Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parents Observing Before Enrolling...
SunflowerMama 06:50 AM 04-04-2011
Does anyone allow this? I know there were earlier threads that discussed this but can't seem to find them.

To be honest I don't even know if licensing would allow it during operating hours because the adult wouldn't be cleared as a 2nd provider (background check, etc.).

I'm not big on it because the kids never act themselves with other adults around but just wondering what you tell families that ask to do it.
MN Day Mom 06:57 AM 04-04-2011
I don't allow it because of just that reason, they haven't been cleared and any adult that will be spending any time around the children needs to go through the proper channels.
MsMe 07:11 AM 04-04-2011
I allow it as a second interview for up to 1.5 hours excluding lunch/snack times. I would not send my child (if I had one) to a daycare I had not observed w/children present. Children do tend to show off when outsiders come in, but we have a very solid routine and it is never more than asking the new person a lot of questions or wanting to show them all of their favorite things.
mac60 07:18 AM 04-04-2011
I have never been asked, but I would never do allow it because of many of the reasons mentioned above. They are welcome to bring their child for a short 30 minute evening visit with me first.
nannyde 07:41 AM 04-04-2011
No

I don't host visits in the playroom. My dc parents wouldn't like it and my kids would act up the whole time.

I couldn't manage it so I don't offer it.
cheerfuldom 07:56 AM 04-04-2011
no. Once they like what they have seen so far, they are welcome to drop off kiddo for one or two part time days just to see how the kid does. I have even done this for free in the past for a select few families. I don't allow parents to hang around for long periods of time, either they trust me or they don't. My initial trial period is 2 weeks and the parents or I can cancel at any time for any reason. After the two weeks, everything in my contract is firm including termination notice. I am all about routine here so it just doesn't work for me to have people in and out trying on the daycare for size. Plus I know my DC families wouldn't appreciate me interviewing or allowing strangers in the house during DC hours. I know I wouldn't want that either.
MarinaVanessa 08:23 AM 04-04-2011
The responses that say that they wouldn't allow it are intersting to me because I don't think I've ever had a parent not ask me if they could come by and observe. I actually really like to do it. All of the other parents know that I do this (since they have all done it) so that's not a problem.

Of course I hold an initial phone interview (when they call for information), a 1st interview with the parent and the child (I want to see what the family dynamic is like and how the child acts with the parent). This also lets them meet my family. Lastly I hold a short 15-30 minute 3rd interview during daycare hours so that I can see how the child interacts with the other kids. If both the family and I feel that it's right then I start the application paperwork process.

Maybe it's different here in CA but our licensing states that people that are here around the kids on a regular basis need to have background checks. I mean it's not like any of the other parents get background checks either and they're here everyday at least twice lol. I just make sure to let the potential client know that kids always act up when their parents or new faces are around and so they should expect it.
mac60 08:29 AM 04-04-2011
In 12 years I have never been asked to come observe.
MissAnn 08:30 AM 04-04-2011
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
Does anyone allow this? I know there were earlier threads that discussed this but can't seem to find them.

To be honest I don't even know if licensing would allow it during operating hours because the adult wouldn't be cleared as a 2nd provider (background check, etc.).

I'm not big on it because the kids never act themselves with other adults around but just wondering what you tell families that ask to do it.
I don't allow it for the first visit, but I allow it for the 2nd visit.....15 mnutes tops. It's hard to supervise when a potention parents has a lot of questions. Also potential kid doesn't know the rules and may have never been in childcare....may take toys and throw them all over the place (yes...speaking form experience)
MsMe 08:42 AM 04-04-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
The responses that say that they wouldn't allow it are intersting to me because I don't think I've ever had a parent not ask me if they could come by and observe. I actually really like to do it. All of the other parents know that I do this (since they have all done it) so that's not a problem.

Of course I hold an initial phone interview (when they call for information), a 1st interview with the parent and the child (I want to see what the family dynamic is like and how the child acts with the parent). This also lets them meet my family. Lastly I hold a short 15-30 minute 3rd interview during daycare hours so that I can see how the child interacts with the other kids. If both the family and I feel that it's right then I start the application paperwork process.

