Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>St Patrick's Day Need Ideas
Michelle 06:41 AM 03-16-2011
I don't usually do much for St. Patricks Day but I saw this cute leprechaun hat and I couldn't help myself

I bought a "pot of gold" (green bowl and chocolate coins) and my 6'1 son is going to wear the leprechaun hat but thats as far as I can plan...
Does anyone have any St Patricks Day stories or activities I can do?
We are already going to have green day...food, painting etc. I just don't know what to do with my tall skinny leprechaun boy!
Zoe 06:57 AM 03-16-2011
Is your son going to be home during daycare? Could you play a game around him? Like ring around the leprechaun?

Yesterday, I drew out different shapes and cut them out for the kids to make different shaped 4-leaf clovers. Like hearts, circles, and squares. And the stem was a triangle. The kids thought they looked funny and it was good shape and counting practice.
Michelle 07:37 AM 03-16-2011
yes he will be here, ok that sounds good, forgot about four leaf clovers!
I am more of a Christmas , Easter, kinda person but I want to take advantage of the green, shape idea you gave me , thanks
Michelle 07:39 AM 03-16-2011
does anyone know where I can get free clover patterns?
Zoe 07:43 AM 03-16-2011
I use this website frequently. All you need to do with a four leaf clover is put four hearts together at the bottom (like make a square).

Here's a link if you're interested.
http://www.first-school.ws/theme/h_st_patricks_day.htm
Blackcat31 07:55 AM 03-16-2011
Originally Posted by Michelle:
does anyone know where I can get free clover patterns?
Send me your e-mail address in a PM and I will e-mail you LOADS of toddler and preschool St. Patty day crafts/activities/games.....including multiple clover templates.
ammama 11:24 AM 03-16-2011
We're making irish soda bread, and doing a treasure hunt in the afternoon. The kids are going to make their own baskets (I'm using the plastic green strawberry baskets, and giving them ribbons to weave in), and i'm going to hide... something. I haven't decided what to hide yet. I don't want to use candy or chocolate - I hate sending them home with that stuff when these kids really don't eat much candy/junk here, or at home. I might make some silver coins to find by covering circles of cardboard with aluminum foil.
thecrazyisout 12:09 PM 03-16-2011
We are going to make green eggs and ham and green milk all day (food coloring), then I am hiding gold coins inside and outside. Then the boys will be given hints as to where to find the leprechaun's treasure! I am Drawing a huge rainbow tonight to put on the door!!!

I am also painting leprechaun masks for them tonight. I am trying to think of one last thing for us to do as a snack...
Michelle 03:13 PM 03-16-2011
wow thanks for all the ideas!
SilverSabre25 04:15 PM 03-16-2011
I commend all of you who are doing stuff for St Patty's day and wish you very fun days.

Tomorrow is complicated enough for my house that I'm not even likely to manage to wear green, let alone do something special. My ILs are picking my DD up for a two day sleepover (bleh...wish I could get her out of it...hate my ILs), one dcg is getting picked up "Really early, between 11 and 12:30", another gets picked up at 12:30, I have an OB appt at the same time my DH has to drive my mom to a doctor's appt, my sister is going to have to watch all my dcks AND her son and HER two dcks, we only have one car so I'll have to drive my sister's van...and tonight when I need to be cleaning up for the ILs being here (in the middle of the freaking day when I have 6 kiddos around!!!!! AUGH!!!!) and packing my DD's stuff and she needs a bath tonight, I have a dcg here until maybe as late as 9 or 9:30...when my DD usually is in bed by 8:30 (she needs parented to sleep though and the dcg is only 2 so DD's bedtime simply has to wait).

Yeah.

Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone.

Drink some green beer for me...I'm gonna need it (vicariously)!
e.j. 04:20 PM 03-16-2011
I have a fairly young group tomorrow so we'll be making a shamrock man similar to this:

http://www.allkidsnetwork.com/crafts...ks-day-man.asp

We'll have Magic Leprachaun Pudding for snack which is vanilla pudding with a dot of green food coloring. The kids will use a Keebler Elffudge cookie (aka a leprachaun) to stir the dot into the pudding, turning the pudding green. Not the healthiest snack, I know, but it's just one day and it's fun.
boysx5 02:52 AM 03-17-2011
we had a party yesterday since everyone was here it was very low key. Today we have another party for a bday and I feel like when we do too much they get crazy
melissa ann 03:55 AM 03-17-2011
This is what we did the other day. We used green constuction paper to make a hat, cut out the center of a paper plate and glued orange strips for a beard. We then cut out a strip of paper and stapled it to the back the hat to form a circle to put it over their heads. Kids loved it.
Attached: ryan lepruchan.jpg (72.0 KB) hannah lepruchan.jpg (81.4 KB) 
Tags:saint patrick's - activites, saint patrick's day, saint patrick's day - ideas
Reply Up