Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>For Those Using Funshine Express
DaycareMama 11:47 AM 02-17-2012
For those using funshine express what age do you switch to Fireflies? Or maybe what skill level would you suggest for fireflies??
Blackcat31 02:19 PM 02-17-2012
I don't use Funshine any more but in my honest opinion, I think the Fire Flies is really tough for some 3-4 year olds.

I dunno, it may just be me but I really didn't think it was very age appropriate. I ended up doing most of the crafts.
Cat Herder 04:26 PM 02-17-2012
Fireflys still seem a bit above my 3 year olds...

I was just thinking about ordering a sample kit ($10) of it next week to check it out before I order my spring pack.
DaycareMama 06:05 PM 02-17-2012
A bit above was what I was worried about. Thank you both for your responses.

Blackcat.... did you switch to a different one or are you doing your own now?

I used to love Star Brite when I had a smaller group but know it seems SOOO exspensive and i honestly think that star brite is a little advanced for my kids now too.
Blackcat31 07:34 AM 02-18-2012
Originally Posted by DaycareMama:
A bit above was what I was worried about. Thank you both for your responses.

Blackcat.... did you switch to a different one or are you doing your own now?

I used to love Star Brite when I had a smaller group but know it seems SOOO exspensive and i honestly think that star brite is a little advanced for my kids now too.
I have actually changed my approach altogether and no longer use any type of boxed or structured curriculum.

I do things now alot like Melskids where I focus strictly on play-based care and what the children want to do. I separated my infants/toddlers into one area and have my preschoolers in another age appropriate area where ALL the materials (including all the art supplies) are out and available to them whenever they choose to use them.

We sometimes focus on a theme or topic for 1/2 a day or sometimes a whole week. Depends on how interested or deeply the kids are or want to be.

Basically, I allow the children to lead me where they want to go. Some days the kids do art/crafts all day and other times they don't take any art/craft supplies out for 2-3 days. Yesterday, they all played wooden blocks and cars on floor mats with roads for pretty much the entire day. Their little city was very large and very intricate!

So no boxed or structured curriculum for me.
Tags:funshine express
Reply Up