Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Have a few concerns can anyone help?
newbie 05:32 PM 02-01-2008
I've been trying to open an in home daycare for many months now. I've put a ton of money into it with new paint, toys, equipment, safety items, etc. You name it I've done it. I'm a perfectionist with all i do so I want everything to be perfect. Here's my concerns. I don't want to get a license so I know i can only have 3 children. I'm concerned about all the headaches that could arise from having kids. If a child just isn't working well and is interfering with the other children or my family and I have to let them go and the parents get visious and report me for a bunch of lies. Or a child having a very minor fall and ending up with a little bruise and them accusing me of abuse. Also any advise on wiping toddlers tooshies? My best friend did daycare for 18 years and never wiped toddlers tooshies because it was to risky. I am very nervous about all the time and money i've put into this and something going wrong. Is there anyway to protect myselfand my family legally? I know about home owner insurance etc. I've read every word of my states policies. I'd love some sound advice so I can feel better about my decision to try daycare.
Michael 05:43 PM 02-01-2008
I think being a perfectionist also is making you a worry wart. Most parents would appreciate someone like you being so attentive to detail. Much of what you worry about legally can be overcome with a good contract and some insurance. It is easier than you think and the state really does support you in this much needed field. Maybe there are others here that can paint a picture what it is like caring for a larger family daycare with more children. If you love children you will love the job.
Unregistered 09:39 PM 08-02-2008
Most parents aren't going to freak out over a small bruise or bump. In any case, communication is key. When the parent/s arrive, just tell them what happened. For instance, I have "boo boo reports" I fill out for the parents and I tell them when they arrive "Lucy was playing on the tricycle today and had a little fall. She scraped her knee but I washed it and put a band aid on it and she went on playing." Unless it's a serious injury, they'll most likely understand. It's not like they never get bumps and bruises and scrapes at home, kids are kids. As far as the tooshie thing, (and let me say I had to smile at the use of the word tooshie), it's again all about communicating with the parents. When parents come to see my daycare, I sit down with them and go over all the questions we have for each other. One of my questions is "How much help do they need going to the bathroom?" Or "Are you comfortable with me helping them in the bathroom?" A toddler is probably going to need at least a little help getting clean after using the bathroom, and most parents understand that. After all, they probably don't want their children running around with dirty tooshies! Hope that helps!
Unregistered 02:31 PM 09-18-2008
You may want to look into becoming a LLC. You can be a Limited Liability Cooperation even if you are a non licensed in home childcare provider ( at least in my state). That way your private assets are separated from your business and if anyone wanted to become sue happy they would only end up with your swing set and baby wipes...the childcare assets. It may be worth checking into- to give you peace of mind.
Unregistered 07:15 AM 10-02-2008
I'm curious about why you don't want to get licensed? Even if you only want to keep a small number of children, it could only be beneficial to you. Here in Kentucky, it is fairly easy and affordable. It is only $10 for me to be certified for 6 children every other year. It looks good on your resume - people know that you are dedicated to the cause and a professional - not just a babysitter. We are required to be certified in CPR and First Aid, follow healthy and safety regulations, and take professional training yearly, among other things. If you are a perfectionist, I would think you would want to do these things anyway to provide the best possible care to the children. You would also receive training in proper diapering procedure - so there would be no concerns on your end or the parents (no pun intended). We also are required to obtain liability insurance that will cover you in case you have an issue with parents thinking you did something wrong. But the biggest thing that would be on your side would be to have a contract. You can do this if you are licensed or not. You line out everything in specific detail as to how you will do things - from feeding to payment to playtime and curriculum, diapering, pick up time, etc. Every detail. If the parents sign it, they can't come back to you complaining about not liking the way you did something. But keep in mind - in 10+ years of doing this, I've never had a complaint of any kind. The kids and parents feel like this is their second home. They don't question what I do. They respect me and look for my opinion and guidance. If you are confident in yourself and act like a professional, they will treat you that way. Good luck.
Unregistered 05:03 PM 04-12-2012
If your concerned about getting rid of 'bad' families and a complaint being a result, make sure you document everything that a child or parent has done that you feel you might need to defend yourself. I record everything on my labtop and each child has a file. I record everything from someone peeing their pants to a disrespectful comment. You won't need a file for everyone, however, some. It gives you peace of mind since you have your resource in case someone is ready to battle cuz you gave notice!
Reply Up