Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nap Mats, Sleeping Bags Etc
lovemykidstoo 06:45 PM 07-09-2018
What is your preference, mats, cots or sleeping bag type of things? Do different states have different rules? I've always used the tri fold mats and need to replace them. I like that I can just clean them so easily because their vinyl. I've had them so long I forgot where I bought them. Where is a good place that is inexpensive?
Lovisa 07:12 AM 07-10-2018
I have memory foam nap mats with an attached blanket and pillow that I love. They roll up and don't take up much space at all when not in use. I throw them in the washer once a week!
hwichlaz 07:28 AM 07-10-2018
I have 6 cots, 2 mats, and 2 cribs.

I stack the cots in two stacks of 3, put a mat on top. And slipcover them. They kids use it as a sofa.
Pandaluver21 08:10 AM 07-10-2018
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Frozen-Po...l-Bed/37530862

I have a few different ones of these (different colors/characters)
Some times I use them as the sleeping bag that comes on them, but usually I put a crib sheet over it.. makes it easier to wash
Cat Herder 08:58 AM 07-10-2018
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
What is your preference, mats, cots or sleeping bag type of things? Do different states have different rules? I've always used the tri fold mats and need to replace them. I like that I can just clean them so easily because their vinyl. I've had them so long I forgot where I bought them. Where is a good place that is inexpensive?
Cots are "preferred" here although I don't like or use them.

Here, mats have to be minimum two inches thick and non-porous. That means buying 3 inch thick mats because they become permanently compressed in under 6 months time.

I like https://www.kinderkidzstuff.com/ although I buy crib mattresses instead of their mats, now. I still buy their sheets in bulk, though. They are my favorite supplier.
LK5kids 03:23 PM 07-10-2018
Kids bring a sleeping bag. Years ago ( and for many years) I used tri-fold mats. They were fine but they still needed a blanket. I think it's nice for them to have their own sleeping bag to use. It's special.

I store them in the cheapo pop-up laundry baskets from Wal-mart. They are about $3.00. The sleeping bags just slip right in. It does take a bit of space to store them this way. More than mats.
lovemykidstoo 06:19 AM 07-11-2018
Not sure about other states, but here we need to put fitted sheets on the pack and play mattresses, but not floor mats. Anyone know the logic on that?
Cat Herder 07:45 AM 07-11-2018
Not sure about other states, but here we need to put fitted sheets on the pack and play mattresses, but not floor mats. Anyone know the logic on that?
You mean like to allow their face to lay directly on the plastic mats? That would feel awful. I would not allow it for even their bare legs and arms, but the face seems really miserable.

My guess of the reg would be suffocation risk in infants.

Are are you allowed pillows?

We can't allow pillows until age 3. That is why I use the soft flannel slip on/pillow case sheets. Washed daily.
lovemykidstoo 07:48 AM 07-11-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
You mean like to allow their face to lay directly on the plastic mats?

Are are you allowed pillows?

We can't allow pillows until age 3.
Yes, we have to have a fitted sheet on the mattress for porta cribs, but not mandated for vinyl nap mats. That just doesn't make sense to me. I don't have pillows. Under 24 months they can't have them anyway. I put fitted sheets on all of my sleep surfaces.
Cat Herder 07:55 AM 07-11-2018
Yes, we have to have a fitted sheet on the mattress for porta cribs, but not mandated for vinyl nap mats. That just doesn't make sense to me. I don't have pillows. Under 24 months they can't have them anyway. I put fitted sheets on all of my sleep surfaces.
I edited to make myself clearer before I saw your post. Sorry.

I am with you on the sheets.

I wish I could use the travel pillows for my two year olds. It makes sense for under two because of physical development. 3 seems a bit extreme.
Cat Herder 07:58 AM 07-11-2018
It is possible they are trying to keep it simple to clean up after nap time accidents?

To me, the risk of it just running off into the rugs would be even higher without an absorbent sheet and under chuck.
Blackcat31 09:19 AM 07-11-2018
My state requires a fitted sheet for cribs and PNP's that can be lifted no more than 1" off the mattress when 'pinched' in the center. Yes, our licensor checks every time he/she visits.

We are NOT required to have covering on nap mats. We have no rules about pillows (or blankets) for any age other than those under age 12 months and those regulations in place for sanitary purposes (such as individual bedding/laundered etc)

I use the Kindergarten nap mats and don't place anything on them (in regards to a covering or a sheet). The kids all have their own blankets but they sleep directly on the nap mats. The mats are wiped down after each rest period before being folded and placed away for the next day.

I've never thought twice about whether it was/wasn't comfortable as it's just how I've always done things. No parent has ever said anything about it either and neither has licensing. (I rested the same way in Kindergarten so I guess I don't see an issue with it)
LK5kids 03:08 PM 07-11-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My state requires a fitted sheet for cribs and PNP's that can be lifted no more than 1" off the mattress when 'pinched' in the center. Yes, our licensor checks every time he/she visits.

We are NOT required to have covering on nap mats. We have no rules about pillows (or blankets) for any age other than those under age 12 months and those regulations in place for sanitary purposes (such as individual bedding/laundered etc)

I use the Kindergarten nap mats and don't place anything on them (in regards to a covering or a sheet). The kids all have their own blankets but they sleep directly on the nap mats. The mats are wiped down after each rest period before being folded and placed away for the next day.

I've never thought twice about whether it was/wasn't comfortable as it's just how I've always done things. No parent has ever said anything about it either and neither has licensing. (I rested the same way in Kindergarten so I guess I don't see an issue with it)
When I used mats I never had a covering for them either. I also never thought about it being uncomfortable. Each child did have a pillow.
KSDC 08:22 AM 07-13-2018
I use the foldable naptmats (once they move from PnP) and cover them with body pillow pillowcases. They fit perfect and are easily laundered. My kids also get a small pillow and a blanket. They all fold up into plastic totes (one box for each set).
Jupadia 08:53 AM 07-13-2018
I've cited two cots, two playpens (though ones at Nanas right now since I dont need it currently), one extra back up thinner foam mat. As well as my kids rooms where my own sleep in their beds. I dont worry about covering the cuts (had sheets but elastics broke so I did not worry about replacing). Playpens I dont worry about after 1 years old, and i dont get many under that. They all do have blankets they use. And of course my kids beds are covered in normal bedding.
Gemma 10:59 AM 07-15-2018
For DCK 18mos and older I use cots and a mat on top, one end is folded to serve as pillow
Infants sleep in packnplay, with just the mat that comes with it. The fitted sheets I purchased do not fit tight enough so I don't trust them, and I thought of getting a 3" mattress, but I have no clue if it would be allowed in my State.
Jo123ABC 12:57 PM 07-16-2018
We use folding cots purchased for $25 at Walmart. The kids love them and they come with a fitted sheet.
Tags:cots, mats, sleeping bag
Reply Up