Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Taking My First Vacation Time, I'm Nervous!
MaritimeMummy 01:53 PM 09-07-2012
How far in advance do you give for your own vacation?

I had been thinking that I wanted to take a week's vacation next month, the week of Thanksgiving (so that I would only really need to take 4 days and get a whole week). So, that's 4 weeks from now. I just groaned...it says in my contract that I would let parents know my personal days and vacation days 2 months in advance.

I'm burning out. It's been a year since I started doing home day care and I haven't taken anything more than a one-day holiday after a weekend yet. I need some time off. I only have 3 DCKs. *just this one time...?*

Since I have no experience with scheduling vacation time, how would you word it?
Crazy8 02:04 PM 09-07-2012
Originally Posted by MaritimeMummy:
How far in advance do you give for your own vacation?

I had been thinking that I wanted to take a week's vacation next month, the week of Thanksgiving (so that I would only really need to take 4 days and get a whole week). So, that's 4 weeks from now. I just groaned...it says in my contract that I would let parents know my personal days and vacation days 2 months in advance.

I'm burning out. It's been a year since I started doing home day care and I haven't taken anything more than a one-day holiday after a weekend yet. I need some time off. I only have 3 DCKs. *just this one time...?*

Since I have no experience with scheduling vacation time, how would you word it?
I'm scratching my head thinking Thanksgiving is over 2 months away.... then noticed you are in Canada, LOL!!!

First thing I would do is change your contract (for future clients) to 30 days notice. As for taking the time this year, I'm pretty much a stickler for following my own contract so I probably wouldn't do it - or if I did do it I'd offer it up as they can take the time unpaid (assuming your vac time is paid??). Personally though, if I was feeling burnt out I would just schedule time 2 months from now so I am not breaking my own contract.
Country Kids 02:11 PM 09-07-2012
Could you make it to Christmas and take some time off? I know thats 3 months away but then you would give adaquate notice and feel good that you didn't short your clients.
MyAngels 02:59 PM 09-07-2012
You definitely need to change your contract . Mine says I will give "as much notice as possible" if I need to close for any reason. This has been anywhere from 6 months ahead to the day before for me.

I would go ahead and give notice that you'll be closing and wouldn't mention anything about the time frame. If anyone has a problem I'm sure they'll address it with you.
MaritimeMummy 04:36 PM 09-07-2012
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
...or if I did do it I'd offer it up as they can take the time unpaid (assuming your vac time is paid??).
All my days off, personal days, holidays, vacation days...are unpaid.

Yeah, I know. I'm stupid. Working myself into an early grave AND cutting my pay.
daycare 05:32 PM 09-07-2012
dont beat yourself up...this is a live and learn business....we will make mistakes and LEARN NOT to do it again.

I have in my policies that I will give 14 day advance notice when possible. I may add or change my vacations with a 14 day advance notice, unless it is an emergency, there may be no ability to give notice.

Also, I plan out my vacations at the start of the year. I make a cute little document of the expected days that we will be closed for the whole year. I take a least one vacation each quarter. Most of it is just taking a friday or monday off to give me a nice break. Of course when i am doing it, I don't really know where I am going to go for some of them, but then take the time over the year to plan some nice get always for me and my family. I leave some of them open for unexpected events like weddings or invites from friends to go camping or such.

one thing that I think we can all agree on is that if you don't make time for you, you will def get burn out...

BTW I state that I will take off up to 14 days a year, but have only ever take about 6. all unpaid
littlemissmuffet 07:10 PM 09-07-2012
If it was paid time, I'd say stick with your contract, but because it's unpaid (I'd change that ASAP, btw) I would send a notice out on Monday simply stating that your daycare will be closed from _______ to ______ (during Thanksgiving week).

I never feel guilty or apologize when I take time off - and yes, I do get paid for ALL closures. I deserve my time away from childcare and I never let parents make me feel bad about it.

GOOD LUCK!
cheerfuldom 07:36 PM 09-07-2012
you need to review your contract and make it work FOR you, not against you. the contract should be something that makes your life easier, not something that ties you down and such. for now, i would plan on taking time off according to the contract.
renodeb 07:08 PM 09-08-2012
I have in my contract that I will give atleast a months notice (more if possible). I have never had a complaint. I think a month is plenty of time. Vacatio is so important. I take two weeks a year, a week in the summer and one week around around christmas. Even that seems far apart. I take all the school holidays off to and I really look forward to that as well. Vacation is essential to our sanity. Dont sweat it! You deserve the vacation.
Debbie
rbmom 07:34 PM 09-08-2012
I try to give my parents about 1 months notice for planned vacations but do state in my handbook I give as much notice as possible so I can give less notice if I needed to.
Reply Up