Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Outside Time - Morning, Afternoon or Both?
Lux 05:18 PM 10-25-2018
I'm wondering what experienced providers have found is better- - morning or afternoon outdoor time?

or a bit of both?

If I do it in the morning seems they might sleep better at nap?
kendallina 05:41 PM 10-25-2018
We go out for almost an hour in the morning and often go out for 30-60 minutes in the afternoon.
Unregistered 05:47 PM 10-25-2018
Depending on the weather and if other activities are going on, we usually take ours out in the morning and the evening
Bluemoon5 05:52 PM 10-25-2018
We do morning and afternoon, at least half an hour each, weather permitting.
storybookending 09:04 PM 10-25-2018
We are typically an afternoon only group. We go out after afternoon snack and weather permitting stay outside until pick up. Some mornings we’ll go to the park or on a walk but afternoon works best for my current group.
e.j. 09:13 PM 10-25-2018
We usually go out in the late morning. The kids do seem to sleep better at nap time when we go out vs. when the weather keeps us inside. If there's time in the afternoon, we go out then, too, until parents start to arrive for pick up.
Josiegirl 02:04 AM 10-26-2018
We try to get outside at least 2x a day; lately it's been from 9:00-9:30, then 11:00-11:30(been eating lunch really early), then last time from 3:15-4:00. We won't be doing that when snow flies for good, though.
It's been sooo cold and windy lately, nobody wants to stay out for very long. Course it'd be easier if these little ones would keep their hats/mittens on.
DaveA 05:06 AM 10-26-2018
If we can do twice a day it's so much better. Doesn't have to be for long periods of time. Just enough to burn off some energy and soak up some sun.

If I had to choose one I would say afternoon.
Rockgirl 06:03 AM 10-26-2018
It depends on the season. In the summer, we spend the entire morning outside, then stay in for the afternoon, since it’s so hot. Right now, we’re going out late morning and for an hour or more after nap. During winter, we only go out in the afternoon, unless we’re having a warmer morning.
rosieteddy 06:16 AM 10-26-2018
Getting outside 2x aday saved my sanity.Ido believe it helped them nap better.Iwas lucky to be able to keep the stroller on the inside porch.Ihad their coat hooks there as well.Iwould load up the stroller any one under 2 rode .The others held on we would start outside at 945 go around the block then into the yard.We stayed out until 1145 Ioften fed infants while other kids played.Then we would go back to stroller and push it around and back inside.Weather permitting we started back out at 4pm often pickup from stroller in driveway.Studies have proven outdoor time is great for children.
Snowmom 06:22 AM 10-26-2018
I do an earlier lunch time and we head out after that. Then if it's a nice afternoon, we will go out on the front porch and color/bubbles/read for pick up.
Cat Herder 06:41 AM 10-26-2018
In spring: After breakfast, after lunch then after nap. Temps are perfect for longer stays and picnic meals.

In summer: After breakfast then after lunch. Afternoons often are too hot. Mosquitoes and snakes are very active then as well.

In fall: After breakfast, after lunch then after nap. Again, temps are perfect for longer stays and picnic meals.

In winter: After lunch then after nap. Winters are wet and miserable here from freezing rain and mist. Everything is dryer and a bit warmer most afternoons.
LittleExplorers 07:11 AM 10-26-2018
We do both, sometimes before and after morning nap and in the afternoon. We do a daily nature walk as well. When weather permits, I sometimes use a pack and play outside for morning nap while the bigger kids play.
Blackcat31 07:39 AM 10-26-2018
We go outside whenever we can. Weather permitting.
It depends on the weather but any time we can be outside, we are.
Ariana 07:41 AM 10-26-2018
I say both of you can swing it but afternoon is great if you live in a climate where it’s warmer in the afternoon and morning in summer when afternoons get hotter.

I have a bunch of slow eaters so we are going outside for longer in the morning and staying in during the afternoon. Not enough time between snack and pickup
Cat Herder 07:52 AM 10-26-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I have a bunch of slow eaters so we are going outside for longer in the morning and staying in during the afternoon. Not enough time between snack and pickup
IME, PM Snack on the playground (when possible) creates less mess and has fewer "slow eaters". It also helps with cooperation and time management during clean-up for going home (I change everyone into fresh clothes) because no center toys come out after nap. I offer manipulatives on rugs, in small groups, during that transition. Makes closing cleanup take less than 15 minutes since the majority is already done during nap.
hwichlaz 09:08 AM 10-26-2018
10 am for an hour before I start lunch.

430 pm until pick up
sahm1225 11:05 AM 10-26-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
We go outside whenever we can. Weather permitting.
It depends on the weather but any time we can be outside, we are.
This. Less mess inside to pick up and they’re happy and tired when picked up! I’m in Chicago so it will be soon cold enough for only small outside breaks but we go in the yard every chance we get
Ariana 04:28 PM 10-26-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
IME, PM Snack on the playground (when possible) creates less mess and has fewer "slow eaters". It also helps with cooperation and time management during clean-up for going home (I change everyone into fresh clothes) because no center toys come out after nap. I offer manipulatives on rugs, in small groups, during that transition. Makes closing cleanup take less than 15 minutes since the majority is already done during nap.
I did this over the summer for sure but it is freezing here right now so no go! Big bulky coats, hats, mits, splash pants and then food? Nope we are done nap at 3pm and my first child gets picked up now at 3:45pm and everyone is gone by 4:30pm so even if it was warm it wouldn’t be worth the hassle after diapering and snack. We do play doh or colouring until pickup. Thanks though!
LK5kids 04:52 AM 10-27-2018
10:00-11:20 spring, summer, fall and 3:30-4:30/5:00 spring, summer, fall.

I don't do snowsuits, UGH!

We go out in the winter and play on the sidewalk or walk to the park two houses down. There is a covered picnic area and a large blacktopped area that they play on until the snow Doesn't melt on it.

Kids wear hats, boots, mittens. They are fine. We are outside 15 to 45 min. Morning and afternoon.
Tags:outdoor play, outside play
Reply Up