Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Have A Tour Today & HOPING This Is A Good One!
MamaBear 07:58 AM 10-05-2011
I have a lady with a 16 month old boy coming for a tour today and I REALLY hope this is a good one. I need to fill some spaces quickly here and the daycare requests have been very dry around here lately. Her situation sounds ideal for me too... Only wants to come 11am-2pm all week and she still wants to pay full time rates! She sounded very nice on the phone too. Wish me luck!!!
tbutler 08:05 AM 10-05-2011
Originally Posted by MamaBear:
I have a lady with a 16 month old boy coming for a tour today and I REALLY hope this is a good one. I need to fill some spaces quickly here and the daycare requests have been very dry around here lately. Her situation sounds ideal for me too... Only wants to come 11am-2pm all week and she still wants to pay full time rates! She sounded very nice on the phone too. Wish me luck!!!
Good luck, hopefully she enrolls before she leaves.
beachgrl 08:48 AM 10-05-2011
Good luck!!! I know how you feel, I am practically ready to stand out at the road spinning a sign at this point lol!
cheerfuldom 10:43 AM 10-05-2011
she is willing to pay full time for those hours?? thats pretty surprising. I would imagine that you will have a rate discussion again in the future or that the little one will end up there a lot more than originally planned. thats a lot of extra money for just a few hours care. I do hope it works out though, either way it is another child enrolled which is great for you. Things are slow in my area too so I know how that is.
nannyde 11:41 AM 10-05-2011
Don't get your hopes up friend.

Many times they agree to it or the idea of it to get an actual interview with you. Once they see you then the discussions start.

Be prepared for her to discuss it. When they are looking for THAT kind of part time they learn really quickly that not too many people will even interview them. They learn that their only chance to even be considered is to say the GOOD part of the deal (three hours a day) but not the bad part of the deal (low pay).

I don't like interviewing so I would really HAVE this conversation with her before she came. I would ask her how she will feel paying so much for so little. It either comes to way lower pay or way longer hours.
Blackcat31 11:57 AM 10-05-2011
Do you have a policy in place for what hours they can and can't come? I mean, she says she only wants 11-2, which is right over lunch and nap time, the two HARDEST times of the day so what will happen if she wants to start bringing him earlier or wanting to stay later because she paid full time rates? Do you have anything in place for that kind of change or is it something you would allow because she does pay full time?
sharlan 12:01 PM 10-05-2011
Wishing you the best of luck.
MamaBear 12:17 PM 10-05-2011
Yipee! It went great! The boy was super cute... very independent and sweet. The mom was extremely nice. She was very easy going and loved the daycare. She signed up and he'll be starting in a week She only wants to bring him 4 hours a day... possibly 5 hours on a "long day" she says (lol) and said that my rates are so great that she cant believe I dont charge more. My rates are pretty common for our area. I confirmed again that she is ok with paying the full rate for 1/2 days use and she said its perfect. We had discussed it on the phone already but just wanted to make sure one more time. SO I'm happy. Its taken forever to find a nice family lately. So I'm happy
MamaBear 12:18 PM 10-05-2011
p.s. I dont think money is an issue for this mom... she mentioned her family situation and they are a very "well-to-do" family in the area. She said she'd bring her son here if I charged double what I normally do That was a nice compliment
mismatchedsocks 12:21 PM 10-05-2011
Congrats!!!
MamaBear 12:21 PM 10-05-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Do you have a policy in place for what hours they can and can't come? I mean, she says she only wants 11-2, which is right over lunch and nap time, the two HARDEST times of the day so what will happen if she wants to start bringing him earlier or wanting to stay later because she paid full time rates? Do you have anything in place for that kind of change or is it something you would allow because she does pay full time?
No - I dont care what time a child arrives or leaves. Those hours are not a hard time for me. I have what I like to called "controlled chaos" here - so I have it run pretty smoothly thru the day. If she decides she wants to bring him more hours in the future, thats totally okay too. She will already be paying for full time anyway - so its fine.
beachgrl 01:26 PM 10-05-2011
That's great news, congratulations!
nannyde 01:32 PM 10-05-2011
Sweet.

She went from three hours a day to five on day one so just expect a full day soon enough.

No biggie to you ... just be prepared for erratic schedules and hugely fluxuating hours.

Someone who can easily afford it and has such a low demand of need would normally take a while in finding the right person. With her making a quickie decision and upping the hours on the same day... it would make me a little nervous.

Ya never know tho... clients are hard to find so it will be worth the risk to give it a shot.
Blackcat31 02:00 PM 10-05-2011
No - I dont care what time a child arrives or leaves. Those hours are not a hard time for me. I have what I like to called "controlled chaos" here - so I have it run pretty smoothly thru the day. If she decides she wants to bring him more hours in the future, thats totally okay too. She will already be paying for full time anyway - so its fine.
CONGRATULATIONS on signing a new child and a good family!!!! Sounds like yo have it under control! (even if it is chaotic...it is still controlled...LOL!!! )
Live and Learn 02:20 PM 10-05-2011
Congratulations. Sounds like a keeper! Good luck!
MamaBear 02:24 PM 10-05-2011
Thank you so much to those with "congrats"! You are all very nice.