Maybe it's different here in CA but our licensing states that people that are here around the kids on a regular basis need to have background checks. I mean it's not like any of the other parents get background checks either and they're here everyday at least twice lol. I just make sure to let the potential client know that kids always act up when their parents or new faces are around and so they should expect it.
I have also always been asked if they are allowed to come and observe. If a parent doesnt ask it is a red flag to me. I have found a pattern of the more questions families ask in the interview the better I get along with the family. I have my first interview after hours on a week night. I make it clear this is the time for questions and the observation interview is not. I would be more than happy to have another phone call or short visit if they wanted to discuss more after the visit.
daycare 08:43 AM 04-04-2011
I have not allowed it, but am starting to think that I will allow for it once enrolled. I have had 3 interviews that went great. All of the families had asked if they could come bring their child to observe my teaching program and to see how their child got along with the other children.

I denied all of the families and none of them enrolled. Only one told me that they will not just leave their child withsome they hardly know, even if it is for an hour. (I offered the family to bring the child for a free hour, before enrolling)

So now I am thinking that if I can get them to enroll at least for a trial period, and stress the NO COMMITMENT for that time frame, I may allow for them to come observe. Our entire realtionship is built on trust and I think that it is normal for some people to not trust a provider right away. Builing the right foundation from the start will build a healtnhy stable realtionship between the family and provider.

After all, this is their child we are talking about. I think that I would want to do the same thing with my child.
littlemissmuffet 09:10 AM 04-04-2011
Nope. Parents never cross my entrance way after the interview process.
MsMe 09:34 AM 04-04-2011
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
are they not allowed or do they just not care to? I only ask because many of my parentst that have 4:00 or before pick up stick around for long periods of time letting their children finish an activity or play outside if it is a nice day. We chat sometimes about their child but mostly just friendly chit chat. I love showing my program off to parents and would be sad if they never saw it.
littlemissmuffet 09:51 AM 04-04-2011
They can come in passed the entry way, they just never do - they know the kids go crazy when an outsider is around and they don't want to create that extra stress. However, I would stop them before they ever got to the daycare room, that's for sure.
nannyde 10:02 AM 04-04-2011
Originally Posted by LLD:
I have also always been asked if they are allowed to come and observe. If a parent doesnt ask it is a red flag to me.
Red flag for what?

I have clients that I have worked for for 3-7 years and they have never asked. I haven't had any problems with them for that long of a time. If not asking to visit the other kids is an indicator of problems... what problems would that be?
MsMe 10:10 AM 04-04-2011
They can come in passed the entry way, they just never do - they know the kids go crazy when an outsider is around and they don't want to create that extra stress. However, I would stop them before they ever got to the daycare room, that's for sure.
I find this kinda odd why would visiting the daycare room not be allowed? Kids do get a little excited but the daycare parents really are not strangers anymore and are generaly ignored.

I have visited all of the area preschool for my CDA work. One preschool has a parent provided snack each day. The parent(s) stay for the whole three hours are involved and interact wtih each activity. This was by far the best run program and after a couple of "who are you" "what are you writting" they moved on and left me alone.
Blackcat31 10:21 AM 04-04-2011
Same way here too.

Mine come in and check the place out and ask whatever questions they have but after they enroll, they come into the coat room and hand their child over the gate (if still held) or the child comes through the gate themselves, but after interview, no one ever goes past the gate....well, every once in a blue moon a parent will ask to use the rest room but it has only happened a few times in 16+ years so.....

In my case, I think it is just the way the entry is set up and the fact that I do NOT allow shoes beyond that area either. I also have a small house so I think it is just simply easier to take the child's stuff off, hang it in the cubby space and kiss them goodbye and go...and at pick up the reverse.
MsMe 10:23 AM 04-04-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Red flag for what?

I have clients that I have worked for for 3-7 years and they have never asked. I haven't had any problems with them for that long of a time. If not asking to visit the other kids is an indicator of problems... what problems would that be?
When I first opened my program parents that did not ask to come and observe were the ones who didn't return paperwork ontime, late payments, forgot to send snowplay/swimming clothes, ignored supply requests, hard to communicate with, and generaly not involved with their childs care. I have had observation interviews with all of my current parents and I rarely have troubles with parents. I am not saying it is a rule set in stone and I am sure your families are wonderful. This is just what works for me.
MsMe 10:28 AM 04-04-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Same way here too.

Mine come in and check the place out and ask whatever questions they have but after they enroll, they come into the coat room and hand their child over the gate (if still held) or the child comes through the gate themselves, but after interview, no one ever goes past the gate....well, every once in a blue moon a parent will ask to use the rest room but it has only happened a few times in 16+ years so.....

