Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Do When EVERYONE Is Sick?
Christina72684 08:46 PM 11-12-2011
This was the worst week I've had since opening 4 months ago! I was (and still am) extremely sick the whole week, so is my 7 month old daughter. We have bronchitis and I couldn't keep anything down for 3 days straight. My mom who is my co-owner was also sick, but not quite as bad. Then we had 2 one-year-olds with a pretty bad cough and ear infections, a 3yr old that developed a bad cough at the end of the week so he missed Friday, and everyone else starting to get it on Friday.

I could barely function at all, neither could my mom. What do you do when you're sick? Or when the majority of the kids are sick? I wanted to close so badly, but knew none of my families had anywhere else to take their kids.

I tell you what, if this is a preview of what this winter is going to be like, I need to do something quick!
Jenniferdawn 11:01 PM 11-12-2011
I'm a well daycare, so anything beyond the common cold is not allowed. If the kids are sick, the parents need to find alternate care or use a few of their sick days to care for their child. (Most companies allow this). If I am horribly sick, beyond the point of functioning well, I close and the families do not have to pay me those days. If my children are super sick but I'm ok, they are quarantined to our bedrooms as so not infect the rest of the house and daycare kids. I am not looking forward to this cold and flu season. We have been pretty healthy the last two, but I feel like its only time before we get slammed. I hope you all feel better soon!
laundrymom 05:24 AM 11-13-2011
While I try to be a well only childcare.... It happens. I wash hands twice as often, Lysol my sweeper bottom and brush, steam the hard floors I hand sanitizer at random times. I have orange juice and bananas for snack. I personally drink green tea w honey. I wash nap items and cots daily. Toys are rotated after nap and washed. Stuffies are put in the dryer. I go on snot patrol every few minutes. I use wipes to clean more thoroughly. I just keep viligant and muddle through.
sharlan 08:18 AM 11-13-2011
As soon as the sniffles start, I start spraying and wiping everything down with Lysol, Clorox, and bleach. I can generally stop it at one or two instead of the whole family.

Don't forget doorknobs, light switches, phones, remotes, and keyboards.
e.j. 11:49 AM 11-14-2011
Originally Posted by Christina72684:
What do you do when you're sick? Or when the majority of the kids are sick? I wanted to close so badly, but knew none of my families had anywhere else to take their kids.

I tell you what, if this is a preview of what this winter is going to be like, I need to do something quick!
When I'm sick, I close. I have to be really sick in order to make that call because I don't get paid but if I were as sick as you seem to be, I'd close. My parents have all been warned to have a backup plan in case I have to close on short notice due to illness or other emergency so while I feel bad when I have to do it, I do close if I feel I have to.

When the majority of the dc kids are sick, it's business as usual for those who are not sick. The kids who are sick stay home. If they're all sick, I get the day off with pay but that has rarely happened.

Hang in there and try not to get too discouraged. When I first opened my day care, I was sick quite often. I caught pretty much everything the kids brought in. Gradually, my immune system has become stronger and I've noticed I rarely get sick anymore. I've had kids in and out with colds and fevers since September but so far (knock on wood!) I haven't had more than a slight sniffle. I hope you and your baby are feeling better soon!
cheerfuldom 12:05 PM 11-14-2011
the parents need to have a backup plan, that is their problem, not yours. I would send any sick kids home (do you have an illness policy?) and see what your mom can handle with any remainder. sounds like everyone should be sent home. Thats not the same thing as closing but you will end up getting a break anyway.
Tags:cold, flu, sick
Reply Up