Nannyde - I meant to say 4 hours on a long day. Not 5 like I said. I dont mind her bringing him a full day whenever she needs to since she'll be paying me full time anyway. I was just happy to find a nice family to fill my vacant space. Not sure why you want to be such a Debbie Downer in your responses to me. But you can keep your warnings to yourself. I've been doing daycare for awhile now and know what to "expect" from daycare parents. I'm not a newbie! But thanks anyway!
daycare 02:25 PM 10-05-2011
Congrats to you! I am also in CA and have been dry as can be...

Glad to hear that someone found a family that knows what a great daycare is worth..... Lets clone this mom....lol

p.S. Just wondering, where abouts CA are you?
MamaBear 02:27 PM 10-05-2011
I'm in Southern Cali... San Diego area. How about you?
daycare 02:28 PM 10-05-2011
ahh I miss so cali..
I am north Bay area....
MamaBear 02:32 PM 10-05-2011
I used to live in Monterey... are you around that area? I totally miss it there. So nice... no traffic, ocean view all over. I loved it.
daycare 02:35 PM 10-05-2011
I used to live in Monterey... are you around that area? I totally miss it there. So nice... no traffic, ocean view all over. I loved it.
further north, but i love that area too. Pretty, but nothing like the nice warm Socali beaches. I moved here a few years ago from newport beach. I miss only the beach, not the crazyness and the people, traffic, stress...lol
nannyde 03:02 PM 10-05-2011

Nannyde - I meant to say 4 hours on a long day. Not 5 like I said. I dont mind her bringing him a full day whenever she needs to since she'll be paying me full time anyway. I was just happy to find a nice family to fill my vacant space. Not sure why you want to be such a Debbie Downer in your responses to me. But you can keep your warnings to yourself. I've been doing daycare for awhile now and know what to "expect" from daycare parents. I'm not a newbie! But thanks anyway!
No

When a client says three hours a day and then changes it to five hours a day on the first day you meet THAT is a HUGE red flag that you are going to have scheduling/time issues.

I wasn't responding to you based on a three to four hour (long) day would be such a red flag... it was the three to five.

Also, a client who has money and options would rarely pick an option so quickly.

It's not impossible... of course... but it IS odd so I would caution those who read and lurk that a situation like this could end up with "time" issues in the future. Those "time" issues would be sporadic schedules and longer hours.
MamaBear 05:43 PM 10-05-2011
Let me clarify: It was originally 3 hours and then she said possibly 4 hours on a long day. Either way --- 3 hours or even 5 hours sounds great to me.

Also if the daycare mom liked what she saw when she came to my daycare then I dont see why thats odd that she wanted to grab a spot here. My daycare is pretty nice (if I say so myself)

If I end up having issues with her in the future, then I will terminate care - just like I have in the past when someone gives me issues. I think it will be fine over all. But thanks for your concern.
daycare 05:48 PM 10-05-2011
So happy for you....Time for a special celebration with the family!
and yes 3-5 hours sounds great to me too!!!
MamaBear 05:55 PM 10-05-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
So happy for you....Time for a special celebration with the family!
and yes 3-5 hours sounds great to me too!!!
Thank you!! I agree!
Lucy 06:05 PM 10-05-2011

Nannyde - Not sure why you want to be such a Debbie Downer in your responses to me. But you can keep your warnings to yourself.
^^^this^^^
mom2many 06:33 PM 10-05-2011
Also if the daycare mom liked what she saw when she came to my daycare then I dont see why thats odd that she wanted to grab a spot here. My daycare is pretty nice (if I say so myself)
I don't see it as odd in the least and this same thing has happened to me numerous times over the years. You never know how many other places they have already visited, so it might not even be that she is rushing into anything! When things click and I believe it will be a good match, I've never questioned a parent feeling the same way too. It's always worked out well and it's great when you find a situation like this! Congrats!
MamaBear 07:59 PM 10-05-2011
Originally Posted by mom2many:
I don't see it as odd in the least and this same thing has happened to me numerous times over the years. You never know how many other places they have already visited, so it might not even be that she is rushing into anything! When things click and I believe it will be a good match, I've never questioned a parent feeling the same way too. It's always worked out well and it's great when you find a situation like this! Congrats!
Thank you Joyce & Mom2Many
Crystal 08:37 PM 10-05-2011
Coolbeans Mama Bear! Congrats on signing the new family!

Yes, your environment, program, professionalism and personality can contribute to a GREAT family being willing to secure a part-time space at a full-time rate.....and I'd also do the same as you and be FLEXIBLE with the hours of care.

Cheers!
Country Kids 08:59 PM 10-05-2011
You never know what is going to happen in this business!!! I interviewed a client and was suppose to be "back up" care. I thought thats fine because I had the room and thought it was a way to open up the door for possible more time if needed. Well the first three months I had the child full-time and after that 4 days a week and still there after almost a year. Can you imagine the business and income I would have lost if I said no!
Nellie 09:10 PM 10-05-2011

I also wouldn't mind the child coming full days sense they are paying for it.
Congrats on a successful interview
Tags:interview tour, tour
Reply Up