Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Toys From Home In The Daycare
Unregistered 05:10 AM 03-21-2011
I logged out, just in case. Do you allow children to bring toys from home to daycare. I have a rule that they cannot bring toys. I have relaxed it a bit lately and allow them to have their comfort toys--well I have one little boy who now has like 3 or 4 'comfort' items--he's 3 He will not share or let anyone else even near them. Now this morning he wants to have a dinky car here and is throwing a HUGE fit because I won't allow him to have it...Happy MONDAY MORNING! This is also super annoying because he stashes them places and then I end up hunting around for them at home time. So, do you let kids bring in their own toys to daycare? Would it be completely mean to not let him have them now? I don't want to confuse the poor kid either...Stupid me for not sticking to my guns, but I don't really care if they each have one comfort item such as their blankie, but this is a bit excessive...What policies do you have around it? Thanks!
kitkat 05:54 AM 03-21-2011
No toys from home. If it comes in, then it either leaves with the parent who dropped off, or it gets put on their locker shelf til pick up. I agree with you...a blanket or nuk is one thing, but toys are another. A long time ago, I let a dcb bring a stuffed animal. He really didn't need it, but it was easier for dad to get him out of the house in the morning. It became in issue b/c I didn't put my foot down right away. Yeah, dcb was mad at first when I started sending it back with dad, but it stopped pretty quickly. Put your foot down about toys from home, you'll be happier in the end.
Blackcat31 05:58 AM 03-21-2011
Blankets and nuks (under 12 months) used for naptime ONLY are fine to bring. Anything else "Hotel California".......They can check in but they can never leave.

Toys from home are too much hassle and I supply a large quantity of age appropriate toys so I honestly do NOT need anyone to help me out in that department.
SilverSabre25 06:07 AM 03-21-2011
Comfort items; usually are left here for naptime ONLY but one boy is crazy attached to his blanket and carries it around all day. Occasionally kiddos show up having had a hard morning for one reason or another and are carrying a stuffed animal or blanket (when they don't usually) or something, and I allow those on the grounds that everyone has an off day sometimes. Usually these get dropped quickly and I put it up by the front door and it goes home at the end of the day, not to reappear for several weeks/months.

The few actual toys that have tried to come (usually fairly small, hard to find, easy to blend in with our own stuff) get handed right back at the door.
Symphony 08:48 AM 03-21-2011
My kids can bring whatever they want, but as far as I'm concerned, it may never go back home! If the item from home is causing problems, then I take them away. If it is not causing problems, it blends in with the crowd pretty quickly. I don't have time to keep an eye on toys in addition to children

I do have one dcg (and one of my own kids too) who have their very special lovies. My son's obviously lives here, but it stays in his bed during daycare. Dcg has a duplicate one that lives in her pnp. I feel totally different about need them to sleep lovies than the random toy I brought from home. Still wouldn't let them carry them around the house though!
snbauser 09:07 AM 03-21-2011
Comfort items only here and they are ONLY for naptime. They stay in the cubby the rest of the time. Any toy that comes from home is either handed back to the parent or put in the cubby for pick up time.
nannyde 09:10 AM 03-21-2011
I don't allow toys from home.

Only the older kids get lovies as I don't allow anything in the bed for the under two crowd.