In my case, I think it is just the way the entry is set up and the fact that I do NOT allow shoes beyond that area either. I also have a small house so I think it is just simply easier to take the child's stuff off, hang it in the cubby space and kiss them goodbye and go...and at pick up the reverse.
If we are in the house at the end of the day we go on about what we are doing and Mom/Dad come to us. I continue activies untill the last child is gone and if I stoppped everytime a parent came to the door I would have 10 kids running around with nothing to do. They come in and remove their child from storytime/musical chairs/play-doh. Most times we chat a few minutes about the childs day while they finish what they are doing.
Blackcat31 10:41 AM 04-04-2011
If we are in the house at the end of the day we go on about what we are doing and Mom/Dad come to us. I continue activies untill the last child is gone and if I stoppped everytime a parent came to the door I would have 10 kids running around with nothing to do. They come in and remove their child from storytime/musical chairs/play-doh. Most times we chat a few minutes about the childs day while they finish what they are doing.
That is a good example of how set-up plays a big role in the behaviors of your kids and your parents. I am starting to really appreciate how my house is laid out after reading all these posts because my main kitchen/eating area is the center of the house with the entryway off to one side and all three other play rooms directly off the main area so I can supervise all the activities all from one central area while saying hello to each parent. https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24391 I can stand right inside the white 1/2 door and see every room clearly.

I also wrap up any activites that are too complex before 4:00 since no one starts picking up until then and if we are in the middle of something then a kid never wants to leave and I hate having to go through the whole routine of convincing a child that it is time to go.....
nannyde 10:52 AM 04-04-2011
When I first opened my program parents that did not ask to come and observe were the ones who didn't return paperwork ontime, late payments, forgot to send snowplay/swimming clothes, ignored supply requests, hard to communicate with, and generaly not involved with their childs care. I have had observation interviews with all of my current parents and I rarely have troubles with parents. I am not saying it is a rule set in stone and I am sure your families are wonderful. This is just what works for me.
Wow I've never seen that. I've never heard it before either. That's interesting.
Lucy 10:54 AM 04-04-2011
Here is a previous thread on the subject.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27472
MsMe 10:54 AM 04-04-2011
I too love the layout of my home. I choose simple activities that do not require clean up for the end of the day. Just something that keeps us all together and entertained. The parents love coming in and seeing their child hard at work on a clay sculpture, or showing off their favorite dance moves. End of the day story times also give me the perfect oppertunity to let a parent see me reading a book they that have donated or gifted to the daycare
littlemissmuffet 11:17 AM 04-04-2011
I find this kinda odd why would visiting the daycare room not be allowed? Kids do get a little excited but the daycare parents really are not strangers anymore and are generaly ignored.

I have visited all of the area preschool for my CDA work. One preschool has a parent provided snack each day. The parent(s) stay for the whole three hours are involved and interact wtih each activity. This was by far the best run program and after a couple of "who are you" "what are you writting" they moved on and left me alone.
Because, there is absolutely no reason for a parent to come into the daycare room. Their children's coats, shoes, cubbies and any paperwork that needs to be seen/go home is in the entrance. Their welcome to use the washroom, as that is in the entrance way as well, are welcome to grab some water, a tissue, whatever from the kicthen - but they're not coming into the playroom while other children are there... there is no reason for it. That's just how it is here, and all my parents are totally fine with that... I've never even had a parent attempt to enter the playroom.
littlemissmuffet 11:20 AM 04-04-2011
My parents all pick up between 4:30 and 5:30 - and that time period here is either outdoor play or free play, so I don't have the issue of parents arriving during structured activities. I assist with getting the kids ready to go and chat with the parents at this time while the other children remain in the playroom... playing If we're outside, they just grab their kid and go.
MsMe 11:32 AM 04-04-2011
My parents all pick up between 4:30 and 5:30 - and that time period here is either outdoor play or free play, so I don't have the issue of parents arriving during structured activities. I assist with getting the kids ready to go and chat with the parents at this time while the other children remain in the playroom... playing If we're outside, they just grab their kid and go.
I love that I found this site and can talk with other providers. I think it is interesting that we prefer to end our days so differently. I do not like the childtren to have free play at the end of the day (too much going on) and prefer the parents to see me interacting with the kids in a structured activity. I also do not help with coats/ shoes at the end of the day. Weather permitting We have outdoor free play at the end of the day...so this really only applies on cold/hot/rainy days.
Live and Learn 11:33 AM 04-04-2011
My clients are all people I know or referred to me by friends or past clients. In seven years I have never been asked to be observed. My dc parents are all "pre-sold" before they come for my interview.

Interesting how widely our experiences vary.
PitterPatter 12:14 PM 04-04-2011
I have never been asked to allow an observation.

