Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Part Time/Full Time Drama
Unregistered 05:42 AM 11-15-2013
I'm sorry I can not sing in with my name I don't remember my Id or password Sorry!!!!
Anyway I need some help from you guys. I have a home daycare and I can say that is very successful since we are full and we have been open for only 2 months. But, there is this one mom that has found around 3 or 4 different jobs in the last month. When she has the job she puts the girl full time for a week (that's how long she last at the job) and then she wants to change her back to part time. I'm just tired of dialing with this drama, they are good parents and I love the girl but this is just getting crazy. Last week I gave her a new contract for the full time hours and than she called me saying she was very happy with her new job, 3 days latter she came crying because the job did not work out or whatever but said girl was staying full time. Today DCd comes saying he can't afford full time that she will have to be part time and of course I sais make sure you give the 2 weeks notice and you make the payment for those 2 weeks as a full time and then we can decide the price for the part time hours. this is the thing as much as I love them it just doesn't work out for me I have a waiting list and I think they are not respecting the fact that this is a business and my income, in fact my total income because my husband works with me. I feel like if she comes today with the part time story I will take my pennies out of my pocket and tell her that part time is not an option.
What should I do, anyone had this drama before?
snbauser 07:06 AM 11-15-2013
I never allowed them to bounce back and forth. And if they need to change they must give 2 weeks notice and it is based on availability. If they drop to part time, they lose priority for the spot because if a full time comes along, they are told they need to either take the full time or lose the spot.
Unregistered 08:08 AM 11-15-2013
the first time I let her do it without the 2 week notice because I was new and afraid but you now what if I don't give my business the respect it deserves then nobody will so I told the dcd that I needed the notice and the payment for those 2 weeks as a full time and then I was going to check availability for a part time. I have a boy that come m, t, w so maybe she can come th and fr. if not she will have to go. Sorry but is a business decision.
Shell 08:23 AM 11-15-2013
Seems like too much aggravation to me. If you can find a replacement family, I think you should let this one go.
TwinKristi 08:30 AM 11-15-2013
Ugh what a pain! I have one mom who kinda bounces back and forth but she started out with 3 days a week, but dropped to 2 days, then popped up to 4 days, then back to 3, but he usually drops in at least 1 extra day. Her mom pays for the extra days because technically she's committed to watching him those days but then when she has a lot of work she brings him to me. I am soooo slow it doesn't matter, the more he comes the more I get. But they pay for a minimum of 3 days a week up front and pay by the day for the extras. Anyway, it can be confusing and if I had a FT spot and waiting list I may not be so lenient.
Blackcat31 08:35 AM 11-15-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I'm sorry I can not sing in with my name I don't remember my Id or password Sorry!!!!
Anyway I need some help from you guys. I have a home daycare and I can say that is very successful since we are full and we have been open for only 2 months. But, there is this one mom that has found around 3 or 4 different jobs in the last month. When she has the job she puts the girl full time for a week (that's how long she last at the job) and then she wants to change her back to part time. I'm just tired of dialing with this drama, they are good parents and I love the girl but this is just getting crazy. Last week I gave her a new contract for the full time hours and than she called me saying she was very happy with her new job, 3 days latter she came crying because the job did not work out or whatever but said girl was staying full time. Today DCd comes saying he can't afford full time that she will have to be part time and of course I sais make sure you give the 2 weeks notice and you make the payment for those 2 weeks as a full time and then we can decide the price for the part time hours. this is the thing as much as I love them it just doesn't work out for me I have a waiting list and I think they are not respecting the fact that this is a business and my income, in fact my total income because my husband works with me. I feel like if she comes today with the part time story I will take my pennies out of my pocket and tell her that part time is not an option.
Stop offering her the ability to change back and forth.

Offer her a full time space ONLY and leave it at that.

Let HER choose to stay or go.

Do NOT allow her to have a part time space.

She (the mom) may be full of drama but you are adding fuel to that fire by allowing the back and forth.

YOU have the ability to stop it. Tell her you no longer accommodate part time schedules. period.
daycarediva 08:46 AM 11-15-2013
the first time I let her do it without the 2 week notice because I was new and afraid but you now what if I don't give my business the respect it deserves then nobody will so I told the dcd that I needed the notice and the payment for those 2 weeks as a full time and then I was going to check availability for a part time. I have a boy that come m, t, w so maybe she can come th and fr. if not she will have to go. Sorry but is a business decision.
I think this is fair, I would tell her that you need a two week notice to change schedules, and that this is the LAST time you can accept a schedule change. You WILL be filling the FT space with a reliable/consistent client/income and then have her sign a new contract, with the availability and rate of only the days YOU have available.

Over summer I had a ft client go pt, I required a two week notice, gave her the ONLY available 3 days I had, and filled her spot. He is now on my waiting list for the other two days since she now wants FT since her free daycare didn't pan out.
MotherNature 10:08 AM 11-15-2013
Originally Posted by snbauser:
I never allowed them to bounce back and forth. And if they need to change they must give 2 weeks notice and it is based on availability. If they drop to part time, they lose priority for the spot because if a full time comes along, they are told they need to either take the full time or lose the spot.

MarinaVanessa 10:42 AM 11-15-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Stop offering her the ability to change back and forth.

Offer her a full time space ONLY and leave it at that.

Let HER choose to stay or go.

Do NOT allow her to have a part time space.

She (the mom) may be full of drama but you are adding fuel to that fire by allowing the back and forth.

YOU have the ability to stop it. Tell her you no longer accommodate part time schedules. period.
Change your policies to include that FT needs take priority over PT needs and then let her know that you have someone interested in FT and that she can either stay at FT or give up her spot
Cat Herder 11:05 AM 11-15-2013
1. I have a home daycare and I can say that is very successful since we are full and we have been open for only 2 months.

2. there is this one mom that has found around 3 or 4 different jobs in the last month. When she has the job she puts the girl full time for a week (that's how long she last at the job) and then she wants to change her back to part time. saying he can't afford full time

1. New daycares are often targeted by daycare hoppers. They prey on the new providers desire to be liked. They will push and push your policies, get behind on payment until you say no, then they move on, usually owing money. If you fight back for payment, they make false claims about your care to get you to write it off. It is a scam. There are even FB groups for this... "Don't hate the player, hate the game." mentality.

2. Sounds right out of the text book.

Stick to your policies, weed them out. Check out Provider Watch.
Reply Up