Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>2 1/2 To 3 Year Old With Limited Speech
spud912 08:50 AM 09-28-2011
I have a dcg who understands everything, but can only say ~10-15 words. She also talks in 3rd person and does not speak in sentences. She gets very frustrated about lack of understanding and cries.

I have been having her repeat my words but she only repeats me 20% of the time and it sounds nothing like the actual words. I even have her look at my mouth and pronounce each syllable separately (which she can pronounce the syllables if she is in the mood to repeat, but not when they are combined in a word). The few words she does speak are actually fairly clear.

Are there any tips or books I can suggest to the mom? From my experience, she seems far behind in speech.
laundrymom 10:03 AM 09-28-2011
Originally Posted by spud912:
I have a dcg who understands everything, but can only say ~10-15 words. She also talks in 3rd person and does not speak in sentences. She gets very frustrated about lack of understanding and cries.

I have been having her repeat my words but she only repeats me 20% of the time and it sounds nothing like the actual words. I even have her look at my mouth and pronounce each syllable separately (which she can pronounce the syllables if she is in the mood to repeat, but not when they are combined in a word). The few words she does speak are actually fairly clear.

Are there any tips or books I can suggest to the mom? From my experience, she seems far behind in speech.
I would have mom get her evaluated by your first steps group, or your local school after age three. Is she understanding you? comprehension wise? and just having trouble responding? or getting her ideas out of her head?

either way expose her to as much language as you can, reading to her, talking to her, singing, chanting, even humming. Rhythm, repetition, repeating. expose her to as much as you can. Make hers a language rich world
Heidi 10:41 AM 09-28-2011
It sounds very much like either a speech problem or another type of developmental issue. My friend's daughter did this at about that age. She is now 11 and has since been diagnosed with a mild "autistic like" condition.

If mom is the receptive type, give her the phone number for your early childhood or "childfind" in your state. Otherwise, it should be caught at her next check up, though unless mom expresses concern, they may not catch on.
countrymom 10:56 AM 09-28-2011
I had a boy like this, he turned 4 recently and is now in jk (junior kindy or preschool its the same) and when I mentioned it to dad, he said "let the school deal with it" and I left it at that. When this kid talks, he sounds like he's swearing half the time.
tbutler 11:14 AM 09-28-2011
I had a dcb start recently that does the same thing and I've been trying to figure out how to word it here on the forum. I have other behavioral issues as well with him. I won't hijack your post with it though.
tbutler 11:15 AM 09-28-2011
I had a dcb3 start recently that does the same thing and I've been trying to figure out how to word it here on the forum. I have other behavioral issues as well with him. I won't hijack your post with it though.
Reply Up