Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Shelf milk in bulk
missy 01:47 AM 08-23-2014
Does anyone buy shelf (no refrigeration needed) milk in bulk? It's so much easier to always have fresh milk on hand. I can't find 1% especially online anywhere for a decent price.

Do any stores carry it?
Thanks!
MOM OF 4 06:46 AM 08-23-2014
Originally Posted by missy:
Does anyone buy shelf (no refrigeration needed) milk in bulk? It's so much easier to always have fresh milk on hand. I can't find 1% especially online anywhere for a decent price.

Do any stores carry it?
Thanks!
Where do you get shelf milk? I haven't ever even heard of it. You don't mean powdered or evaporated, right?
jenboo 09:16 AM 08-23-2014
I totally forgot about shelf milk! The center I worked at always used it. I'm going to get some this weekend now. It would make my life so much easier! I'll let you know if I find 1%
NightOwl 09:39 AM 08-23-2014
Me too! I've never heard of this!
NightOwl 09:46 AM 08-23-2014
Is it more cost effective? Is that the major benefit?
daycarediva 10:23 AM 08-23-2014
I found some organic at Trader Joes. It was spendy (probably due to being organic). My kids thought it tasted funny.

I have our old refrigerator (about 10 years old...lol) hooked up in the garage stocked with the extra gallons of milk and bottled water and anything else I don't have room in the 'kitchen fridge' for. With 6-8 daycare kids, and 6 people in our household, it's necessary.
Cradle2crayons 10:47 AM 08-23-2014
I keep a few cases of it for backup in case of storms etc becUse the local grocery runs out of it...

The state wicc program gives it to parents also and I get it given to me sometimes.
jenboo 12:04 PM 08-23-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
Is it more cost effective? Is that the major benefit?
Not sure if it's more cost effective but you can buy it in bulk and it's ready to use (unlike defrosting milk). It's always available and you don't have to buy new milk every 2 weeks.
Childminder 12:06 PM 08-23-2014
My sister gets 1% from Focus Hope and gives it to me, she doesn't like the taste and my SA don't care for it but the littles don't care. I love having it on hand for the times I can't get to the store. I have seen it at Costco and Sam's and if you are from the Midwest, Gordon Foods probably sells it but you might have to order it.

My sister gives me powdered milk too but the food program doesn't allow that. I do cook with it exclusively and go through a lot of it.
MOM OF 4 12:10 PM 08-23-2014
Can someone post a pic of an example of a good one?
Childminder 12:16 PM 08-23-2014
http://www.milkunleashed.com/where-to-buy/brands.html

Costco has Horizon and I get Borden from the gov't. It say Walmart has it.
GKJNIGMN 12:20 PM 08-23-2014
Hershey makes a 1% that my own kids love and so does my DH. I don't buy them myself because it doesn't make sense financially but there is a summer food program at the park up the street where my kids go to camp and they send home bags of food with the kids every week including milk.

http://store.diversifiedfoods.com/He.../dp/B00JPJV4CK
MOM OF 4 12:42 PM 08-23-2014
Originally Posted by GKJNIGMN:
Hershey makes a 1% that my own kids love and so does my DH. I don't buy them myself because it doesn't make sense financially but there is a summer food program at the park up the street where my kids go to camp and they send home bags of food with the kids every week including milk.

http://store.diversifiedfoods.com/He.../dp/B00JPJV4CK
OMG interesting! It's like boost kid essentials (which my son requires for weight gain) but the one he takes is soy. Coolness!!!
missy 12:01 AM 08-24-2014
I think it's usually called boxed milk.

I am finding that it's a good bit more pricey unfortunately. It would be good to keep as a backup though. For some reason I thought it would be cheaper not more expensive, darn!! I only found it in 32 oz boxes, and there are 128 oz in a gallon. The cheapest box I saw was like $2.08 (Walmart), so that's over $8 a gallon!!

FYI the walmart brand had an allergy warning that it may contain eggs, etc. etc.
Luvnmykidz 03:46 AM 08-24-2014
I have some stored in my evac kit and keep a couple of boxes for back up. Here in PG County, my Target sells it in 1% and sometimes Walmart has it in stock.
BigLittleHomeDaycare 01:45 PM 08-24-2014
It's called shelf stable milk. I use Hershey's and love it. The kids have commented about the packaging. I never run out of milk.
Reply Up