Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Drama Diva
Pammie 08:17 AM 04-20-2010
I have an almost 3yo dcg that's the biggest Drama Diva I've ever met! She's really perfectly fine with me during the day - she's learned that her drama gets her nowhere with me But pick-up times are getting a bit ridiculous!

For example yesterday, we were playing outside at pickup time, and she had been playing really very nicely until she saw mom arrive at the gate....She ran to Mom crying...

"mom I pooped " (which apparently she did, but as she was running around the yard and gave me no indication that she had - I truly didn't know as I don't make a point to check diapers when we had only been outdoors 45 minutes, and she was changed right before we went out.)

also, "mom, N hit me in the ear with a ball" (which he did, but they were playing ball tag with nerf balls, and she was hit, but in no way slowed down her play, or hurt her)

"mom, Lucy scares me" (Lucy is our dog that plays in the yard with the kids, and this little girl LOVES to play fetch sticks and run around the yard with the dog giggling the whole time!)

I've reached the point that I no longer try to "explain" to mom what really happened, except to say that her darling daughter was perfectly fine until she saw mom. And really mom knows that her daughter is playing her,but does nothing to stop it - so I've given up trying to manage that behavior in front of mom as well. I figure dcg has learned that it doesn't work during the days with me, but it obviously gets her results with mom. Mom has even said on many occasions, "I know it's just me".

Just curious what you would do? Continue to just let it go when she pulls this with mom - or go back to addressing each "complaint" that the dcg gives to mom as she says them?
kitkat 11:34 AM 04-20-2010
Oh the drama of being almost 3

If mom already knows that dcg is playing her, I'd just let it go unless it's one of those things were further explanation is really needed. I would tell her that if Lucy (cute name by the way!) scares her, then she can't play with her anymore. That might change her tune on that story. After she's done with her dramatic daily report, I'd prompt her to tell mom about something positive that happened during the day: Oh dcg, tell mom how you blah blah blah.
TGT09 01:31 PM 04-20-2010
I was going to say, I would be explaining every little thing to Mom as I would worry what Mom would think.

However, if Mom knows that she's dramatic then I would just drop it unless it's either questioned by mom or something "really" worth explaining.

I might even offer to have a talk with Mom after hours about this behavior and explain the situations.
Daycare Mommy 02:03 PM 04-20-2010
Originally Posted by kitkat:
Oh the drama of being almost 3

If mom already knows that dcg is playing her, I'd just let it go unless it's one of those things were further explanation is really needed. I would tell her that if Lucy (cute name by the way!) scares her, then she can't play with her anymore. That might change her tune on that story. After she's done with her dramatic daily report, I'd prompt her to tell mom about something positive that happened during the day: Oh dcg, tell mom how you blah blah blah.
I have a drama queen as well. I do all of the above except have dc girl tell about something positive. I've just been waiting until she's done and then tell the mom about the good myself. I like that idea though. I'll give it a go and see if dc girl will do it. She isn't very cooperative when mom is here so we'll see how that goes.
originalkat 03:44 PM 04-20-2010
That is so irritating. I think you are doing the right thing. Dont change a thing. I have gone through an explaining phase with some parents about all their child's complaints...but then I am OVER IT. I just let it all go. It isnt worth trying to explain every day.
missnikki 05:58 PM 04-20-2010
I heard a teacher once say (jokingly)to a parent..."I promise not to believe everything they say about home if you promise not to believe everything they say about school."
I've always loved that line.
misol 07:03 PM 04-20-2010
Originally Posted by missnikki:
i heard a teacher once say (jokingly)to a parent..."i promise not to believe everything they say about home if you promise not to believe everything they say about school."
i've always loved that line.
very cute!
Tags:3 year old, diva, drama, terminate
Reply Up