I don't think I would allow it simply because there are a lot of weidros out there. If a parent actually enrolls, signs the contract and hands over the notarized Auth form then they are more than welcome to hang out for a hour or so. They can always pull their child out if I don't meet their expectations, that's what the trial period is for.
ammama 12:27 PM 04-04-2011
I allow a second interview during dayhome hours. As a parent, I don't think I would feel comfortable without it, so I always offer it. Only a few families have actually done it, but all of them felt better for it, I know. I don't mind them - my routine is so strong that my kids rarely act up when another adult is here, and I always have a few activities on stand-by to occupy them if they do.
MsMe 12:33 PM 04-04-2011
Originally Posted by Tygerluv:
I have never been asked to allow an observation.

I don't think I would allow it simply because there are a lot of weidros out there. If a parent actually enrolls, signs the contract and hands over the notarized Auth form then they are more than welcome to hang out for a hour or so. They can always pull their child out if I don't meet their expectations, that's what the trial period is for.
I only do observation interviews for families I have met with and would feel comfertable allowing into my program. I am interviewing them as much as they are me. If i felt like they were a 'weirdo' or otherwise unsafe I would not continue the interview process after the first interview that is held after hours.
nannyde 12:37 PM 04-04-2011
I love that I found this site and can talk with other providers. I think it is interesting that we prefer to end our days so differently. I do not like the childtren to have free play at the end of the day (too much going on) and prefer the parents to see me interacting with the kids in a structured activity. I also do not help with coats/ shoes at the end of the day. Weather permitting We have outdoor free play at the end of the day...so this really only applies on cold/hot/rainy days.
The kids just free play indoors after nap. We don't do any structured activities. We do all of the dressing and undressing and we do all the arrivals and departures at the front door. The interacting I do with the kids is just talking to their parents while they wait for time to walk out the door. I don't do any instructing or interaction directed at them.

Completely opposite. but that's cool. There's no one size fits all approach.
Unregistered 12:57 PM 04-04-2011
I would never consider a situation where a parent was not welcome. I so much prefer situations with participation. No problem with a background screen for parents, either.
ninosqueridos 01:48 PM 04-04-2011
Never been asked and wouldn't allow it. I use the 2 week trial in the beginning as their "test"..............(and MY test, too hehe)
SilverSabre25 01:51 PM 04-04-2011
I don't think I've ever been asked.

I wonder if it's a regional thing?
nannyde 02:15 PM 04-04-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
No problem with a background screen for parents, either.
That's not very realistic. We don't have a one stop shop to do criminal checks in every state, fingerprinting, and child abuse registry checks.

Just because someone has a child and can pay for or access funding for child care it doesn't mean they are safe. In fact, it's not an indicator in any way.
MsMe 02:41 PM 04-04-2011
I aske one of my daycare Moms tonight at pick up if she would have signed on (I have her three year old and new baby due this week) if I had not allowed the observation visit. The look on her face said it all. NO WAY. She was amazed anyone would not ask/not allow visits.

Maybe it is a regional thing? I am in the Midwest. Where are you from?

...then again maybe not. I am VERY close to Nannyde and she has not been asked.
nannyde 03:05 PM 04-04-2011
I aske one of my daycare Moms tonight at pick up if she would have signed on (I have her three year old and new baby due this week) if I had not allowed the observation visit. The look on her face said it all. NO WAY. She was amazed anyone would not ask/not allow visits.

Maybe it is a regional thing? I am in the Midwest. Where are you from?

Oh I've been asked. I just tell them the kids will act up so I don't allow it. It's not complicated or personal. It's just not something I offer.
nannyde 03:06 PM 04-04-2011
Are you one of the one hundred plus daycare's within a mile of my house?
Unregistered 03:19 PM 04-04-2011
Just what proves that a parent or caregiver is 'SAFE'?
( I think Tata passed a background check and had good references.)
Frankly, a willingness to be observed in the context of good child caring is a big indicator, but nothing will ever be 100%. Dropping in, calling, talking to other parents, these are indications of a trusting and open environment.

The concept of not allowing parents into the circle of care is completely foreign to me.

How do you expect parents to evaluate the situation?
littlemissmuffet 03:35 PM 04-04-2011
Likewise! Thanks for explaining your side of things!

