Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Kick To The Chest
PitterPatter 07:18 PM 05-27-2011
I have a 3 yr old dcb that has recently started watching power rangers. I guess it's all he watches and 1st thing in the morning he's asking for it. I don't allow TV here. Maybe once or twice a week a small educational video or on holidays a holiday video, that's it. Well I finally got him to stop asking but now all week he just acts out the parts he sees. He tries to do a spinning kick and all kinds of karate type looking moves (I have never watched the show so I don't know what exactly it is but it's fighting bad guys I guess?)

Well today he and my son were sitting in the living room playing cars on the floor. I stepped into the kitchen to get them a drink. My son yells and I run in. He's holding his chest and says dcb kicked me in the chest! It's a very faint red mark no harm really but he did kick and with shoes on. I asked dcb if he did and he says yes and showed me the move and yells I'm a Power ranger and screams SAMURI and kicks and punches the air then leaps and stomps on the ground. I said ok that may be allowed at home but we don't fight here. He yells "GO GO POWER RANGERS" and takes off. I sit him down and explain that he hurt my son and he doesn't get it. I told him he had to sit in the time out chair and think about how kicking hurts. I told him no more hitting or kicking here!

DCM comes and is cheery which surprises me because she has been in a mood lately. We have had a few sassy issues this week due to her being late and not showing up and another bigger issue. I decided to apply the fees I always let her slide on. I hand her the sign out sheet with the reciept attached. She looks at it and her cheer turns to a frown and she says she doesnt have enough money she will have to owe me $2. (her total is only $22 and she just got paid) She hands me the money and shoves the reciept in her pocket.

Now DCB is on the stairs doing power rangers by my son. I decide I am bringing it up now! I tell dcm he kicked my son in the chest doing these moves. She tells him u can do power rangers but dont kick people. She said it with no emotion at all and she didn't have him apologize either. She opened the door and left. I know she's mad because she always says see ya monday or have a good weekend, something. She said not a word to me as dcb and I are saying goodbyes she's dragging him down the steps. They go around the house and I yell have a good weekend dcb! Still nothing from her.

I dont care if she is mad about the fees I am soo SO SO done with letting parents fly. Her fees this week was only $10 but she was mad right away. But I think when I told her her son kicked my son in the chest she was more mad or disgusted. She NEVER likes hearing anything negative. I stopped telling her anything her kid did because she gets mad and storms out when I say her kid did something. I dont report little things by the way. Anyway I stopped reporting for a month. When she asked at pick up how he was I lied and said fine or ok just to avoid her attitude. For a whole month her child has done no wrong here and she still cant take this info!

Was I wrong for trying to nip this power ranger crap in the bud? I have a small 2 yr old (just turned 2) what if he does a kick on his chest? I see a whole new issue coming from this now. WWYD?
daycare 07:45 PM 05-27-2011
You did the right thing, however, you should have said maybe power rangers is not a suitable show for a child that age as they don't understand what is real and what is not. I would have also added that it can't happen again or he will be sent home for the day. Don't don't don't let this parent push you around. Stand firm and strong. This lady see your kindness as weakness and she's riding you like a roller coaster.
I would tell her at next drop off. She is lucky that child did not really hurt your son or another child. And you don't want to wait until that happens to say sonething. You don't want to risk loosing another good family because you needed to keep this crazy one. Girl let the door hit them in the you know what the next time they walk our. You will be happier, your kids will be happier, tour DC will be happier. Trust me
Mom_of_two 08:29 PM 05-27-2011
I would explain that there would be NO power rangers moves at all in my home, kicking or not!! I don't tell parents what is suitable for their kids on their time, even though I might think it in my head-lol. Good luck.
sharlan 09:19 PM 05-27-2011
I am so anti Power Rangers and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. You can always tell when the little boys have been watching them.

Come Tues, I would reinforce before the day got started that these moves are not allowed.
wdmmom 09:32 PM 05-27-2011
No Power Rangers show or moves! No exceptions! He does it again, he's out. No if, ands or buts.

His mother is obviously no help so you have to do this one on your own. If he doesn't stop, it's time to show this family the door.

My child got hurt, I probably would have sent them packing that day!
Live and Learn 10:23 AM 05-28-2011
A hit to the chest can actually kill a person. It happened a couple years ago on the playground at recess in our state.

I am a nonviolent daycare so I would absolutely not tolerate that at all. My #1 job is to keep kids safe.
PitterPatter 10:44 AM 05-28-2011
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
A hit to the chest can actually kill a person. It happened a couple years ago on the playground at recess in our state.

