Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Essential Oils
renodeb 02:17 PM 04-14-2015
I thought there was a thread about this already but I cant find it if there was. I was just wondering if anyone uses these or has clients who do. I have one mom who swears by them so the baby always smells like a spa! As long as I don't have to apply it. The scent really lingers. To be honest, Im not sure if I really "buy into" the whole theory or not. My Mother in law swears by them!
Deb
Thriftylady 02:44 PM 04-14-2015
I think it depends on the oil and what you are using them for. The main one I use isn't an essential oil, but I use a ton of tea tree oil for different things from head lice prevention to skin issues.
Michael 02:50 PM 04-14-2015
We have a TAG for essential oils: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...essential+oils
MissAnn 08:11 PM 04-15-2015
Originally Posted by renodeb:
I thought there was a thread about this already but I cant find it if there was. I was just wondering if anyone uses these or has clients who do. I have one mom who swears by them so the baby always smells like a spa! As long as I don't have to apply it. The scent really lingers. To be honest, Im not sure if I really "buy into" the whole theory or not. My Mother in law swears by them!
Deb
I diffuse them every day. Thieves for germs and lavender for nap . The parents sign consents. I use them on myself. Frank and lavender with coconut oil on my face is marvelous. I diffuse lavender to help me sleep.
crazydaycarelady 08:26 AM 04-16-2015
I use peppermint oil mixed with water in a spray bottle as a cleaner that makes the house smell great. Lavender before bed and sometimes I sniff grapefruit oil to cut cravings. I want to get some tea tree oil to make a spray that I heard is good for repelling ticks.
mommiebookworm 12:57 PM 04-16-2015
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
I diffuse them every day. Thieves for germs and lavender for nap . The parents sign consents. I use them on myself. Frank and lavender with coconut oil on my face is marvelous. I diffuse lavender to help me sleep.

What kind of diffuser do you use? My mother gave me some oils, including Thieves. Ive been looking at diffusers, but don't know which would be good.
Controlled Chaos 04:05 PM 04-16-2015
Originally Posted by mommiebookworm:
What kind of diffuser do you use? My mother gave me some oils, including Thieves. Ive been looking at diffusers, but don't know which would be good.
I use eucalyptus at night when cheast colds have over run the house. I also use diluted tee tree oil in all my (no dcks) kids hair to prevent lice.

I would like to know of a good diffuser too...I totally broke a humidifier not built for it lol
MissAnn 05:09 AM 04-17-2015
This is what I have. I love it! I bought another one off amazon and it leaked.
https://www.youngliving.com/en_US/pr.../home-diffuser
missbecky 06:22 PM 04-17-2015
I got my diffuser off Amazon. It is a Green Air...Zen model. Under $40 and it lasts almost 8 hours.
vanessahammond 04:57 AM 11-21-2015
I use essential oils and I must say that they work great, but if you want to be sure, do some research first or check out essential oils shop online like Healing Solutions. Doing this will provide you with the information that you need.
Snowmom 10:50 AM 11-21-2015
I've been an oil user for many years.
I used to be into Young Living, but switched to Native American Nutritionals (which is not an MLM company and you can buy their organic oils right off their website without joining anything- free shipping too).

I would never topically put oils on any child that isn't my own. I diffuse a few select choices during daycare hours, but you do need to be careful as there are some oils that are not meant for use with children. NAN has a good guide on their website explaining oil use and children.

I make cleaning solutions with them as well. I mix up Lemon and Purify into a squirt bottle with water & a splash of vinegar for a floor cleaner. It kills germs, smells awesome and cleans grime better than any chemicals at the store.
Claraskids 01:13 PM 11-21-2015
I will never use essential oils in my home, nor do I allow it to be heavily placed on dc kids before they spend the day in my home! I have severe allergies/migraines and the oils are one of my triggers.
My MIL is huge into Young Living. We've had to ban her from our home because it takes me three days to get the scent out of my home after even a few hours visit with her. During the entire time that she stays here, I can't leave my bedroom. That is how sensitive to the oils I am. I would never subject a little one to that - not knowing if they may have the same sensitivity to it that I do.
I do have one little dcb that is probably getting a small dose at home, but they are aware of my issues and keep it very low on daycare days. I do have to wash his hands and face well every morning though, before we can cuddle at all.
Annalee 01:44 PM 11-21-2015
Originally Posted by Claraskids:
I will never use essential oils in my home, nor do I allow it to be heavily placed on dc kids before they spend the day in my home! I have severe allergies/migraines and the oils are one of my triggers.
My MIL is huge into Young Living. We've had to ban her from our home because it takes me three days to get the scent out of my home after even a few hours visit with her. During the entire time that she stays here, I can't leave my bedroom. That is how sensitive to the oils I am. I would never subject a little one to that - not knowing if they may have the same sensitivity to it that I do.
I do have one little dcb that is probably getting a small dose at home, but they are aware of my issues and keep it very low on daycare days. I do have to wash his hands and face well every morning though, before we can cuddle at all.
The family I terminated recently had kids that smelled like peppermint all the time...much too strong....I laughed and told my assistant that we didn't need any oils with those kids there every day....the mom even offered to buy me a diffuser...while I have no objection to anyone using oils in their own home, I didn't want her to buy me ANYTHING! I just wanted her gone, just took me too long to terminate. As for the oils, I am thinking of trying some lavendar for my own 12 year old because he doesn't sleep well???? But he also has headaches so I might ought to rethink that after what you have posted about oils triggering migraines and he has sinus/allergy issues also????
Snowmom 02:20 PM 11-21-2015
Originally Posted by Claraskids:
Eeks, that's no fun. Although a good way to avoid in-law contact!
I am that way with a lot of perfumes (asthma/allergies).
They must wear it all topically then. I diffuse just a tiny bit- because I can't stand strong scents either and Lavendar is the worst for me.

Originally Posted by Annalee:
The family I terminated recently had kids that smelled like peppermint all the time...much too strong....I laughed and told my assistant that we didn't need any oils with those kids there every day....the mom even offered to buy me a diffuser...while I have no objection to anyone using oils in their own home, I didn't want her to buy me ANYTHING! I just wanted her gone, just took me too long to terminate. As for the oils, I am thinking of trying some lavendar for my own 12 year old because he doesn't sleep well???? But he also has headaches so I might ought to rethink that after what you have posted about oils triggering migraines and he has sinus/allergy issues also????
Lavender is actually suppose to be good for headaches and what they call LLP (Lavender/Lemon/Peppermint) is a popular blend for allergies and asthma.
I prefer Cedarwood for sleep because I can't stand Lavender.
Ariana 10:07 AM 11-22-2015
I have issues with them triggering migraines as well but it is only certain ones. The really earthy scents like cedar or balsam are not good at all. I can get nauseous.

I love anything citrus and peppermint. It really clears my sinuses when there is a cold going around and lavendar seems to keep a nice calming effect.
mamamanda 07:19 AM 11-23-2015
My husband recently bought diffusers for both our bedroom and our boys' bedroom. I do like them, but I feel very nervous about it b/c I'm pregnant and I have such little ones in the house. I've read that you have to be cautious about using them with children under 2. I am always curious as I would really like to diffuse thieves in the house during daycare time, but I worry about the babies and have read mixed reviews about safety during pregnancy. Wish there were more clear answers. I will say though my 14 mo has ear infections constantly and we are getting tubes next month. With the last infection he was obviously in pain, rubbing ears, crying a lot. I rubbed lavender oil around the outside of his ears and he quit crying and started playing in 5 minutes time and then slept well all night. So I do think they work.
Tags:essential oils
Reply Up