My parents know I interact with their children by talking to their children... they don't need to see it. At pick up when it's "What did you do today?" my two older children are STILL talking about their day after the long car ride home!
The parents know I interact with the littles because here is where they learn to walk and often speak their first words, where they learn where their toes and bellybutton are, where they learn all the beginning basics.
The kids run in the door in the morning and are super happy at the end of the day - that's all my parents need to see to know that I am very involved

The reason I do help with shoes and coats is because it gives me a chance to catch mom/dad up about any information they may need to know without wasting anyone's time. My parents are tired at the end of the day (and know I am too) and want to get home to start supper and relaxing! Killing two birds with one stone is how we roll!

The last hour of the day (4:30-5:30) is stress-free here... we start supper, start tidying, etc - just wondering what you meant by "too much going on"?
TIA!
littlemissmuffet 03:41 PM 04-04-2011
I also do not even understand the point of "observation visits"... what could it possibly prove?

I have seen women tending to children in public or with company around that act COMPETELY different behind closed doors... even if a provider was lying through her teeth about herself and her program, you'd probably never know during one of these scheduled observations, right? She'd be on her best behavior, no?

One thing I do absolutely welcome is "suprise visits/check ins" from parents (in my open door policy). Come on in and check up on how things are going (this is MUCH MORE indicitive of a trustworthy provider, IMO)... just be willing to take little Johnny home with you after you're done "checking in"
JenNJ 03:55 PM 04-04-2011
Nope. No strangers near the children. No amount of phone interviews, in person interviews, etc is ever going to be enough to take them off the stranger list. I have no idea what potential clients act like in their free time. They could be horrible, awful people. It is not my job to decide who my daycare kids hang out with. It is my job to protect them. And since I know NOTHING about these potential clients, my answer is NO.

I really don't even like current parents around my dc kids. Too many incidents of "colorful" language (sure, "crap" isn't a bad word for most but when a room of toddlers start chanting it after a dc dad accidentally said it, things can get real interesting).

I am the one chosen to spend my days with these kids. Not some random interviewing parent off the street, not my friends, not my neighbors, not the mailman. I don't let ANYONE in the house unless it is needed and NO ONE enters my playroom. EVER.

Oh and I don't like clients coming past my foyer either. It just makes the kids go insane and tracks outside dirt onto my floors and newly carpeted playroom. I really love when the dads drop off. They dont even come in the door! Most have a porch goodbye.
PitterPatter 04:06 PM 04-04-2011
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
I really don't even like current parents around my dc kids. Too many incidents of "colorful" language (sure, "crap" isn't a bad word for most but when a room of toddlers start chanting it after a dc dad accidentally said it, things can get real interesting).
That brings up a good question. I don't have issues now but I have in the past and I will again someday I'm sure. So how do u handle the parents that cuss and say oops sorry then do it again every once in a while. None of my kids have picked up anything thank God but I have had the Mother of all words said in my home quite a few times and even though I was very stern with the parent about it she would slip up again another day and again oops sorry hee hee.
nannyde 04:10 PM 04-04-2011
I had this one family that I loved to bits. They were here for over three years. Both parents were sweeties and their son was an angel. The Dad helped me with handyman stuff around the house.

One day my front door screen handle broke and it was windy outside. I called him at work to ask him if he could come over on his lunch break and fix it for me.

He comes over and removes the handle, goes to the nearby hardware store, comes back and puts a new one in. It was about five mintues before nap and he BEGGED me to let him go downstairs to see his son just this once.

Of course I said yes and he tromps down the stairs. He says hi to his kid and I introduced the other kids to him. He has to scurry back to work and tells his son he has to go. His son started whining but he took it pretty well.

As soon as he leaves one of my other dcb's starts WAILING. Big fat sobbing tears. "I want to go with Jingle's Daddy." He bawled his head off all the way to bed. He somehow got an idea that he could go with the other kids Daddy and was so sad when he realized he was going for a nap. I don't think he had ever even met the Daddy.

Not the reaction I was expecting but it goes to show you that you never know what's going to happen with the other kids. It made the Daddy happy but not so much the other little boy.

Was it worth it? Sure for the Daddy it was. I would do it again in a heartbeat for a family I loved so dearly BUT it's not something I would do with a new family.
MsMe 04:28 PM 04-04-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Are you one of the one hundred plus daycare's within a mile of my house?
haha no I am not that close

I am not in Des Moines, I am in a small community within 100 miles.
MsMe 04:59 PM 04-04-2011
Likewise! Thanks for explaining your side of things!

