Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Breastmilk Question...
Blackcat31 11:07 AM 03-22-2011
It is 2:00 p.m. here and I just got done thawing a bag of breast milk for a 7 month old and dad showed up unexpectedly to pick up early. Should I discard the bottle or can I refrigerate until tomorrow? The dcb will be here at 7:30 a.m. for breakfast. I would have sent it home with dad except the bottles stay here (and I forgot) and the mom would probably get po'ed at me for sending the bottle with dad (they are not together). So toss or keep?
juliebug 11:14 AM 03-22-2011
by thawing do you mean it was frozen? and now just cold?
if it was frozen and you DID NOT heat it but thaw to liquid you have 24 hours to heat and use it. but if it was heated you need to toss it!
Blackcat31 11:16 AM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by juliebug:
by thawing do you mean it was frozen? and now just cold?
if it was frozen and you DID NOT heat it but thaw to liquid you have 24 hours to heat and use it. but if it was heated you need to toss it!
I usually thaw it out by putting the frozen bag of BM in a bowl of luke warm water until it is liquid. This is how the mom showed me to do it. I've had lots of breast feeding mothers over the years, but all of them have either brought fresh bottles for the day or I've thawed with warm water like I did today but used it right away so this problem is new for me.....
Unregistered 11:20 AM 03-22-2011
The milk is good in the fridge for 24 hours after it's been thawed.
Maddy'sMommy 11:25 AM 03-22-2011
Yep, if you thawed it you can put it in the fridge and use it in the next 24 hours.

You can't refreeze it though.
Unregistered 11:33 AM 03-22-2011
source for the info that it's good for 24 hours after thawing

"Previously frozen milk may be kept in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours after it has finished thawing. Do not refreeze."

kellymom: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkstorage.html
Blackcat31 11:34 AM 03-22-2011
Thanks ladies....just wanted to make sure.
Reply Up