Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would You Do This?
daycarediva 03:31 PM 10-15-2012
Sorry in advance this is so long!!

I am currently only at capacity one day a week, Monday.

I have a former client (who decided to be a SAHM) going back to work. They were an awesome family, and want to sign now & start in November. I have zero concerns with them. They are willing to pay my current rates (substantially higher), they will be four days per week M-Th, with per diem Fridays on occasion. They don't want to pay for Fridays, but are willing to pay my drop in rate for them since they will be rare. My rate for 4 days is $160, or $40/day. FT/5 day rate is $175. Drop in rate is $50. I will most likely just have her pay the FT rate when he does come Fridays.

I have a PT family/dcb is here for prek & lunch only (8-12). DCD just lost his job, but I have been reassured DCB will continue to come as usual. DCM only works PT. Obviously, I have some concerns about this but DCD told me today that grandma is paying for his prek since he LOVES being here. (He asked if grandma could just write the check). They pay $100/week. I know Grandma (friends with my Grandma- small town!). She doesn't have an extra $400/month to pay me.

When the new family starts I NEED to lose a PT client on Monday's ONLY. Obviously, it is my lowest paying client. I am considering asking the DCF if they would be willing to go to T-F instead of just terming. But then I am only making $80/week. DCB is a HANDFUL (and then some). I will probably burn a bridge when I explain to them that their spot will not be available if DCD goes back to work.

OR

Dh says I should just term (not reliable source of income) and advertise for a the T-F spot. (at a potential $160/week)

WWYD?
JenNJ 03:43 PM 10-15-2012
Full time trumps part time. Wiht the sketchy work and payment situation, I wouldn't ask, I would tell.

"Hey Janie & John, Little Bobby is here M-F for half days. As of *** date, he will need to be here only T-F for the half days. I have a full time client coming aboard and I am at capacity on Mondays. Thanks for understanding!"
Nickel 03:44 PM 10-15-2012
hmmmm tough one. If you did drop them down to t-f I wouldn't tell them you need the spot for another child. Instead I would say something along the lines of, hey, would you be interested in part time care since your financial situation has changed? Honestly, who is to say they willl even still be there in 2 weeks, kwim? How hard is it to find dck in your area. If you did term would you be able to replace dck quickly?
Either way, I hope it works out for you!
JenNJ 03:49 PM 10-15-2012
Honesty is the BEST policy. They will realize that there is a new kid in the daycare and it corresponds with the timing of her asking them to go part time. It's not personal, it's business. It isn't as if she is being mean by doing this, it is a good business and financial move. Since the mom only works PT, it is a feasible option for them. Why would you lie about the motive behind it?
Cat Herder 03:54 PM 10-15-2012
Originally Posted by daycarediva:

They don't want to pay for Fridays

I am only making $80/week. DCB is a HANDFUL (and then some). WWYD?
Honestly, I'd start advertising and say no to both.

Part-time s hard enough, but allowing someone to take 4 out of 5 days will always be a problem for you financially.

Maybe having two shifts of PT available would help? M-W-F or TU-TH. That way the rates equal to a full-time slot and you are full every day?
cheerfuldom 04:30 PM 10-15-2012
I would term that one that you are making pennies on and just replace him....or if it makes you feel better, offer the T-F at your normal rate so at least they have a choice whether they want to try and make it work or not. There is such a huge difference in payments here that I would say that money will be the deciding factor. Keep full timers first, then go by whatever part timers are there the most and pay the most.
daycarediva 10:29 AM 10-16-2012
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Honestly, I'd start advertising and say no to both.

Part-time s hard enough, but allowing someone to take 4 out of 5 days will always be a problem for you financially.

Maybe having two shifts of PT available would help? M-W-F or TU-TH. That way the rates equal to a full-time slot and you are full every day?
While I agree, I love my 'easy' Fridays. I have 2 other kids M-Th, and my oldest kids are here Friday. We do field trips and such on Fridays.

I charge accordingly for 4 days.
5 is $175
4 is $160
3 is $135
2 is $100 and drop ins are $50/day as well. I only take all SET schedules. I won't swap days as I do have per diem families who take almost all of my 'available' spaces.

I enrolled this family prior to my new payment schedule (over a year ago actually) and I don't even offer half days anymore (unless they pay for the whole day).

I make more money (combined) off of my part time kids than I do my FT kids I have one that comes M, T & F, they pay $135, and one that comes W & Th and they pay $100. $235 vs $175! I think it evens out because a PT kid with the exact right schedule is much harder to replace than a FT kid.

New DCM dropped off the enrollment paperwork with my registration fee. I spoke to DCM when she picked up today and told her that I was enrolling a new client that was FT and I needed DCB to go M-Th. She said she doubted dcb will be able to come much longer and we discussed drop in rates for per diem care if Dad gets interviews. (She thought that she could come anytime and it would be $20/day, oy. )
daycarediva 10:32 AM 10-16-2012
Originally Posted by Nickel:
hmmmm tough one. If you did drop them down to t-f I wouldn't tell them you need the spot for another child. Instead I would say something along the lines of, hey, would you be interested in part time care since your financial situation has changed? Honestly, who is to say they willl even still be there in 2 weeks, kwim? How hard is it to find dck in your area. If you did term would you be able to replace dck quickly?
Either way, I hope it works out for you!
It is slim pickings here lately! Last year at this time I was swamped with calls and had a waiting list. Now I am lucky to get a call/week and they are usually just price shopping.

Our area recently closed a very large well paying employer, so the unemployment rate is through the roof. I lost two clients (and filled them with my waiting list kids) from that business closing.
daycarediva 10:35 AM 10-16-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I would term that one that you are making pennies on and just replace him....or if it makes you feel better, offer the T-F at your normal rate so at least they have a choice whether they want to try and make it work or not. There is such a huge difference in payments here that I would say that money will be the deciding factor. Keep full timers first, then go by whatever part timers are there the most and pay the most.
Yes, it's double the pay and honestly with new DCB's hours (he gets picked up RIGHT after nap, I had to convince Mom to push it back so that it would not interrupt nap time. It is 4 days per week for 7 hours (28 hours total), other dcb comes 5 days for 4 hours (20 hours total)!
Reply Up