Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do I Word This Politely?
GotKids 06:11 AM 11-08-2011
I have a mom that lost her job but the kid has still been attending and her father in law has been paying for it. A few times she has said she might not be able to keep paying and he would have to quit. I would ask if that meant she was giving notice and she would say no and keep bringing him. This has been going on for 2 months now. The little one was supposed to be here Monday (payday) and he was a no show until I called to see if everything was ok. She said she would bring him tuesday. Tuesday repeat the same thing except she said she said she was out of money and needed to talk to her father in law so she could get the weekly fee plus late fee. Tuesday night she said he can't come anymore because she is out of money but wants me to hold her spot because she was hired at a job with an undetermined start date.

My issue is that I love the little fellow but the mothers constant instability is a major issue for me. I can not afford to hold the position and waiving the 2 week notice is a sacrifice as it is. I need to respond to her request about holding the spot but I don't want to come off blunt or rude. Can you help me write a nice response?
laundrymom 06:34 AM 11-08-2011
Sally, thanks for being honest with me about things. I have began interviewing for the opening so as soon as you are able to bring him again, give me a call. I will let you know if things change and I no longer have room for him. Hope to hear from you soon.
nannyde 06:55 AM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by GotKids:
Tuesday night she said he can't come anymore because she is out of money but wants me to hold her spot because she was hired at a job with an undetermined start date.

Usually those words "hold her spot because she was hired at a job with an undetermined start date" is a way to get you to not require present money in hopes of getting future money.

Do you have a signed contract with notice requirements?

If you do... then you need to tell her that her notice is received on X date and that she is required to pay X dollars for the fee and X dollars for past fee/late fees. This is due immediately.

Thank her for the business and please let you know if she would be in need of care in the future. If you have openings she's welcome to interview for the slot at that time.
GotKids 07:28 AM 11-08-2011
thank you guys for your early morning help
cheerfuldom 08:23 AM 11-08-2011
Send her a termination notice with itemized fees due immediately. She can check in the future if you still have an opening but start interviewing now. Do not waive two weeks notice fee
daycare 11:03 AM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Usually those words "hold her spot because she was hired at a job with an undetermined start date" is a way to get you to not require present money in hopes of getting future money.

Do you have a signed contract with notice requirements?

If you do... then you need to tell her that her notice is received on X date and that she is required to pay X dollars for the fee and X dollars for past fee/late fees. This is due immediately.

Thank her for the business and please let you know if she would be in need of care in the future. If you have openings she's welcome to interview for the slot at that time.
i would do exactly this....
Tags:bad economy, notice, parental responsibility, two week notice
Reply Up