Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Taking A Day Off And Getting Major Attitude From Families
sahm2three 10:19 AM 03-07-2011
My kids have next Thursday and Friday off from school, and I decided that I would take next Friday off, so I sent a note home with the families last week. I got two calls OVER THE WEEKEND from parents expressing their frustration with it. It isn't a holiday, but is my kids' Spring Break from school, so businesses aren't closed. I have a few bank families, so when the bank is closed, they are off. But that doesn't always mean that their kids stay home with them! I usually have their kids. So now I would like to take a day off, gave them 2 weeks notice to figure out alternate care, and they are asking if they still have to pay, what are they supposed to do, they can't take that day off....blah blah blah. I have a family that took Mon off this week and one took Mon and Tues off because they were going to be out of town. THEY can take time off, but *I* can't?! Are daycare providers 2nd class citizens? I have 10 personal days to be used throughout the year, and I take a 2 week vacation in the summer that I do not require them to pay anything during. So what are they complaining about?! Inconvienient? Maybe? But its also inconvienient every time they are late dropping off or picking up, bring their child sick, call me that morning to say that they won't be coming, pay me late. They don't know inconvienience!!! UGH!
Cat Herder 10:25 AM 03-07-2011
As long as they are only expected to give two weeks notice, I guess it is ok.

It has to work both ways.

I require 30 days notice, here...just because the bills come monthly and that is how I budget... I also give them my yearly closings calendar every January.

Is this the first time you have done this?
DCMomOf3 10:36 AM 03-07-2011
If your contract states you will give 2 week notice of vacation day, I wouldn't stress. Just let them be frustrated. Maybe they are upset because they haven't saved up an extra vacation day for your time off and are just taking it out on you.

I have it in my contract i need 2+ weeks notice from my dcFs for days off but I'll give 4 weeks notice for my days off.
safechner 10:47 AM 03-07-2011
As long as you gave them a two weeks notice. They have plenty of time to find a back up provider or taking a day off. I am sure your policy that they would need a back up provider for just in case. I wouldn't worried about that because it is not your problem. It is their problem.

My policy is that I give them a three weeks notice when I am taking a vacation with nonpaid.
E Daycare 10:51 AM 03-07-2011
UGH this sucks! There was a thread a bit back about feeling guilty about taking time off. Ppfftt. I dont feel guilty what so ever and if they dont like it I dont care. I spent much time in a stuffy office that made me feel horrible for taking my time off that I well deserved too. So now, I dont care. You deserve time off just like the rest of the population. I also give a 4 week notice too when I need off and if they say "again?" or something like that I just ignore it. I once mentioned "well when you didnt drop of dck and I waited all day I couldve taken my ds to the museum so Im taking him Friday for sure". I know that may have been unprofessional but we take a lot of crap from people. This is MY business and I need MY time with MY family. They forget that.

Have some fun with your family and try not to gloat about it that next week. I know I would. lol
sahm2three 10:53 AM 03-07-2011
Yes, this is the first time I have done this. I take vacation the same time every year during the summer, so the fams know when it is. But I have never taken any time off. I have always had someone come be in my place in my home, but would like to be able to just "be" with my kids that day on their day off. And not have dcks running around my house!
jen 10:55 AM 03-07-2011
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
Yes, this is the first time I have done this. I take vacation the same time every year during the summer, so the fams know when it is. But I have never taken any time off. I have always had someone come be in my place in my home, but would like to be able to just "be" with my kids that day on their day off. And not have dcks running around my house!
And you know what... You should! In the future, just be prepared and direct them to whatever page of your contract/handbook that discusses your time off and leave it at that.
Cat Herder 10:58 AM 03-07-2011
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
Then don't worry about it!!! They just got served their very first no....

They will heal quickly.... and you will be better for it.
daycare 11:14 AM 03-07-2011
I also wrote all my days off on a schedule/calendar and handed it out with the new copy of the PHB at the start of the year.

I told the parents that since I have started DC years ago, that I have not had any holidays with any of my family, as they all live out of town/state.