My parents know I interact with their children by talking to their children... they don't need to see it. At pick up when it's "What did you do today?" my two older children are STILL talking about their day after the long car ride home!
The parents know I interact with the littles because here is where they learn to walk and often speak their first words, where they learn where their toes and bellybutton are, where they learn all the beginning basics.
The kids run in the door in the morning and are super happy at the end of the day - that's all my parents need to see to know that I am very involved

The reason I do help with shoes and coats is because it gives me a chance to catch mom/dad up about any information they may need to know without wasting anyone's time. My parents are tired at the end of the day (and know I am too) and want to get home to start supper and relaxing! Killing two birds with one stone is how we roll!

The last hour of the day (4:30-5:30) is stress-free here... we start supper, start tidying, etc - just wondering what you meant by "too much going on"?
TIA!
it just occured to me that we should compair the size of our programs. I am "C" provider (2 adults up to 14 children) I have a ranch style home where the whole first floor is dedicated to the daycare only. That is a lot of space and kids to let do free play and be able to have a good talk with the parents. Each parent stays for a min of 5-20 minutes each night.

Addressing another post I don't currently and never have had a parent I am worried would let anythign 'slip' while they were here.
MsMe 05:03 PM 04-04-2011
I would NEVER trust a provider that didn't want me in their home and esp. if I was NEVER allowed into their play room. I encourage parents to spend as much time as possible in everypart of my daycare home.
nannyde 06:10 PM 04-04-2011
I would NEVER trust a provider that didn't want me in their home and esp. if I was NEVER allowed into their play room. I encourage parents to spend as much time as possible in everypart of my daycare home.
I woudn't trust a provider who didn't want me in their home or didn't want me to see their playroom. I agree with you on that.

The parents should see all of the child occupied areas in the house and should be allowed access into the house whenever their child is in the home. That's a given.

My parents see the play areas three times before enrolling and they are let in the door within seconds of hitting my driveway. I answer the door in less than thirty seconds 95 percent of the time. The only time they have to wait more than a few seconds is if I'm changing a kid or laying a kid down for a nap.

If the parent is particualarily interested in the playrooms and wants to spend time in the playrooms I would happily oblige them and offer it to them in the evening after I have closed or on the weekend. They are welcome to come spend hours in them if they want. I've never had anyone ask me to do that but I wouldn't have a problem doing that for them. They DO have a right to fully inspect a playroom and any child occupied room. I just haven't had someone feel as strongly about the playroom as you seem to be.
Unregistered 06:21 PM 04-04-2011
not allowing observing during daycare hours for prospective families is VERY different than not allowing the other things mentioned in this post. My home is open at all daycare hours for parents to drop in at any time. It is their right to call, email, text as much as they feel is needed. I can't promise to be available at each moment but I understand that they have a right to know what is going on with their child. They are welcome to come by and pickup at any time or do occasional surprise visits for their peace of mind. I have nothing to hide and each family gets a complete tour of my home and property. I do still have appropriate boundaries so the routine of the day is not distrupted on a constant basis and so that I and my family maintain our privacy outside of daycare hours. If a parent feels that constant supervision of me and my set up is necessarily after weeks or months of care (where I have proven it is no longer necessary) than perhaps this isn't the situation for them. A nanny or other scenario where they have a lot of control and capability to micromanage would best suit their needs. I completely understand where some of you are coming from but we all have to draw a line in protecting ourselves, our home and our current family regardless of what other clients may want. It again goes to that everlasting issue of group dynamics that we all face. We have to make decisions based on what is best for the group and that isn't always what is easiest or more convenient for a particular family. On a side note, I don't let parents come in and hang out for long periods on pickup time because normally it is my own two kids that are trying to go home with them and getting upset that the kids are leaving. I also find that the DC kids struggle with behavior as parents come in and generally, do nothing when their kid acts up but will get offended should I say something. For us, its a tough time and not a great time to do more than touch base quickly.
cheerfuldom 06:22 PM 04-04-2011
not allowing observing during daycare hours for prospective families is VERY different than not allowing the other things mentioned in this post. My home is open at all daycare hours for parents to drop in at any time. It is their right to call, email, text as much as they feel is needed. I can't promise to be available at each moment but I understand that they have a right to know what is going on with their child. They are welcome to come by and pickup at any time or do occasional surprise visits for their peace of mind. I have nothing to hide and each family gets a complete tour of my home and property. I do still have appropriate boundaries so the routine of the day is not distrupted on a constant basis and so that I and my family maintain our privacy outside of daycare hours. If a parent feels that constant supervision of me and my set up is necessarily after weeks or months of care (where I have proven it is no longer necessary) than perhaps this isn't the situation for them. A nanny or other scenario where they have a lot of control and capability to micromanage would best suit their needs. I completely understand where some of you are coming from but we all have to draw a line in protecting ourselves, our home and our current family regardless of what other clients may want. It again goes to that everlasting issue of group dynamics that we all face. We have to make decisions based on what is best for the group and that isn't always what is easiest or more convenient for a particular family. On a side note, I don't let parents come in and hang out for long periods on pickup time because normally it is my own two kids that are trying to go home with them and getting upset that the kids are leaving. I also find that the DC kids struggle with behavior as parents come in and generally, do nothing when their kid acts up but will get offended should I say something. For us, its a tough time and not a great time to do more than touch base quickly.
JenNJ 04:50 AM 04-05-2011
I agree cheerful. I am like nannyde. I offer full access to their child at any time but that doesn't mean they can stay in the playroom for hours. It means, "here is your kid. Have a great day. Bye bye." They can inspect the child care areas after hours. No access to the rest of my home ever. No exceptions.
MsMe 05:18 AM 04-05-2011
I also do not even understand the point of "observation visits"... what could it possibly prove?

