Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Holiday Charges
amandamarie 03:59 PM 11-04-2011
My daycare center charges a flat fee for monthly services. They have 11 holiday days plus a week in July. We pay the same each month regardless of holidays. We just got an email saying that they will be closed next Friday for Veterans day. This is not a holiday listed in our agreement we signed. My invoice this month was the same as usual so nothing was taken off for this day. In the same email, it said that they will be closed Dec. 23rd through Jan 2nd. Our agreement states that they will be closed the day before and day of Christmas as well as New Year's Eve and day. My daughter only goes half days MWF so it is only $20 each holiday day but for us, it is still a hardship. I guess I am wondering how to handle this situation. I want to resolve this but I am afraid to upset the director. My daughter just started this school and she can be a handful. Any advice would be great!
familyschoolcare 06:49 PM 11-04-2011
What exactly does the contract say if it says the get paid for the folowing holidays and does not list the ones that you talked about then it is not right to charge for them. If however it says that the monthly rate is the same reguardless to holidays and then list holidays they may legaly be able to make to pay for those days. Esp. if the list of Holidays is in a different paragraph. While it might be legal I do not think it is moral.
I suggestou talk to the director and say I did not realize that those where days the center was going to be closed and I have not budgeted to additial care on those days along with paing you the regualsr rate.
amandamarie 07:15 PM 11-04-2011
It doesn't actually say anything about paid holidays. I think it is just assumed that they are paid because it is a flat monthly rate. It just says they are closed for several holidays and then they are listed. Veterans day is not one of them. It is next Friday and we were just notified today. I really don't mind paying for some holidays (even though we don't get them). It is when the start adding on extras just because it is a flat rate that bothers me. I can't imagine what full time working mothers are going to do the week+ they are taking off for Christmas. They have about 18 paid holidays without adding extras.
wdmmom 08:13 PM 11-04-2011
Originally Posted by amandamarie:
It doesn't actually say anything about paid holidays. I think it is just assumed that they are paid because it is a flat monthly rate. It just says they are closed for several holidays and then they are listed. Veterans day is not one of them. It is next Friday and we were just notified today. I really don't mind paying for some holidays (even though we don't get them). It is when the start adding on extras just because it is a flat rate that bothers me. I can't imagine what full time working mothers are going to do the week+ they are taking off for Christmas. They have about 18 paid holidays without adding extras.
Take off your daily rate for Veterans Day. With Christmas Eve being Saturday and Christmas Day on Sunday, (same with New Years Eve & Day), take off the 3 days in between and pay for the holidays.

If they seem to have an issue with it, state that you were only following the contract!
Mandy_Jane 09:28 AM 11-05-2011
I would have an issue with paying for veteran's day if it is not listed as a day off in your contract. I list out every single paid vacation day I will be taking in my contract with my parents. If I take any day beyond what is listed as paid, I do not charge for it. I do however state that if a paid holiday falls on a weekend, that I can take the Friday before or the Monday after, in it's place. And this year since Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve and New Year's Day are falling on Sat and Sun, I am taking off the Friday before AND the Monday after. So I do think that part of your issue is reasonable. That is how most daycare providers do it. Did they state anything about vacation days that fall on a weekend in your contract?
jen 01:08 PM 11-05-2011
I would mention it...if it isn't in the contract my guess is that other parents will be making comments as well.
Tags:holiday rates, paid holidays
Reply Up