dishwasher safe.

Walmart was the cheapest I found them.

I use these for ever meal all the time! Love them!!!
lil angels 11:29 AM 03-04-2011
I love the IKEA ones to I have had mine foe almost 5yrs and they look like new and always go in the dishwasher. Sounds like a road trip to me
DCMomOf3 11:39 AM 03-04-2011
I have and love my Ikea kid dishes too. I just bought more cups a 2 weeks ago. If you want the Ikea dishes, do you have anyone who could buy them for you? I have done that in the past.
Tags:2011, tableware
Reply Up