Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Walking Trip Tactics
thecrazyisout 04:12 PM 03-22-2011
How do you all take walks with your kids? What safety measures do you use?

i.e) Back Pack leashes for toddlers...

How old are they when they have to walk and not ride in the stroller?
Unregistered 05:50 PM 03-22-2011
I keep my children in strollers until they hit the 2.5 yrs mark. Any younger and they have a hard time simultaniously walking, holding onto the side of stroller and paying attention to WHERE they are walking. At 2.5 I transition them onto back pack harnesses (or leashes), where they are still holding onto the side of the stroller closest to me, which is usually in the back of the stroller. I'll do this for three months before taking off the harness and allowing them to just hold onto the stroller. By 3yo, they have the hang of it pretty well and our walks are much smoother ( and lighter!). Usually by 2.5 their weight becomes much more noticable so I get them out of the stroller as soon as they reach this point.

I make exceptions for fieldtrips to the zoo. It's an all day event where we visit the zoo, aquarium and botanic garden and you get to point A to point B to point C by a small train. The train is guarranteed to put all of my children to sleep which usually occurs close to naptime normally, so I load the heaviest children into the stroller and let them crash while I hopefully look less like a maniac trying to comfortably manage three other children sleeping on my lap, shoulder and even on the train bench on a blanket. It works
Lucy 06:34 PM 03-22-2011
I have a double stroller and will always use it for my two youngest children. (Unless the youngest happen to be like 4 or 5 yrs old or something!) I don't care if they CAN walk or not -- if I have a 1 yr old and a 3 yr old, as well as a couple 5 or 6 yr olds, the 1 and 3 yr olds would both go in the stroller. If I have two 3 yr olds with the rest being older, both the 3 yr olds will go in the stroller. Just makes it easier for me if two kids are in the stroller at all times. Cuts down on the number of walkers. The walkers hold on to the sides of the stroller unless they are responsible enough to stay right next to me, which is usually about age 6, in my experience. I detest leashes, whether they are backpack type or otherwise.
daycare 06:47 PM 03-22-2011
I must have looked crazy when I took the kids out to the local park walking distance. I have a 4 seater wagon and I would strap the 1.5 year old on my back and then with the other hand push a stroller. I dont like crossing the street to get to the park without them secured into something. I wont let any of them walk. lol I count it as part of my workout but my husband says that is cheating....lol

I sitll don't let them walk, but I have less kids now and the little one is now 2.5 so I don't strap them to my back any more in the hiking backpack..
ammama 07:11 PM 03-22-2011
hmm, I seem much more lenient than others. I put the youngest 1 or 2 in the stroller (currently right now that is 1 or 2, 2.5 yr olds) depending on if they can keep up without being dragged and throwing a tantrum. The other kids (ages 3, 4, 4, 4) all walk. I don't make them hold the stroller, unless we are crossing a street. We only walk on back neighbourhood roads, no main roads, and the kids I have now I have had for at least a year each. I have NEVER had a child bolt on me. If I am unsure about a specific child (such as for the first 3-4 months they are with me minimum, longer if I feel they may run into the street), I will make them hold the stroller with me. We're lucky in that none of the sidewalks are RIGHT on the road, there is a grassy/treed area between the sidewalk and road. I let the kids walk up to 20 feet or so in front/behind me.
SilverSabre25 08:17 PM 03-22-2011
Our walking trips don't involve any street crossing (unless some dope has parked in such a way that the sidewalk is totally blocked...) so I suppose my tactics are somewhat different than most.

Those who can walk (without falling every 15 steps, at a speed enough to keep up with the group--proficient walkers) do. Those who can't, ride in the stroller. I have two double and two single strollers so what I use depends on who I've got. I push the stroller walking behind the other kids, who do not have to hold the stroller unless they have misbehaved. I let them roam ahead of me by about half the distance between driveways and they know to stop when I tell them they're getting too far ahead.

Works for us.

I imagine that if our neighborhood wasn't such a nice loop, the tactics would be different.
Meyou 02:04 AM 03-23-2011
When we take walks I try to let everyone who can walk...well walk. My youngest are 22 months although I have one dropin that's 16 months. I bring my wagon and I tell the kids it's for stuff we need or babies if they need a break so I don't get pestered for rides. lol The kids have the following walking rules which I start enforcing once they can keep up.

1. Stay on the sidewalk. No grass at all under your sneakers!
2. Make sure you stay close enough that you can touch my sweater.
3. No running unless we play Stop and GO.
4. Stop 2 sidewalk blocks away from streets and driveways.
5. Always hold hands crossing the street.

We walk alot, sometimes on busy roads and I never have any trouble. With new kids I keep them right next to me until I can trust them with the rules. Any rule breaking and that friend holds my hand for the rest of the walk. No fun at all. lol
Tags:walking, walking trip tactics
Reply Up