Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You Term A Family? First Time!
BBDC 11:13 PM 06-07-2013
I have never had to term anyone before. But have decided to term one of my families. I have been having problems with them since they started a year and a half ago and finally have decided to term. I love the dcb but the parents are just so disrespectful. They have been abusing my kindness and now I am done. They are late all the time and twice this week have made me miss something because of them being late. Today got a text when is the latest dcb can stay as field work was taking longer. Well i said 415 which was 45 minutes after supposed to pick up and 15 minutes longe then any of my other kids today and guess what yup not here until 430. Plus yup couldnt pay me again today. Usually i get paid the monday after the friday due. I have a list a mile long of things. But my question is how do you term? talk to them? write a letter? phone call? I admit I have no backbone and am really nervous about terming. not sure why lol!
Cradle2crayons 01:17 AM 06-08-2013
I give the termination letter at pickup and then email them a copy. What does your handbook have in it related to terminations?? Do you have a two weeks paid notice or deposit??

I do have a 2 week notice required of parents, but I can term either immediately, or with two week notice. I also charge a late fee for payments per day they are late.

To be honest, if you aren't charging them a late fee or any other consequence, its difficult to ask them to follow the rules. I also have a late pick up fee.

If they haven't paid by Tuesday morning at drop off, including the late fee, I don't allow them in the door. No exceptions. They aren't allowed back until all their fees are paid. Cash. No checks.

Here is my term letter:::

TERMINATION OF CARE NOTICE

To the family of:_____________________________________

This termination is effective immediately due to the following reasons::

Failure to pay in a timely manner
Failure to follow contracted schedule

According to the contract you signed on record, there is no refund for any monies paid to the provider, including the 2 week deposit previously paid. This is due to the violation of contract on your part. All if your child's belongings that were here are being returned to you today.

____________________________ provider signature

______________date
Blackcat31 07:24 AM 06-08-2013
Originally Posted by BBDC:
I have never had to term anyone before. But have decided to term one of my families. I have been having problems with them since they started a year and a half ago and finally have decided to term. I love the dcb but the parents are just so disrespectful. They have been abusing my kindness and now I am done. They are late all the time and twice this week have made me miss something because of them being late. Today got a text when is the latest dcb can stay as field work was taking longer. Well i said 415 which was 45 minutes after supposed to pick up and 15 minutes longe then any of my other kids today and guess what yup not here until 430. Plus yup couldnt pay me again today. Usually i get paid the monday after the friday due. I have a list a mile long of things. But my question is how do you term? talk to them? write a letter? phone call? I admit I have no backbone and am really nervous about terming. not sure why lol!
I prefer to handle these things face to face AND with a letter to back it up.

I would probably write up a short letter stating that due to continued disrespect and not adhering to your policies, you feel that it is time to terminate your agreement to provide services to them.

I would include an end date or last day you will provide care. (You don't need to list all your reasons, just saying continued disrespect and/or breaking of numerous policies).

I would then tell them face to face "Sally, I'm sorry that I have to do this but I don't feel our arrangement is working any more and I am terminating our contract. Here is a letter explaining why and when the last day is I am available to provide care to Johnny. Please understand this is a business decision and has nothing to do with Johnny personally."

I would also NOT provide any services to them until they pay what they currently owe you IN FULL including any late fees for late payment and/or late pick ups.

The hardest part is the actually notifying them but it really only takes a minute to say those words. Afterwards you will be so relieved and feel so much better.

Sometimes, it just needs to be done and there is no point in trying to salvage the relationship. 9 out of 10 times, by the time the provider gets to the point of considering termination, the relationship is too far gone to fix.

Good luck!
getnsmart 10:42 AM 08-24-2018
I always send a letter after they have left the premises. It prevents arguments. The parents know they are wrong but will wear you out trying to explain reason for termination. Yelp a good letter is the way to go, my opinion.
LysesKids 11:13 AM 08-24-2018
Originally Posted by BBDC:
I term immediately for no pay (it's states such in my written contract you automatically become a drop-in family) and for extreme lateness (3 strikes you are out, I don't care why you are late). I also require prepay for everything.

The fact they disrespected you even after you told them a set time... yep, no care the next day unless all fees (including late pick up) are given to me in cash & in full before they can drop-off little again. I refuse to be a doormat. You are letting take them advantage, and this job means having a soft heart, but you have to grow a backbone because it is still a business

I personally would tell them at pick they are termed and then send an email to that effect
hwichlaz 11:32 AM 08-24-2018
Dear parents,
8/31 will be dcb’s last day.
Signed,
Provider
Rockgirl 12:16 PM 08-24-2018
Wonder how OP handled this....five years ago! Lol
LysesKids 05:42 PM 08-24-2018
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
Wonder how OP handled this....five years ago! Lol
Never fails some of us get caught in a rerun thread lol
Unregistered 07:00 AM 08-25-2018
Wish our director had just written a letter when a parent was terminated. Maybe then it would've been easier and the police wasn't called. (Mom got irate and tried to start a fight with the director)
Tags:terminate - 1st time
Reply Up