I have seen women tending to children in public or with company around that act COMPETELY different behind closed doors... even if a provider was lying through her teeth about herself and her program, you'd probably never know during one of these scheduled observations, right? She'd be on her best behavior, no?

One thing I do absolutely welcome is "suprise visits/check ins" from parents (in my open door policy). Come on in and check up on how things are going (this is MUCH MORE indicitive of a trustworthy provider, IMO)... just be willing to take little Johnny home with you after you're done "checking in"
There is much a parent could observe durign a visit. When I have an interview we follow the same routine that we do everyday. Storytime, group activity, rest room break, and free play. If the kids don't know body basics, the wellcome soem(and for us the PofA) then you can tell the provider doesnt really do it each day and may be "on her best behavior" if the children don't seem to know the routines, transitions, and scheduale of activities then it is a big indicator that this is not what a normal day it like for them. Children do tend to show off a little when a visiter comes but it has never been anything beyond a few extra questions and some show and tell. Each family in my program did an observation visit before they started and are all informed when another with be happening.

I should also mention that I do 1-2 interviews each YEAR. I only replace children going to Kinder or the very rare and very sad move away. I interview on my own no less then 5 families for each spot. I am very blessed to live in an area where all of my families are professionals and daycare is still very much needed. 95% of my families work at the two local corperations and all either previously knew eachother (and in most cases refered) or have become close since starting my program. The women have formed a Bunco group and the men golf together. I personaly do not participate in activites with parents outside of daycare hours (that si my line) but I love that they have become and my daycare kids spend lots of time together outside of daycre.

I think maybe we live in very different places. Everyone has to do what works best for them.
countrymom 05:41 AM 04-05-2011
well, first, I haven't ever been asked to "observe" I'm not sure what parents want to observe. Is it me or is it the children. Frankly I think its the children.

I started doing interviews during the day so parents can see the kids play and because i was so tired of all the no shows that would disrupt my evenings. What I have found is, the ones that don't sign on is because they don't like the kids that are here, nothing to do with me or that I have too many things and the kids don't want to go home (yup I've had people acually do this)

I find that the minute I meet the parents I know whether or not they will work. Like look at the last interview, The dad was so stuck on how will his child nap it became annoying. I knew the minute they walked thru the door they weren't going to sign on. Not only where the kids crazy because a new kid was here but the parents were helping their ds and my children didn't like that there was other adults there.

Its like school, we as parents don't go in and sit and observe a whole days worth of teaching, we have to trust our instincts whether its going to work or not.

I'm now not going to allow interviews during the day because its not working either. Kids just don't like a stranger sitting there watching their every moves.
Meeko 06:47 AM 04-05-2011
Because, there is absolutely no reason for a parent to come into the daycare room. Their children's coats, shoes, cubbies and any paperwork that needs to be seen/go home is in the entrance. Their welcome to use the washroom, as that is in the entrance way as well, are welcome to grab some water, a tissue, whatever from the kicthen - but they're not coming into the playroom while other children are there... there is no reason for it. That's just how it is here, and all my parents are totally fine with that... I've never even had a parent attempt to enter the playroom.
In an earlier post I explained how we found out that an "observing" dad was a registered sex offender (rape of a child). His offense was in another state and he had been let out of prison due to good behavior and "therapy" (yeah...right)

You don't know who is in your home, or who is letting kids climb on their lap etc......no matter how nice they seem. The safety of the kids in my care is my utmost concern and NOBODY spends time in the playroom other than myself and my helper. The parents of our current children LIKE the idea that their kids are not around other adults. If I had parents in the same room, I would have to spend my time keeping an eye on them instead of the kids.