I am a nonviolent daycare so I would absolutely not tolerate that at all. My #1 job is to keep kids safe.
I know that's what scares me!! The kicker just turned 3 so he probably doesn't have much force but still. He was in close contact with my son and did leave a red mark but my son only complained for a few minutes thank God. My greater fear is the small dcb who just turned 2 a couple months ago. AND what other kinds of kicks and such is he learning. I will def stop this in it's tracks!
nannyde 10:51 AM 05-28-2011
This is a good thread on superhero play:

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...ight=superhero

I don't allow that kind of play so I wouldn't accept the power ranger part of it. I would only deal with the spinning/kicking/screaming he's doing when he is copying it.

I would let mom know that he is reinacting the violent part of the cartoon and that we are a non violent day care. We only provide services to kids who are non violent SO whether or not it is in the spirit of the superhero's or not.. a kick to the chest is a kick to the chest.

She can allow it at home but he can't reinact it at my house.
Kaddidle Care 11:18 AM 05-28-2011
Grrr Power Rangers! I hated them the first time they came out - 15 years ago or better. #1 Son always wanted to watch them and I wouldn't allow it.

Did you show her the mark it left on your son's chest? She should have been mortified that her child hurt another. I just don't get people like this.

This mother said: "u can do power rangers but dont kick people. " Oh NO, he can't! Don't allow it and make it plain to Mom that it is forbidden in your house.

Your house, Your rules, not her rules. Sorry, don't like it, go elsewhere.
PitterPatter 08:14 PM 05-28-2011
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
Grrr Power Rangers! I hated them the first time they came out - 15 years ago or better. #1 Son always wanted to watch them and I wouldn't allow it.

Did you show her the mark it left on your son's chest? She should have been mortified that her child hurt another. I just don't get people like this.

This mother said: "u can do power rangers but dont kick people. " Oh NO, he can't! Don't allow it and make it plain to Mom that it is forbidden in your house.

Your house, Your rules, not her rules. Sorry, don't like it, go elsewhere.
The mark faded by pick up but she would have just taken more offense probably.

To be honest here it really doesn't matter anymore I am terming her soon for other reasons.

I will actually miss this little boy because he has come such a long way with me and my family since he 1st enrolled over a yr ago. Kinda ironic. I always thought I would term due to his violence and sassy attitude. Now that is almost gone and I am terming because of the Mom. Just a sad surprising ending.

I"m sad he is being allowed to get into Power Rangers for fear it will spark that violence I worked so hard to get rid of. I know he spends a lot of time alone in his room even late at night with Nick@Night and I saw today thats the same channel Power Rangers is now on so it makes perfect sense. He's being raised by me and Nick. Just sad to let him go but i can't deal with her anymore.
Cat Herder 08:56 AM 05-30-2011
Ugh....Power Rangers are coming back???????

Great......

Why can't they bring back School House Rock instead?
nannyde 09:56 AM 05-30-2011
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
He's being raised by me and Nick.

And the really sad part is that he's still a baby. He's so young.
PitterPatter 05:28 AM 05-31-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:

And the really sad part is that he's still a baby. He's so young.
Exactly and he has come a long way and learned so much already so I know I could do more with him. It was probably a good thing for him that he was with me 10 hrs a day 5 days a week. Coming to an end soon tho. I really wanted to see him through to his Kinder years and see just how much he could blossom but I think I have just reached a point where I have to put my family's needs 1st and let him go. It's sad for me having to drop a child because of the parent. But This DCM has just totally flipped the tables for me I will never be able to work with her and her issues comfortably, even if Power rangers stops.Too much drama.

In a way I'm kind of happy to let her them go because I would love to close at 5:00 and have some extra summer time for my son. We just put our pool up yesterday and remembered we can only use it on weekends or at 7:00pm M-F. So after I term we can at least hop in at 5:00. Sorry got to rambling. Thanks for the input everyone!
nannyde 05:40 AM 05-31-2011
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
Exactly and he has come a long way and learned so much already so I know I could do more with him. It was probably a good thing for him that he was with me 10 hrs a day 5 days a week. Coming to an end soon tho. I really wanted to see him through to his Kinder years and see just how much he could blossom but I think I have just reached a point where I have to put my family's needs 1st and let him go. It's sad for me having to drop a child because of the parent. But This DCM has just totally flipped the tables for me I will never be able to work with her and her issues comfortably, even if Power rangers stops.Too much drama.

In a way I'm kind of happy to let her them go because I would love to close at 5:00 and have some extra summer time for my son. We just put our pool up yesterday and remembered we can only use it on weekends or at 7:00pm M-F. So after I term we can at least hop in at 5:00. Sorry got to rambling. Thanks for the input everyone!
Wow two hours a day less. That's AWESOME. Having one kid for two hours a day would never make me happy. I couldn't do it. No matter how you slice it you can't make money. The only scenario I could see that would work is it were two hours of sleep time for the child. If it's awake time it wouldn't work.

