Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cloth Diapers in Daycare?
Sunny Day 12:02 PM 02-02-2011
First off, I have nothing against cloth diapers. I used them with my little girl and plan on using them with my new baby coming in May. My question is this though...do you allow them in daycare? What are your policies for storage, etc. I currently have 2 families who use cloth, one uses Bum Genius and supplies the proper wetbags, etc. for them. The other family uses prefolds (and not very absorbent ones I might add) with covers and only brings me plastic bags to store them in and sometimes not even that (I know its just a plastic bag I have to supply, but its annoying). I have to change this little guy WAAAY more often and even then he still soaks through quite often and the diapers REEK! Should I create a cloth diaper policy and have all the families sign it? Thoughts? What should I put in a policy if I make one? I really do want to accomodate this second family (the first family I've had here for 2 years and never had an issue), but I often feel as though it just isn't sanitary....
JenNJ 12:11 PM 02-02-2011
Anyone wishing to clothes diaper here must use all in ones or pockets. No prefolds or fitteds. They must supply a zipped wet bag for storage.
nannyde 12:26 PM 02-02-2011
https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...ighlight=cloth
daysofelijah 12:27 PM 02-02-2011
I have in my contract that I am happy to cloth diaper, but only with AIOs or Pockets and parents must supply a wet bag daily.

I have two in cloth now, both send enough pocket diapers for the day and a zippered wet bag. They take them home and wash them and send clean the next day.
SandeeAR 01:41 PM 02-02-2011
Back when my girls were little, prefolded cloth diaper were all that was out there. None of the new fancy kind. Disposibles were just getting started. As my girls got older and peed more, I just use two prefolded at once. Can you do that with this dkc?
SilverSabre25 01:58 PM 02-02-2011
I'm betting the prefolds need to be stripped (or, if they're the gerber ones, that the family didn't floof them up correctly when they bought them). Are you close enough to the family that you could print off some info on stripping and give it to them with a kind, "Hey, I noticed that your dipes are smelling really strong; maybe they need stripped? Here's some info on stripping that always worked really well for me when I CD'd"
SunflowerMama 02:59 PM 02-02-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I'm betting the prefolds need to be stripped (or, if they're the gerber ones, that the family didn't floof them up correctly when they bought them). Are you close enough to the family that you could print off some info on stripping and give it to them with a kind, "Hey, I noticed that your dipes are smelling really strong; maybe they need stripped? Here's some info on stripping that always worked really well for me when I CD'd"
I was thinking the same thing as far as the stripping and you really have to prep those prefolds when you first get them to get the most absorbency.

I also think it's so great to see more dc families cloth diapering. It's great of you guys to offer that service for them!!
Mrs.Ky 03:02 PM 02-02-2011
My cloth diaper policy is: The cloth diapers have to be AIO (all in one) or pocket diapers already stuffed, they need to bring me aleast 5 for the day, and they have to supply wet bag everyday, I do not dump poop either this can become very messy and germs can get everywhere, I also do not wash diapers, diapers MUST go home everyday, and I MUST recieve clean cloth diapers next day if parent forgets diapers aleast 3 times I will no longer cloth diaper their child and they will have to supply a regular pack of diapers.

The cloth diaper Mom I have now is great she never forgets and always brings enough diapers for the day.
Abigail 03:38 PM 02-02-2011
This is wonderful so many providers offer to cloth diaper. I want to use cloth diapers for my children (in a few years) and I only know ONE person in my whole city who uses cloth diapers. Crazy! If our city had a cloth diapering service to pick up, clean, and return I bet a lot more people would do it. We also don't see much sun and it is too cold outside of the summer months to hang dry and let the sun get to the diapers. I wish I lived in a sunny place!

I don't know anything about the traditional/pre-folds or anything like that. I've only dealt with AIO and Pocket Diapers. I like the hook-n-loop one size bumgenius, but who knows what new types they'll come out with. I would make it a requirement that all parents who choose to cloth diaper must supply (5-6) each day and supply a bag for them. If they do not provide the necessary materials in a timely manner on three occasions rules will be implimented. Ex. they don't bring enough diapers...require 10 be kept at your house. If they don't provide a bag, ask them to bring in a roll of bags (80 count of so of the small kind they purchase in the garbage bag isle) or you charge them a fee because you shouldn't be required to keep hundreds of bags on hand. The bags you might provide should be ones for accidents, not for cloth diapers.
nannyde 04:10 PM 02-02-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
I only know ONE person in my whole city who uses cloth diapers. Crazy! If our city had a cloth diapering service to pick up, clean, and return I bet a lot more people would do it.
There's a reason for that. There's no money in it.
Tags:cloth diapers
Reply Up