Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When To Start A Cirriculum
Miss Lindsey 05:10 AM 02-04-2011
At what age do you all purchase a cirriculum to use in your daycare? I have 3 infants, and one 16 month old. I read somewhere telling parents to never choose a daycare that doesnt have AND use a cirriculum. I kinda thought it was too early to look at cirriculums, but maybe not!
SilverSabre25 05:14 AM 02-04-2011
Originally Posted by Miss Lindsey:
At what age do you all purchase a cirriculum to use in your daycare? I have 3 infants, and one 16 month old. I read somewhere telling parents to never choose a daycare that doesnt have AND use a cirriculum. I kinda thought it was too early to look at cirriculums, but maybe not!
That's a stupid recommendation, IMO. Kids that young don't need a boxed curriculum; they have their entire lives ahead of them. Read to them, sing to them, play with them, take them on walks and point out clouds and birds and mailboxes, let them dig in the sand and the dirt and play with fingerpaint and playdough, answer their questions, and snuggle/cuddle/hold/love them. You'll do fine. Throw in teaching self-sufficiency like self-feeding, putting on their own socks and shoes and coat, problem-solving skills and conflict resolution skills, and you'll be golden.

And if a parent doesn't want to use your program because you don't have a formal curriculum that has your 2 year old sitting down filling out worksheets and whatnot, then you probably don't want them as a client in the first place.
kendallina 05:16 AM 02-04-2011
I wouldn't purchase a curriculum for 3 infants and a 16-month old. But, I would do some internet searching and come up with some great activities to do with those ages (particularly the 16-month old). If you're planning on advertising spots for 2 or 3 year old children then you might want to consider a curriculum or at least having planned activities for the children each day.

ETA: Yeh, I like SilverSabre's answer better, I'll go with that.
Sunny Day 07:36 AM 02-04-2011
I run a curriculum by Brightly Beaming Resources--its fantastic and FREE online! I did, however, learn that when they are that young they're not really interested in it and honestly found it a LOT of work for me and then the kids didn't want much to do with it. They learn so much from just playing and interacting with you--like someone else said, they have LOTS of time to be boxed into learning! The nice thing about a curriculum is that it can help you come up with ideas as to what to do with the kids. I just did a very simple theme that I would run 2 weeks at a time and then looked up fun things to do with that theme (examples: jungle, cows, babies, snow, etc.) I gave up the curriculum and started it again when they were a bit older and it went much better.
melskids 10:01 AM 02-04-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
That's a stupid recommendation, IMO. Kids that young don't need a boxed curriculum; they have their entire lives ahead of them. Read to them, sing to them, play with them, take them on walks and point out clouds and birds and mailboxes, let them dig in the sand and the dirt and play with fingerpaint and playdough, answer their questions, and snuggle/cuddle/hold/love them. You'll do fine. Throw in teaching self-sufficiency like self-feeding, putting on their own socks and shoes and coat, problem-solving skills and conflict resolution skills, and you'll be golden.And if a parent doesn't want to use your program because you don't have a formal curriculum that has your 2 year old sitting down filling out worksheets and whatnot, then you probably don't want them as a client in the first place.
THAT is curriculum!!!!
SunflowerMama 10:23 AM 02-04-2011
Originally Posted by melskids:
THAT is curriculum!!!!
Exactly!!
Reply Up