In the past years, I have given up everything for all of my DC families. This year, I have decided to forgo all the small national holidays, like presidents day, labor day and etc, but will be closing the day before and after all Major holidays so that I can have time with my family that lives out of town. I also told them that because I was doing this that I will also be taking 5 paid personal days to use as needed. I posted all of those on the schedule as well. Of course they are all subject to change with a 2 weeks written notice.

No one said anything, at all....

I know that a lot of families are so busy that they have a hard time planning things even 2 weeks out. I know that I have most of my days/plans set out for months at a time.

I would not feel bad for wanting to spend time with your own family, but I would suggest that you sit down this week and decide a scheduled list of days that you plan to close or close early.

A few of my parents even told me, wow that's it for the whole year?? You are not going to take off any more time... I told them as of right now NO, but of course that can change if I need it to....
sahm2three 11:19 AM 03-07-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
I also wrote all my days off on a schedule/calendar and handed it out with the new copy of the PHB at the start of the year.

I told the parents that since I have started DC years ago, that I have not had any holidays with any of my family, as they all live out of town/state.

In the past years, I have given up everything for all of my DC families. This year, I have decided to forgo all the small national holidays, like presidents day, labor day and etc, but will be closing the day before and after all Major holidays so that I can have time with my family that lives out of town. I also told them that because I was doing this that I will also be taking 5 paid personal days to use as needed. I posted all of those on the schedule as well. Of course they are all subject to change with a 2 weeks written notice.

No one said anything, at all....

I know that a lot of families are so busy that they have a hard time planning things even 2 weeks out. I know that I have most of my days/plans set out for months at a time.

I would not feel bad for wanting to spend time with your own family, but I would suggest that you sit down this week and decide a scheduled list of days that you plan to close or close early.

A few of my parents even told me, wow that's it for the whole year?? You are not going to take off any more time... I told them as of right now NO, but of course that can change if I need it to....
I can't imagine being able to sit down and plan out the whole rest of the year! I take a scheduled family vacation (that families do not pay for), and that is it except for the day before or after holidays like you said. But as far as personal days ahead of time, I have no idea! I don't normally take many off, because it is hard on my dc families. But it has been a rough winter, and I am feeling like I NEED a 3 day weekend!
Sunny Day 11:20 AM 03-07-2011
You shouldn't feel bad! Especially if you have 10 personal days in your contract. They can find other care, you gave them notice. I used to have a family here that would make me feel horribly guilty every time I needed a day off and it was SO annoying. Parent's need to realize that their children are still THEIR children, not mine!
bgmeyers 12:25 PM 03-07-2011
It's in your contract, they knew this when they signed it. You've just seen what kind of clients you have.
Enjoy your day and DO NOT feel guilty.
Blackcat31 12:42 PM 03-07-2011
DO NOT FEEL GUILTY!!!!! You deserve a break just like everyone else!

I take a personal day whenever I feel I need one. It isn't veryoften and I always give atleast 10 days notice. I have it written in my policy handbook that if a bout of illness or crankiness seems to come through the daycare and I feel the need to regroup, I will take a personal day. I also have it in my policy book that all families need to have reliable back up for when this happens.

I have one dcm who complains EVERY single time I take a day off...even when it was a planned in advance a year ago vacation day! I just got used to her snide comments about what a bind I was putting her in blah blah blah so a few weeks ago I decided to take a personal day and I told all the families like 3 weeks in advance.

This mom says nothing, but of course two days before the scheduled day, she starts in on how she hates when I do this because it puts her in a bind, so I had just had enough and said, "Well, you know, I seriously considered not taking the day off but since your dd has been so cranky and sick this last week and probably should have stayed home instead of getting dosed up on Tylenol and sent to daycare, I really need the break from her!"

She said, "Oh."...and swear she has been all sunshine and rainbows ever since....and come to think of it, she has even kept her dd home a few times since then....Maybe she just never really gave it any thought and now since the reality check can see things a little bit better from my point of view....

I think if you maybe tell the parents that in order for you to not feel overwhelmed and over worked, it is necessary for you to take a personal day now and then and unfortunately you have no idea when these days will occur, but they should all have a good back up provider for when it does.
Tags:attitude, attitude from parent, day off
Reply Up