I provide everything they need here so no need to have anything from home but spare clothes.
squareone 09:30 AM 03-21-2011
No toys from home. Comfort items come out at rest time only. Toys that get brought in get put away until the parent picks up.
JenNJ 09:33 AM 03-21-2011
No toys from home. If they bring them, they sit in my foyer all day long and I hand them back at pickup. Books can be brought in to be shared during circle/story time. Lovies are ONLY for nap. In the crib at nap, back in the bag afterwards.
staggers 10:04 AM 03-21-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I logged out, just in case. Do you allow children to bring toys from home to daycare. I have a rule that they cannot bring toys. I have relaxed it a bit lately and allow them to have their comfort toys--well I have one little boy who now has like 3 or 4 'comfort' items--he's 3 He will not share or let anyone else even near them. Now this morning he wants to have a dinky car here and is throwing a HUGE fit because I won't allow him to have it...Happy MONDAY MORNING! This is also super annoying because he stashes them places and then I end up hunting around for them at home time. So, do you let kids bring in their own toys to daycare? Would it be completely mean to not let him have them now? I don't want to confuse the poor kid either...Stupid me for not sticking to my guns, but I don't really care if they each have one comfort item such as their blankie, but this is a bit excessive...What policies do you have around it? Thanks!
i dont allow toys in daycare because it causes to many problems all day if the parent let them walk in with them i give back to parents or put it in there bags i only allow blankets
SimpleMom 10:51 AM 03-21-2011
I allow toys from home. if they share them, they can have them out. if not, then i place it in their bag til they have rest time or go home (depending on the toy). if it's make-up or a gtoy unsuitable for dc, then i just put it in their bag--i explain to parent/child as well.
WImom 11:09 AM 03-21-2011
No toys from home. Naptime lovey only.
Meyou 07:08 AM 03-22-2011
I let my crew bring in toys but with the following rule, "If you bring a toy you must take turns with your friends. If you don't share the toy goes away and you can have it back when Mommy and Daddy arrives" They rarely fight with this rule and the odd time I do take a toy away they know they should have shared.
ninosqueridos 07:13 AM 03-22-2011
Nope. I do allow them to bring a book to share for story time, but I hold it until it's time to read. I don't want to be responsible for a torn library book.
snbauser 09:18 AM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I let my crew bring in toys but with the following rule, "If you bring a toy you must take turns with your friends. If you don't share the toy goes away and you can have it back when Mommy and Daddy arrives" They rarely fight with this rule and the odd time I do take a toy away they know they should have shared.
See, I tried this...once... with a 4 y/o. He brought his toy in and I told him that I would allow it but he needed to share it with his friends or it went in his cubby. He agreed. He sat and played with it for about 10 minutes and when he was done and someone asked for a turn his response was "I don't want to share it so I'll put it in my cubby." That was the end of that.
Meyou 09:31 AM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by snbauser:
See, I tried this...once... with a 4 y/o. He brought his toy in and I told him that I would allow it but he needed to share it with his friends or it went in his cubby. He agreed. He sat and played with it for about 10 minutes and when he was done and someone asked for a turn his response was "I don't want to share it so I'll put it in my cubby." That was the end of that.

Lol! Little stinker. I'm fine with them deciding to put it away but once it's gone it's gone for the day. Mine usually decide that turns for their friends are the lesser of two evils.
Sunny Day 02:23 PM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by snbauser:
I have tried this too....it never works for me, they still fight and refuse to share!
Michael 10:32 PM 03-22-2011
Some more threads on "toys from home": https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...toys+from+home
morgan24 03:03 AM 03-23-2011
No toys are allowed but if they bring them in I let them keep them until after their parents leave. I hate early morning drama and that is what usually happens when I'm asked if they can keep it and I say no. After the parents leave I have them put it up and remind them of the rules. They don't throw a fit for me because they know that it's not going to do any good.
pinkcrayonz 07:11 AM 03-23-2011
no toys are allowed here as my puppies like to chew on plastic toys its funny I tell every parent that, and make sure they know it , put in in my handbook and yet every kid brings toys =|( so as soon as they are here with toy in hand I imediatly put it up...
Unregistered 09:10 PM 06-18-2012
I think that toys from home should be allowed. It allows the children to learn important life lessons such as sharing, and responisbilty, it helps them transition easier from home to daycare, and encourages conversation with peers. I recently attened the images of learning workshop and they asked us how would you feel if you just got engaged and were told that you cant show your friends your new diamond ring? you wouldnt be expected to share your new ring?
The same thing goes for children.
originalkat 05:31 AM 06-19-2012
I have a no toys from home policy. However, parents sometimes have a hard time saying no so instead of creating a meltdown in the morning they can show their friends, but then it goes into their cubby until pick-up. Kids have a hard time sharing their personal belongings and they get enough practice sharing with daycare toys as it is.
Breezy 05:59 AM 06-19-2012
I too have a no toys policy but I allowed my DCG to have a giant stuffed pink dog the other day as she is having a difficult transition. It ended up irritating me though because although my DS shares his toys every day, she didn't want to share her dog so it upset and confused him. I ended up putting it up so they could play together with the daycare toys and of course taking out the special toys that are just for him when she left
pootmcgoot 05:59 AM 06-19-2012
What about naptime lovies? My daughter will not sleep with out a specific doll (that we have a dozen of just in case). She's 18 months. I guess this is a personal preference as a provider? Or is it asking for special?