Take it from me, I learned the hard way how dangerous it can be to have other adults in the same room as the kids. The kids in my care were interviewed by the state after we discovered that the "dad" was abusing his own daughter and was also spending a lot of time at the day care. (He's in prison now) They didn't find anything, but it scared me half to death to think that I LET this man into my playroom. He was a registered offender (his poor wife didn't know) but there are many predators out there who just haven't been caught yet and appear to be the nicest people on earth. By the way....I now run every interview prospect and every enrolled parent through the sex offenders list and through the arrest check. (I do it every few months) It made me sad that I have found more than one on the sex offenders list and several who have been up on drug charges etc. People that you would never suspect just by looking at them.

I have sadly become very cynical as to people's true intentions and I take great care to protect my kids in care.

The parents can of course stick their head around the door to see "the new toy" or "the new bookshelf" etc.....but they cannot stay.
nannyde 07:09 AM 04-05-2011
There is much a parent could observe durign a visit. When I have an interview we follow the same routine that we do everyday. Storytime, group activity, rest room break, and free play. If the kids don't know body basics, the wellcome soem(and for us the PofA) then you can tell the provider doesnt really do it each day and may be "on her best behavior" if the children don't seem to know the routines, transitions, and scheduale of activities then it is a big indicator that this is not what a normal day it like for them. Children do tend to show off a little when a visiter comes but it has never been anything beyond a few extra questions and some show and tell. Each family in my program did an observation visit before they started and are all informed when another with be happening.

I should also mention that I do 1-2 interviews each YEAR. I only replace children going to Kinder or the very rare and very sad move away. I interview on my own no less then 5 families for each spot. I am very blessed to live in an area where all of my families are professionals and daycare is still very much needed. 95% of my families work at the two local corperations and all either previously knew eachother (and in most cases refered) or have become close since starting my program. The women have formed a Bunco group and the men golf together. I personaly do not participate in activites with parents outside of daycare hours (that si my line) but I love that they have become and my daycare kids spend lots of time together outside of daycre.

I think maybe we live in very different places. Everyone has to do what works best for them.
I think I get it.

You do an educational "program"... DAP kind of program. I could definitely see parents who are paying for that wanting to come and observe your story time, group activities, behavioral learning like body basices etc.

There are a lot of us on here who do care based services: exercise, food, free play supervision, etc. not an educational program like yours.

I think that's a different client base and I don't blame them a bit for wanting to observe your teaching.
daycare 07:25 PM 04-05-2011
I decided that I am going to allow for a parent to observe my program ( I also teach) with the following information prior to the visit:
1. I get a copy of their State ID or DL
2. They fill out a form with all of their personal information, including full name, address, phone, employer, name of significant other and reason they want to visit the program.
3.The visit will not be more than 30 minutes (per licensing) unless they have all necessary clearance that is required by state…(which I know they won’t)

I will only do it on a day that my husband is here so that if I have to go to the bathroom or leave the room for any reason, he will be with the kids.
Checkinkids.com 07:03 PM 04-06-2011
At my wife's daycare - occasionally new clients want to visit before signing up ad she lets them. But instead of letting them just hang out in the play room, she kind of takes them on a tour and then back towards the front door. Some of the kids do act up when a new adult is around, but she doesn't let them just hang around for a long time. Also for some of the older kids - taking a minute to explain to them who this person is and why it is important to be on best behavior helps(not always, but sometimes).
nannyde 03:12 AM 04-07-2011
Originally Posted by Checkinkids.com:
At my wife's daycare - occasionally new clients want to visit before signing up ad she lets them. But instead of letting them just hang out in the play room, she kind of takes them on a tour and then back towards the front door. Some of the kids do act up when a new adult is around, but she doesn't let them just hang around for a long time. Also for some of the older kids - taking a minute to explain to them who this person is and why it is important to be on best behavior helps(not always, but sometimes).
I think most of us do that during the interview process.

Would your wife allow the parents to come and hang out for a few hours for the first few days IN your play room with the kids?
SimpleMom 05:11 AM 04-07-2011
Yes, I allow it. I let parents know that my attention will be on the children. I pick a time that works best with the group and make sure I have extra activities set up for back-up in case, well, when they begin acting out It can be a little more work, but it doesn't bother me.
Tags:interview, parents - observing
Reply Up