Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Actual Food Cost Record Keeping Question
hwichlaz 03:09 PM 09-25-2017
I use a 5 week rotating menu published by Provider's Choice Food program. It comes complete with a shopping list. So, I've been using that list to order from Amazon Fresh. I also order my family's grocers from Amazon Fresh, but I do it in a separate order, delivered on a different day. I'm spending double what the food program reimburses me.

Is a printed version of that published menu and shopping list, along with my amazon fresh order with only those items purchased on it sufficient record?

It's still less than what I spend on the daycare because I end up sharing our food with them sometimes, but I never shar their food with us, if that makes sense...and it gives me a better deduction than the standard meal rate.
TomCopeland 07:46 AM 09-26-2017
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
I use a 5 week rotating menu published by Provider's Choice Food program. It comes complete with a shopping list. So, I've been using that list to order from Amazon Fresh. I also order my family's grocers from Amazon Fresh, but I do it in a separate order, delivered on a different day. I'm spending double what the food program reimburses me.

Is a printed version of that published menu and shopping list, along with my amazon fresh order with only those items purchased on it sufficient record?

It's still less than what I spend on the daycare because I end up sharing our food with them sometimes, but I never shar their food with us, if that makes sense...and it gives me a better deduction than the standard meal rate.
To claim the actual cost of food expenses for your business, you'll need attendance records showing what meals each child ate, food receipts for all business and personal food, and a method showing how you determined how much the day care children ate and what it cost. You could price out several meals and snacks and use your own average cost per meal/snack. You could show that you buy business food separate from personal food. You could estimate a % of all the food that was business. My book Family Child Care Record Keeping Guide describes six ways to do this. The most important thing is to keep all business and personal food receipts.
hwichlaz 01:52 PM 09-26-2017
Ok, thank you. I think I'll come up with my own average meal price That seems like the best of both worlds... a bit more work at first, but then the ease of just counting meal attendance and keeping receipts afterward.
Tags:food costs, record keeping
Reply Up