Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parents Camera Access Restricted
NCB247 06:51 AM 08-17-2018
Hello, this is my first post. I was wondering if anyone knows if a daycare center can restrict parents' access to video cameras to only a certain number of minutes per day? The state is North Carolina. Thanks for any info!
Blackcat31 06:56 AM 08-17-2018
Originally Posted by NCB247:
Hello, this is my first post. I was wondering if anyone knows if a daycare center can restrict parents' access to video cameras to only a certain number of minutes per day? The state is North Carolina. Thanks for any info!
I don't allow parents access to cameras at all. period. ever.

I would check the program's handbook in regards to policies for access to cameras.
NCB247 07:02 AM 08-17-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't allow parents access to cameras at all. period. ever.

I would check the program's handbook in regards to policies for access to cameras.
Thanks, I went over our handbook. It just states that parents will have access to the video cameras via their login/passwords.

Was just wondering if anyone knew what the laws said on this or if its even a legal matter at all.
Cat Herder 07:09 AM 08-17-2018
It is a pretty new thing and generally viewed as an extra.

Do they, perhaps, cut them off during diaper and potty times for liability and privacy?
NCB247 07:33 AM 08-17-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
It is a pretty new thing and generally viewed as an extra.

Do they, perhaps, cut them off during diaper and potty times for liability and privacy?
The rooms for these cameras are not for infants and the bathrooms are blacked out so you cant see the door or who's inside them.

I figured it may be an "extra" and thus maybe not subject to any law.
hwichlaz 07:53 AM 08-17-2018
I think it's an awesome idea.

If I were to allow parental access to my cameras I'd limit it as well. If you're obsessively watching every minute your child is in daycare that can create an unhealthy situation. I'd probably limit it to 20 minutes per day...the average break time each parent gets at work.
MarinaVanessa 04:07 PM 08-17-2018
There is no law that requires a daycare to have video surveillance, therefore, the daycare can decide it's own policies on who can and can't view them or for how long is entirely up to the daycare.
Candy 12:45 PM 08-18-2018
Originally Posted by NCB247:
Yes there is a daycare in my area that only allows parents to view 15 minutes total. How and when they use it is up to them but once you've hit 15 for the day it will cut off.
NCB247 02:39 PM 08-18-2018
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
There is no law that requires a daycare to have video surveillance, therefore, the daycare can decide it's own policies on who can and can't view them or for how long is entirely up to the daycare.
Thank you for that information!
Tags:camera, video cameras, video monitors, video streaming
Reply Up