Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Staying sane?
Ariana 08:31 AM 01-04-2012
I've been running my daycare now for a year and a half but worked outside the home as an ECE for many years before I had kids. I LOVE working at home and do not miss my 40 minute commute that's for sure!!

I'm just feeling a bit "burnt out" right now. Not as enthusiastic and excited to start my day like before. Just wondering if anyone has any tips or rituals they do that help them stay sane? Do you schedule breaks for yourself at the end of the day? Take a class? Any and all ideas would be appreciated

Sincerely,
Cabin Fever working Momma!!
MNMum 08:48 AM 01-04-2012
I'm right there with you. I think the time of year probably has to do with it as well. The post holiday blues. I'm already thinking towards summer and next fall as to how the daycare will change. I'm thinking this summer I will do a field trip 1 day per week to get out of the house and change things up. I also want to get my mom to come over 1 day per week (paid) and be my helper, just haven't quite gotten her to commit yet! I would be around most of those days, but also have the freedom to get some shopping done, or just get out of the house. I have two school age kids of my own, so our evenings are filled with running them to activities.

Next fall I may have two kids in preschool so that would definitely change our day.

I think I am also frustrated with the post Christmas mess. Where I am supposed to put all this new stuff!!!

I'm curious to see the replies from the more seasoned crew. I'm new to home daycare as well...
Unregistered 08:49 AM 01-04-2012
Oh, I am feeling the same way. Lately, I feel like my world id closing in around me. I was an administrator in a public school for years, then opened my child care so I could stay home with my own little ones. I miss shoes! And my nice cothes! And talking to other adults....any advice would be great!!!
Blackcat31 09:25 AM 01-04-2012
CHANGE!! Change things up a bit. Change things up ALOT! Rotate your daily schedule. Mix up what you do every single day. Put away some of the old toys/centers and bring out some new ones. Try new all sorts of new projects/crafts/activities and art mediums.

Do anything and everything out of the ordinary. It starts the kiddos wondering and talking and who knows where that leads...kwim? I find that every once in a while I need to simply sit and talk with the kids and laugh about the funny stories they tell, things they say and do and if I listen real closely, they will let me know what things they want to change too.

Invite a guest into the daycare such as a community service person or neighborly grandmother to do story hour. Start planning little mini activities that make the kids will start looking forward to as a special event, pretty soon you will be just as excited as the kids.

Get back to the basics and remember why you went into this field in the first place. Remember and reflect on what it really is that makes you love this job! Celebrate that! Have a party...just because. Make a special treat for the kiddos....just because. Get down on the floor and see the world from the kids' eyes and remember that there IS more to this job than forms, handbooks, fees and policies........
SilverSabre25 09:28 AM 01-04-2012
I hear ya. I am approaching my 2-year anniversary. Scary thought, that. It doesn't feel that long!

I need to get a handle on things though because I WANT to get a handle on things, and the ability to change jobs is pretty far out of my reach right now.
Cat Herder 09:35 AM 01-04-2012
Pick one small project a week.

It does not have to be daycare related EVERY week.

This week I am sorting books on my family's bookshelves. Donate, Store or Keep out on Shelf.

Next week I am thinking about researching Recipes.Com to add one menu item per week for the rest of the year. Surely I can find 52 recipes I can't wait to try? Right....

It is all about perspective.
lil angels 10:00 AM 01-04-2012
I am a bit bored to.. I was thinking about have this lady come into the house that does gymnastics classes for the kids. I think at least for the winter she will only charge me like $20 a class and I think they are 45 min long. I think I may enjoy it as much as my kids.

Also I really make sure to get out in the evenings sometimes alone without even my own kids go shopping or get my nails or hair done. Refresh and make sure to take all of my vacation days I have coming. Also planning little weekend getaways so I don't have to think about or look at my job area. Like my friend says I can look at my 4 walls or come and look at your 4 walls and have a break.
Ariana 10:01 AM 01-04-2012
Thanks everyone! I'm glad I'm not alone

Blackcat i think you're right I need to spice things up. Same 'ol is just getting boring!!

I'm gonna check out Pinterest and get some new ideas
Lianne 10:28 AM 01-04-2012
Knowing that a lot of what you're feeling likely has to do with the time of year, shorter days and colder temps helps me. I know the feeling isn't my fault. I try to be a bit kinder to myself when I'm feeling like this. If I don't get something accomplished, no big deal. I can do it later or tomorrow. If I was grump with the kids, I can take a deep breath and start again with them. Knowing the feeling will pass is also a big help. I try to plan a few activities with the kids, simple activities, and I try to plan ahead enough so I can pick up what I need for the activities ahead of time. Get creative, think outside the box.

Be kind to yourself. Plan a few simple activities but don't beat yourself up if they don't get done. And, know that in time the feeling will pass.
MissKim 10:38 AM 01-04-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Oh, I am feeling the same way. Lately, I feel like my world id closing in around me. I was an administrator in a public school for years, then opened my child care so I could stay home with my own little ones. I miss shoes! And my nice cothes! And talking to other adults....any advice would be great!!!
I taught HS, and I am just the opposite. I don't miss shoes or dress clothes!

But, nap time is my time! I read, surf, or do something creative. I can't wait until we can get back outside again.
laundrymom 10:41 AM 01-04-2012
I had some stale unpopped popcorn, stale cereal, crackers. Etc. I popped the corn then put it all in the yard beside our playroom window. We have been watching critters all morning.
Paint your toenails. I always feel like spring is closer if my toes are cute.
Mix things up a bit. Have breakfast for lunch. Have pajama day. Dump the food program and order dominos for lunch one day. Serve milk from a blender with a few ice chunks and a banana. Make blanket forts. Have a visit from a special person. Most police dept have a children's program. Give your dayparents a piece of paper to write why their kids are special, mail them to your house and open them after nap. Everyone likes a why I love you letter.

Get out of your house.

Go to your local park. Watch people for 10 minutes. Do something different. Eat a new food. ( I prefer uni) get out of your rut. I understand. I truly do. I'm on year 25. Now.
Tags:bored, projects, provider - burnout risk
Reply Up