Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cow’s Milk
Unregistered 05:33 AM 12-05-2017
Parent came in with a bottle of whole milk for her newly-turned 7 month old.

I just can’t.
Cat Herder 06:30 AM 12-05-2017
Nice start to the morning.

"Ok, I will keep it cold here, just have the pediatrician fax the signed letter to me before the next bottle is due."
amberrose3dg 07:35 AM 12-05-2017
And they can come pick up when that poor baby is puking all over the place or has stomach cramps.
Cat Herder 07:43 AM 12-05-2017
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
And they can come pick up when that poor baby is puking all over the place or has stomach cramps.
Luckily no pediatrician would ever fax that signed letter.

It would have to be a prescription diet. I have never heard of one for cows milk. Ever.
Lissa Kristine 07:40 PM 12-05-2017
We served it to him. Needless to say, he had a LOT of less-than-fun diapers today.

My bosses are more into "do whatever the parents want" because we're small and cheap, so we have to cater to their wishes.
Cat Herder 04:40 AM 12-06-2017
Is this infant getting enough formula? Do they understand malnutrition and kidney damage can ultimately kill him?

I'd report to licensing and DFACS.

"Babies can't digest cow's milk as completely or easily as breast milk or formula. Cow's milk contains high concentrations of protein and minerals, which can tax your baby's immature kidneys. Cow's milk doesn't have the right amounts of iron, vitamin C, and other nutrients for infants."

More: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17664905
Cat Herder 04:53 AM 12-06-2017
FTR: DFACS does not go in taking away kids. They will meet with the parents, teach them about infant nutrition, offer financial resources if cost is the issue and monitor them as a support network. They want kids with their families, they strengthen families. It is the rare case that the parents refuse to do what is in their kids best interests. Those simply make the most noise.
hwichlaz 10:59 AM 12-06-2017
I’m wondering how you know what was in the bottle, did the parent label it or tell you?

My pediatrician told me that a little bit of cows milk was fine starting at about 9 months...but that it should be in addition to formula or breast milk, not instead of.

I bet they are on WIC and ran out of formula for the month so they are giving what they can until they can afford to buy more, or get more WIC checks.
Cat Herder 11:17 AM 12-06-2017
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
I bet they are on WIC and ran out of formula for the month so they are giving what they can until they can afford to buy more, or get more WIC checks.
Me, too.

I thought centers/home providers on the food program were required to offer one brand of formula because of situations like this. To prevent a parent from ever having to make this choice.
Lissa Kristine 03:53 PM 12-06-2017
We aren't on a food program. Parents provide their own food.
Tags:anemia, death - explaining, education, infants - milk, malnutrition, milk, training courses
Reply Up