Is the schedule the problem with the Mom?
Meeko 05:45 AM 05-31-2011
I guess Power Rangers must be getting popular again! Many years ago, I worked at a center for a while. We had sooo many problems with the kids kicking and hurting each other and the excuse was always "But I was just being a Power Ranger"! The director put a huge poster size notice on the door that said "Ranger Free Zone"!

I don't allow violent play of any kind. The kids are not allowed to play "killing" each other and such. I don't have any play weapons of any kind either. I believe there are a million trillion things children can play that don't include killing and hurting...even if it is pretend.
PitterPatter 05:57 AM 05-31-2011
Wow two hours a day less. That's AWESOME. Having one kid for two hours a day would never make me happy. I couldn't do it. No matter how you slice it you can't make money. The only scenario I could see that would work is it were two hours of sleep time for the child. If it's awake time it wouldn't work.

Is the schedule the problem with the Mom?
No I have been working 10 hr days for her and only her for over a yr. When I got other kids they still left by 4:00 so I figure if I close at 5:00 new parents my fit into that schedule. I don't open until 8:00 tho. The prob is Drama and just plain rudeness and a lot of it recently. We used to have a great relationship but I started letting things go and letting people walk on me... so my fault as well.
nannyde 06:12 AM 05-31-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
I guess Power Rangers must be getting popular again! Many years ago, I worked at a center for a while. We had sooo many problems with the kids kicking and hurting each other and the excuse was always "But I was just being a Power Ranger"! The director put a huge poster size notice on the door that said "Ranger Free Zone"!

I don't allow violent play of any kind. The kids are not allowed to play "killing" each other and such. I don't have any play weapons of any kind either. I believe there are a million trillion things children can play that don't include killing and hurting...even if it is pretend.
I don't allow it either. I don't allow any super hero play because they inevitably get to the dark side of it. It's either escalating or violent.

I don't know how long you have been doing it but I remember PRECISELY when cartoon network became a channel that was IN the normal basic package of cable packages. It creeped it's way into my house when it was a pay channel kid by kid... of the kids who had parents that could afford it.

When it became a part of the basic lower priced channel packages EVERY kid had it.

I had my share of cartoon addicts.

The Disney channel used to be NO commercials and only clean programming BUT it was also a pay channel and it was pretty expensive. There claim to kid fame was NO commercials.

Then they changed it to they just had their SHOW commercials. Then they changed it to product commercials.

The days when it was all clean disney stuff and little kiddy programming was so awesome. I remember Wee Sing was really sweet.

I miss those days.

I know there has always been chase cartoons and good vs evil cartoons but I have a place in my heart for pure shows like old school barney and wee sing.
Meeko 05:52 AM 06-02-2011
I don't allow it either. I don't allow any super hero play because they inevitably get to the dark side of it. It's either escalating or violent.

I don't know how long you have been doing it but I remember PRECISELY when cartoon network became a channel that was IN the normal basic package of cable packages. It creeped it's way into my house when it was a pay channel kid by kid... of the kids who had parents that could afford it.

When it became a part of the basic lower priced channel packages EVERY kid had it.

I had my share of cartoon addicts.

The Disney channel used to be NO commercials and only clean programming BUT it was also a pay channel and it was pretty expensive. There claim to kid fame was NO commercials.

Then they changed it to they just had their SHOW commercials. Then they changed it to product commercials.

The days when it was all clean disney stuff and little kiddy programming was so awesome. I remember Wee Sing was really sweet.

I miss those days.

I know there has always been chase cartoons and good vs evil cartoons but I have a place in my heart for pure shows like old school barney and wee sing.
Amen Nannyde! I've been at this gig for 25 years now. I don't have tv hooked up at all at day care. I allow videos at the end of the day after we have cleaned up and are waiting for parents. But only ones graded and vetted by me! My own youngest daughters are aged 16 and 14....but there are many pg13 movies I will not allow them to see. However they have friends who watch R rated stuff regularly. I just don't get it...I'm just to old school I guess!
MsMe 09:56 AM 06-03-2011
I am having a REALLY hard time with Power Ranger/Transformer play. I have a group of 6 boys all 3yrs turning 4 in the next couple of months. They are obsessed with action play. I am at my whits end trying to stop it. For an entire year I have had to correct each of them several times a day.

ANY ideas you can suggest to help me nip this would be appricated.

These boys can also NOT keep their hands to themselves even if they manage to not be play fighting they are ALWAYS touching eachthere. ALL I hear is "johnny touched me" "mike touched my mat"

I have been in Daycare for 7 years and and this last year has been *ell.
Tags:3 year old, boys, kicking, television
Reply Up