Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How would you respond?
Unregistered 08:45 AM 06-16-2015
I got a FB message late last night about dcb 20 months hurting his leg at home yesterday. Doctor put on a leg bandage. From the message from dcd it sounds like all dcb can do is sit and do sitting activities like books, eating, etc, cause can't be on his leg. It sounds like I would be bringing toys to him, carrying him to/from the table, etc. and needing one on one care. To me if he can't even walk to the table to draw/eat or to the shelf to get toys he should stay home until he can move around a little more. How should I reply and what do you think? Thanks!
bklsmum 08:48 AM 06-16-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I got a FB message late last night about dcb 20 months hurting his leg at home yesterday. Doctor put on a leg bandage. From the message from dcd it sounds like all dcb can do is sit and do sitting activities like books, eating, etc, cause can't be on his leg. It sounds like I would be bringing toys to him, carrying him to/from the table, etc. and needing one on one care. To me if he can't even walk to the table to draw/eat or to the shelf to get toys he should stay home until he can move around a little more. How should I reply and what do you think? Thanks!
Will a 20 month old actually sit like that? I have one here who would have to be chained down so if we were in that position he would have to stay home for that reason.
daycare 08:49 AM 06-16-2015
I went through this with a client years ago, the child broke their leg. I required a doc note with treatment plan and also listed what the child could and could not do.

I allowed the child to attend with the limitation with the understand that the child was not in any pain that caused the child to be in discomfort. I didn't carry the child around, but did have the child in one activity area where I did have to cater to him.

This child was in a cast for 4 weeks, so it wasn't like there wasn't light at the end of the tunnel

I guess you just have to make sure that the child is stable otherwise, not in any pain and that the parents understand that you will have to fully understand how to care for the child during this time so that you do not further the injury and so that you can continue to meet the needs of all of the children.
Blackcat31 08:57 AM 06-16-2015
If a child is unable to participate in NORMAL daily activities they need to be excluded from care.

My reply to the message would be:

"I am sorry to hear about DCBs injuries. Unfortunately I do not have the staff to provide the one on one care, attention and supervision he needs so until he is back to 100%, I will not be able to accept him into care at this time."

Also, I would consider requesting (I'd require) a Dr's note stating EXACTLY what happened and what the prognosis is other wise it could easily be said it happened at your house on your watch or was made worse at your house...

I don't know, I don't like those types of things being addressed in messages or via Facebook. Those types of things really should be addressed in conversation either in person or on the phone so you can ask questions etc.
crazydaycarelady 08:58 AM 06-16-2015
I would probably give it a try and see how it goes. It might be just fine.
daycarediva 09:22 AM 06-16-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
If a child is unable to participate in NORMAL daily activities they need to be excluded from care.

My reply to the message would be:

"I am sorry to hear about DCBs injuries. Unfortunately I do not have the staff to provide the one on one care, attention and supervision he needs so until he is back to 100%, I will not be able to accept him into care at this time."

Also, I would consider requesting (I'd require) a Dr's note stating EXACTLY what happened and what the prognosis is other wise it could easily be said it happened at your house on your watch or was made worse at your house...

I don't know, I don't like those types of things being addressed in messages or via Facebook. Those types of things really should be addressed in conversation either in person or on the phone so you can ask questions etc.
yup. I had a dcb break his arm at home, Mom didn't say a word until drop off. Dcb was crying before breakfast and telling me he couldn't eat by himself (hurt his dominate hand). I called Mom for pickup and required a note/my form and care plan. The dr said he should be home for 1 week and then he could participate normally. Including feeding himself. It was a LONG summer- Mom refused to even bag up his cast for sprinkler play.
Unregistered 09:06 AM 06-17-2015
Thanks all for your replies. It didn't happen at my house because dcb is not scheduled to attend on Mondays. I ended up agreeing to try it out for the day because dcd made it sound not so serious when I spoke to him. Ended up dcb leg was bandaged and couldn't put any pressure on it at all by standing or walking but nothing was broken. It just didn't work out in my crazy, active daycare the other dcks would almost trip on dcb leg. Called dcd to pick up and dcb will be out the rest of the week. At least they can't say I didn't try since this dcf is such a headache. Can't wait til they leave in a couple of months.
Reply Up