Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ouch. Prickly Parent Post
NoMoreJuice! 10:32 AM 07-16-2015
"I am looking for an opening for a GOOD in-home daycare (full-time) in Overland Park area. My baby is 7 months old and she has reflux. Our current daycare provider says she is incapable of putting my baby on schedule and because of that she wants my baby out. So I am looking for someone who has adequate and appropriate expectation towards babies and are capable of taking care of babies with reflux. Please message me for information."

This ad was on my local FB page for daycare providers. I wouldn't touch this client for two reasons: first, that if a provider asked her to find different care for the baby, it was probably for a good reason, and second, the mom's post just radiates hatefulness towards said provider.

I so want to email the mom and ask her how she expects another provider to take her on when she's being so rude about the last one, but then I pictured Kermit drinking tea and saying "But that's none of my business."
Thriftylady 10:40 AM 07-16-2015
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
"I am looking for an opening for a GOOD in-home daycare (full-time) in Overland Park area. My baby is 7 months old and she has reflux. Our current daycare provider says she is incapable of putting my baby on schedule and because of that she wants my baby out. So I am looking for someone who has adequate and appropriate expectation towards babies and are capable of taking care of babies with reflux. Please message me for information."

This ad was on my local FB page for daycare providers. I wouldn't touch this client for two reasons: first, that if a provider asked her to find different care for the baby, it was probably for a good reason, and second, the mom's post just radiates hatefulness towards said provider.

I so want to email the mom and ask her how she expects another provider to take her on when she's being so rude about the last one, but then I pictured Kermit drinking tea and saying "But that's none of my business."
I probably wouldn't touch it either but some new provider desperate to fill slots will get sucked in.
midaycare 10:40 AM 07-16-2015
Ai yi yi!

Maybe one of those crazies from Craigslist will contact her.
AuntTami 10:44 AM 07-16-2015
Ugh! I would have taken her 6 months ago! Thank god for this board. I'm slowly learning but man; I had my share of these parents!
Shell 11:44 AM 07-16-2015
She needs a nanny...that will likely quit within a week
AmyKidsCo 12:54 PM 07-16-2015
As usual, I'm the voice of contention...

Maybe the provider doesn't have children of her own and doesn't know what to expect from babies. I've worked with enough students over the past 2 years to realize that most people don't know what to expect from children, especially babies. And just because you take a child development course, it doesn't mean you "know" children.
Baby Beluga 01:11 PM 07-16-2015
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:

Maybe the provider doesn't have children of her own and doesn't know what to expect from babies. I've worked with enough students over the past 2 years to realize that most people don't know what to expect from children, especially babies. And just because you take a child development course, it doesn't mean you "know" children.
This is a good point, perhaps the provider doesn't know. However, I personally wouldn't want to work with this mother because of how she worded her post. To me there is no point in the post mentioning her current provider. Her current provider may very well be a terrible provider with unrealistic expectations. Or she could be a wonderful provider with realistic expectations. But, IMO mom simply could have said "ISO a daycare provider who has experience with developmentally appropriate infant behaviors and has knowledge of working with infant reflux"
Thriftylady 03:47 PM 07-16-2015
Maybe I am just old and washed up, but I am on the "do it with do it to me" line of thinking. She bashed the last provider, she will likely bash me. I don't need the headache.
NoMoreJuice! 04:27 PM 07-16-2015
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:

That's a good point, maybe the provider was inexperienced. I still have to give her props for telling dcm to find new care if it was in the baby's best interest, or everyone's best interest.
Play Care 06:12 PM 07-16-2015
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
This is a good point, perhaps the provider doesn't know. However, I personally wouldn't want to work with this mother because of how she worded her post. To me there is no point in the post mentioning her current provider. Her current provider may very well be a terrible provider with unrealistic expectations. Or she could be a wonderful provider with realistic expectations. But, IMO mom simply could have said "ISO a daycare provider who has experience with developmentally appropriate infant behaviors and has knowledge of working with infant reflux"

cheerfuldom 06:00 AM 07-17-2015
The comment about the schedule screams that this baby does not nap and the last provider expected the baby to nap. "Schedule issues" are always nap issues or feeding issues. This could possibly have to do with reflux, maybe not, but either way, this baby is most likely high needs and the last provider did not want to deal with it when the mom was not wanting to work together on the issue. 7 months is old enough to have "schedule issues" conquered. I have had many babies with reflux and even severe or silent reflux......it can be over come but not without the parents help.
Blackcat31 06:20 AM 07-17-2015
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:

The last parent I had that wanted her baby on a "schedule" meant she wanted her baby to be denied food until the next scheduled feeding and she insisted the baby could not sleep after 2 PM so the baby would be tired when she picked up. Mom's version of "schedule" was not at all conducive to proper infant care/development.

So in my situation, the parent saw me as the provider who was "incapable of putting baby on a schedule" because I REFUSED to deny the baby food or sleep just because mom said.
Thriftylady 07:03 AM 07-17-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
The last parent I had that wanted her baby on a "schedule" meant she wanted her baby to be denied food until the next scheduled feeding and she insisted the baby could not sleep after 2 PM so the baby would be tired when she picked up. Mom's version of "schedule" was not at all conducive to proper infant care/development.

So in my situation, the parent saw me as the provider who was "incapable of putting baby on a schedule" because I REFUSED to deny the baby food or sleep just because mom said.
I hope you informed her that to deny food is abusive.
Tags:facebook ad, reflux
Reply Up