Taking it away makes easy 3 hour naps into screamsfests.
Breezy 06:14 AM 06-19-2012
Originally Posted by pootmcgoot:
What about naptime lovies? My daughter will not sleep with out a specific doll (that we have a dozen of just in case). She's 18 months. I guess this is a personal preference as a provider? Or is it asking for special?

Taking it away makes easy 3 hour naps into screamsfests.
I allow nap loves but no other toys! And nap loves are only if I know the child needs it, not if he sits and plays with it all nap time and it becomes a distraction.
MsMe 08:57 AM 06-19-2012
I would prefer that no toys ever came to daycare. I do have the ocasional rule breakers (the same families ) and they bring a toy in show it to everyone and then they have to leave it in the basket by the door untill the end of the day.

I have one little boy that gets REALLY upset when this happens. I can not have him this upset over the new cool toy everyday. We have plently of toys here. We still work on sharing, trading, and taking our turn withthe toys I already have here.

Toys have been snuck in (usualy Hot Wheels or action figures) and then they can't be found at the end of the day and the kids and parents want to spend 30 minutes tearing apart my toy boxes looking for thier kids favorite toy. Not fun.

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I think that toys from home should be allowed. It allows the children to learn important life lessons such as sharing, and responisbilty, it helps them transition easier from home to daycare, and encourages conversation with peers. I recently attened the images of learning workshop and they asked us how would you feel if you just got engaged and were told that you cant show your friends your new diamond ring? you wouldnt be expected to share your new ring?
The same thing goes for children.
I will be getting a new beautiful diamond ring very soon and you bet I am going to show it off (just like my daycare kids can their toys) but it will be a cold day... Before I take it off and let others try it on.
B Lou 11:19 AM 06-19-2012
No toys here. I get paid to take care of children NOT TOY. The children get this rule long before the parents do.
Sunchimes 11:56 AM 06-19-2012
I don't mind if they bring toys. But, my situation is much simpler than most of you guys since I only have 3 kids-one an infant. Usually, when one brings a toy, they play with it a while, then drop it and forget about it. When I see it abandoned, I pick it up and put it in their bags, just so that they don't forget to take it home. If they notice and want it back, that's fine too. If I had more kids, I would probably be tougher, but I run this place like they are my kids-very informal and casual.
Snapdragon 03:24 PM 06-19-2012
Toys from home were discouraged at the center where I worked. Unfortunately, "discouraged" left parents a way out since it wasn't strictly enforced. My problem with toys from home is that they are not necessarily age appropriate and can be a risk to other children -- for example, the 2 year old who brings in a small metal car where the small wheels can sometimes break off.
Bookworm 03:35 PM 06-19-2012
My center has the "No Toys From Home" policy too. But of course it didn't stop the kids from smuggling them in most time without mom/dad knowing. Then when the toy gets broken or missing, the child is upset. What I ended up doing was having a weekly toy day and that is the only day they are allowed to bring a toy. The only stipulation is no electronics (tablets, leapsters,etc.). The girls usually bring Barbies or other dolls and the boys cars and/or superhero toys. This has cut down a lot of smuggling.
Tags:toys from home
Reply Up