Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Maternity Leave Posts
Unregistered 09:48 PM 05-28-2011
Hi there,

Looking for Maternity Leave posts...I am preggo, and will be having a C-Section, so I will have to have time off....

Looking for info on hiring an assistant in case I go on bed rest again for this pregnancy. Also, how you handled after the baby was born...I know some of you are super power women and went back to work right away, but this cat can't pull that off...she is too hormonal to have all of that on her own with a new born!!!

How many weeks did you take? Any help when the kids came back? Did you set up a replacement for them to go to? Etc Etc!!

THANKS!
Michael 12:34 AM 05-29-2011
Try these: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...aternity+leave
Abigail 03:50 PM 05-29-2011
I've got the same question. Most of the posts that Michael linked here are related to clients/families taking maternity leave. I want to know what to put in my contract and handbook about PROVIDER MATERNITY LEAVE. I don't have any kids yet, but I'm not so sure I want to only give myself 2 weeks off work, etc. Any tips and advice would be appreciated greatly! How much time to be closed is too much time? I'm thinking about putting 4-8 weeks for myself, but how do I word it and put in the details?
lpperry 06:35 PM 05-29-2011
I just have a baby 6 months ago and went through this. I took 3 weeks of maternity leave. I had a substitute cover Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday and I closed Thursday and Friday of that week. I was closed for 2 weeks after and then started back up again. My families knew about this far in advance, so they were able to plan accordingly.

I didn't feel that it was right to take anymore time off because the families were counting on me.

For 2 months after my baby was born, I had a substitute scheduled to help me 3 mornings a week--on the days that I had the most kids. I found that I didn't end up needing any extra help as my baby was super easy.
KEG123 05:33 AM 05-30-2011
I'm going to take two weeks unpaid. I can't afford much else. I've only got my own 3 year old, an 18 month old full time(will be almost 2 by the time I deliver) and 2 year old twins (will be almost 3) two days a week. I want one more ft. If I get up to that amount, I'll look into having a family member help out during daycare hours. Otherwise my dbf is here sometimes during the day and can help.
ammama 06:46 AM 05-30-2011
I'm in the minority, but i'm taking 5 months for this baby. I've been off 2 weeks already, not going back until October.

I really am looking forward to several months with just my own 3 kids, and have lots of time to bond with our new family member. Plus, my last daughter was terribly colicky, and it was terrible having the dck's here during the day, and a screaming baby all night. I didn't sleep

It was a good time for the dayhome anyway, as I was losing a few kids to kindy anyway so good time for a turnover. Some of my families are returning, and have just made alternate arrangements for the summer months.
kitkat 09:32 AM 05-30-2011
I had a c-section in February. I took off 4 weeks. The kids came back the 5th week and DH was home to help out (really just there for moral support and to help with a really crabby baby). I have a small group, so it was pretty easy. But, I was very hormonal! Also, just because the kids came back, didn't mean I was doing everything that we usually do. It was very laid back and we didn't do much but play.

Good luck with the c-section and the new baby!
Abigail 03:34 PM 05-30-2011
do you guys have anything written in your handbook or contract about how many weeks will be unpaid for your own maternity leave? Do you say for provider maternity leave, a minimum of 2 weeks unpaid will be taken up 6 weeks? IDK what to put in my handbook about my own possible pregnancies.
SilverSabre25 07:39 PM 05-30-2011
I did have something in my handbook about it...and then took it out last summer 'cause it was going to be "years" before I needed such a policy. Of course then I got pregnant unexpectedly at the end of August...

but anyway, I'm only taking one week off, unpaid, not because I'm super woman or don't want more time or anything, but because my family can't afford me to take more time. My daycare families can't afford for me to take more time either--most of them atm happen to work retail-type jobs that don't offer paid vacation. Although, the families don't know it yet, but I'm planning on stretching that to mean "a week off after I get out of the hospital", depending on how the birth goes and what day of the week baby is born and how my DH's time off works out and stuff. That would add only a max of 2 more days off...they should understand, and if they don't, tough cookies. I haven't ever taken off a single day unexpectedly, not even when my mom was sick and practically dying in the hospital.

My original policy gave me 4 to 6 weeks off unpaid after a birth, as well as any "medically necessary leave" that might be required before the birth. It also gave provision for longer leave if there were pregnancy/birth complications that required or resulted in C-Section or NICU stay or anything like that.
Tags:maternity leave
Reply Up