Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pinworms
Unregistered 04:07 PM 02-11-2014
I just received a text from one of my daycare families. Their child was just tested for pinworms, no results yet.

What is everyone's policy on this?
I realize we were all exposed.
KidGrind 04:17 PM 02-11-2014
After diagnosis & initial treatment 24 hour exclusion.
Unregistered 04:42 PM 02-11-2014
original poster here ...

They were told 3 days for test results to come back
KidGrind 05:22 PM 02-11-2014
They couldn’t return until diagnosis & 24 hours after treatment started.

For 3 days at least they wouldn’t be in my care. I have to think about the health of my other DCKs, family and ME.
Daycaregranny 07:20 PM 02-11-2014
OMG! One of my worst fears. Ugh. I feel so bad for you. I was wondering however, why are they being tested? As far as I knew it was one of those obvious issues. Worms in poop or on body.
BNL 09:49 AM 02-12-2014
This is the worst I have come across....I recently dealt with this too. I advised that baby cannot return until 48 hrs after first dose. This is the schools policy in our area as well. I had to notify all parents that we had all been exposed. Cleaned and scrubbed all cribs, changing areas, toys, high chairs and ever u thing. Even wiped down the walls bc eggs can stick to walls! Vacuum well too!
Kelly 11:59 AM 02-12-2014
My own kids (now grown) got pinworms a few times at school when they were younger. First time it kind of grossed me out but after that just didn't seem like that big a deal. True there's a lot of cleaning but it's not like it's going to kill anyone. I'd take pinworms or headlice over vomiting any day--LOL!
daycaremum 12:26 PM 02-12-2014
Pinworms are not such a big deal. By the time you know a child has them there has already been plenty of time for them to be passed on to other children. There is no exclusion for the school system. I would not exclude for it. The only cleaning recommended by our doctor when our child had them was bedding as they like to come out at night. Also eggs can be under fingernails after scratching when their bum becomes itchy (one of the symptoms that alerts a parent that their child has them).
The doctor also told us that a good majority of kids at schools have them all the time.
Promote good hand washing with all children and adults.
JLH 09:06 PM 02-12-2014
I would definitely exclude the child from care until I had a note signed by a physician stating the child was no longer contagious. If you get pinworms you would have to close until you were no longer contagious and then everyone would be out of care. Better to have one family mad then all of them.
Cradle2crayons 04:56 AM 02-13-2014
Originally Posted by daycaremum:
Pinworms are not such a big deal. By the time you know a child has them there has already been plenty of time for them to be passed on to other children. There is no exclusion for the school system. I would not exclude for it. The only cleaning recommended by our doctor when our child had them was bedding as they like to come out at night. Also eggs can be under fingernails after scratching when their bum becomes itchy (one of the symptoms that alerts a parent that their child has them).
The doctor also told us that a good majority of kids at schools have them all the time.
Promote good hand washing with all children and adults.
exactly
Tags:pinworms
Reply Up