Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I'm Completely New to Daycare, Have Some Questions
Jace 04:19 PM 07-12-2015
Hello everyone. I've recently been hired as an assistant infant/toddler teacher at a daycare center, and I start tomorrow. I just wanted to make a post asking for any and all advice, since I'm pretty nervous about it and really want to make a good first impression tomorrow.

So, I was just wondering if you have any helpful tips for someone who's completely new to daycare and early childhood education? Is there anything important I should focus on tomorrow, anything I definitely should not do?

I'm really just looking for any feedback because I've been doing a lot of research since I got the job, but I still feel like I'm unprepared, haha

Oh yeah, and I know this is a silly question, but as I was reading the forum I couldn't help but wonder... how many diaper changes are typically needed in a day? They mentioned during the interview that changing diapers would be one of my responsibilities, which I'm completely okay with, but to be honest, I've never changed a diaper in my life and so I'm not really sure what to expect. I'm a little bit squeamish about stuff like that, but I think I'll get over it quickly or learn to live with it, because I really do want to work with children
pandamom 06:25 PM 07-12-2015
Welcome! I work in a center too- I'm a toddler (2-3 years old) caregiver in a NAEYC center.

Frequency of diaper changes may depend on the state and center. But for us, diapers must be changed at least every 2 hours. Our regs (mandated by the Air Force) has diaper changes a 12 step process and pull ups for potty training children a 16 step process. We must do all the steps- but once you do it a few times, you can do it quickly as it become second nature.
pandamom 06:31 PM 07-12-2015
Some pieces of advice.

Observe each room to see how they run. Each room has different dynamics in what works for them. When I help another room I try to follow how they run. It helps keep the continuity. I also make sure to ask questions if I'm not sure about how they do things.

I also make sure to ask what I can do to help. Especially during slower times like during nap. People don't like to continually ask people to do things. By asking them what you can do can make things a bit easier.

Good luck and hope you enjoy your first day
DaveA 04:27 AM 07-13-2015
Pandamom has some good advise. Each room tends to have it's own "vibe" so make sure to get to understand how everyone does it "their way".

As for diapering: each state has different regs and most places have procedures of their own. You'll pick it up quickly. When my own son was born I had never changed a diaper outside of a center. My wife thought it was hilarious that I set up a changing table with gloves, spray disinfectant, and disposable pads.

The only other advise I would give is avoid office politics like the plague. Mostly its minor stuff, and if you ignore it or work around it with everyone it will make your day easier.

Good luck and have fun!
Thriftylady 09:22 AM 07-13-2015
I would watch and ask questions of the other teachers in your room. Most likely they have a flow to the day. Don't be afraid to just ask questions. As far as diaper changes, they may have a system like many of us do. I change diapers at specified times, unless I have a reason to change at a different time. So I have a schedule but if one needs changed, I change it then as well.
stephanie 04:41 PM 07-13-2015
I work at a center too! In the toddler room. I agree with all the PPs, just observe the classrooms and ask if there's anything you can do to help.

I'm sure you already know this, but make sure you don't mind snot, drool, food, paint, marker, and glue getting on whatever clothes you wear.

Diaper changes will likely be done all at once, 3-4 times a day. IME diapers are done mid-morning, after lunch, after nap, and maybe once again before the end of the day, depending on how long the center is open.

Good luck, and have fun!
Febby 05:00 PM 07-15-2015
I currently work in a preschool (3 year old) room and have for most of the time I've been in child care, but I've done enough work in infant and toddler rooms to know how it (usually) goes.

In my state, we do diaper changes at least every two hours (unless the child is asleep, then when they wake up) or immediately if they poop. When I ran a two year old room, I had my kids split into two diaper groups and did one group every hour. For example, I did 5 kids at 9AM and then a different 5 at 10AM. Everyone was always checked/changed before nap.

Most infant rooms IME do everything on demand because ratios are typically low enough for that to be practical (and in many states, it's in the regs).
Tags:daycare environment
Reply Up