Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Not Wearing Seat belt or Carseat
MrsJ 01:05 PM 04-04-2018
I have dck (toddler/ preschool age kids) that leave care with parents who do not put them in a belt or their car safety seat. There ARE seats in the car that are appropriate for age, etc. Parents just choose not to put them in or make them stay in the seat.
My family and neighbor have seen it and all have said something to me recently. This is not the first family to do this over the years.
Do you say something? What/how do you approach this?
Baby Beluga 01:14 PM 04-04-2018
As a mandated reporter you are required to say something. I was told you could be liable if you know the child is not properly restrained when leaving your home and something happens to the child. Provided you did nothing about it.

I had a similar situation a few years ago. To make a very long story short, I had a parent letting her 3/4 year old ride in the front seat of the car. No car seat, no seat belt. The mother had a car seat. The child just didn't like to use it. I called the non-emergency police department, asked what to do. They said it was not a CPS issue, but was a police issue and as a mandated reporter I was required to report. I was instructed to call the police department the next time I witnessed it, provide license plate info, etc and if the child was unrestrained when the mother was pulled over she may be sighted for child endangerment.
Cat Herder 01:25 PM 04-04-2018
Providers may not be able to refuse to release a child to a parent who is driving a vehicle
without a car seat.
BUT providers should contact other parent/authorized person to see if they can provide a car
seat.
If problem continues, discuss with parent. Explain that if corrective steps are not taken, you
may choose to terminate the child from your program.
Consider inserting a clause in your parent-provider contract that states that you have the right
to cancel enrollment if a parent fails to use a car seat when transporting his or her child.

"As a child care provider you have a legal obligation to protect and care for each child in your care. This
obligation encompasses who you release a child in your care to and under what circumstances you
release a child. Releasing a child to an unauthorized individual could pose legal problems for a child care
provider and result in revocation of a provider’s child care license. On the other hand, not releasing a
child to a legal parent could result in similar trouble. Child care providers are often forced to make
difficult and case by case decisions about releasing children. This handout is intended to help clarify the
guidelines for releasing children and assist child care providers in making reasonable decisions. "- http://www.publiccounsel.org/tools/a...d-May-2010.pdf

It is an older source, but still relevant.
MrsJ 01:49 PM 04-04-2018
We didn't realize that this was included. I was just reading up on mandated reporters info for our state and I see that it's listed and they do allow anonymous reports here.
Of course in this case they'll know who it is doing the reporting.
Years ago this happened so I spoke up and terminated care immediately with both of the families. I wasn't very polite about it.
I will be adding to my new, revised contract later this year.
Rockgirl 02:23 PM 04-04-2018
I’d tell dcm that you will have to report her if you see it again. Then follow through. Maybe awkward to bring it up, but my dh told me something a few years ago, and it stuck: If the parents are neglecting to do something they know they should do....pick up on time, pay on time, change diapers, buckle kids, etc, and you say something, the awkwardness is immediately on them, not you.
e.j. 02:40 PM 04-04-2018
Originally Posted by MrsJ:
I have dck (toddler/ preschool age kids) that leave care with parents who do not put them in a belt or their car safety seat. There ARE seats in the car that are appropriate for age, etc. Parents just choose not to put them in or make them stay in the seat.
My family and neighbor have seen it and all have said something to me recently. This is not the first family to do this over the years.
Do you say something? What/how do you approach this?
I had a dcd/neighbor who was allowing his kids (youngest was 4 and enrolled in my day care) to ride home in the back of his truck. I didn't see it but got a phone call from another dc parent who did. She told me she would report him if she saw it again. The next day, without naming any names, I told dcd about the call and said that while I knew he was only driving up the road a short distance and chances were good that nothing would ever happen, if anything ever did, as a mandated reporter, I could be in trouble, too, if I didn't address it. I told him I didn't need or want that kind of liability. He apologized and said he didn't think it would be a big issue since he had always ridden in the back of his dad's truck as a kid and because he lives so close but said that he wouldn't do it again since he understood the position it put me in - not to mention the safety issue it could present for his kids.

It wasn't a comfortable conversation to have with him but I didn't feel I had any choice. Hopefully your conversation with your dcp resolves as easily as mine did! Good luck!
Blackcat31 02:41 PM 04-04-2018
Originally Posted by MrsJ:
We didn't realize that this was included. I was just reading up on mandated reporters info for our state and I see that it's listed and they do allow anonymous reports here.
Of course in this case they'll know who it is doing the reporting.
Years ago this happened so I spoke up and terminated care immediately with both of the families. I wasn't very polite about it.
I will be adding to my new, revised contract later this year.
You said a couple other people brought it to your attention.

If others noticed then I wouldn't assume the family will automatically think it was you that reported them.

I would personally just tell the parents it's not safe and that as a mandated reporter I am suppose to report so they need to make the proper safety choices and start using car seats.
Ariana 04:48 PM 04-05-2018
Geez I contacted a family to let them know the grandparents carseats straps were at the wrong setting! Definitely confront them on this and let them know you don’t want to report them but you are a mandated reporter and will habe to do so. This is what I told my family.
Tags:car seat, carseat, mandated reporter, seat belt
Reply Up