Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>UGH Someone Should Smack Me!
daycare 08:53 AM 05-30-2011
So as many of you are enjoying your 3 day vacation, I decided to open. Many of my DCP own their own companies and I decided to stay open for them. Last week I had 4 famlies sign up saying that they needed care for today. I had to have them sign up so that I would get paid by the food program. Low and behold I have one child that comes...The mom does not even have to work today, but brought him anyways....UGH

oh well I wont make this mistake again!!
Cat Herder 09:07 AM 05-30-2011
I stayed open last year and everyone dropped off in flip-flops with bathing suits showing under their t-shirts. Even those who HAD to work.

I don't anymore.
countrymom 09:16 AM 05-30-2011
I told you this was going to happen. What a waste of a day for you.
daycare 09:32 AM 05-30-2011
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I told you this was going to happen. What a waste of a day for you.
lmao..............ugghh Smarty pants......
well Its not going to happen again...I just decided that I am not going to open anymore on the holidays....BTDT right
daycare 09:32 AM 05-30-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I stayed open last year and everyone dropped off in flip-flops with bathing suits showing under their t-shirts. Even those who HAD to work.

I don't anymore.
really......ugh.... you're a lot smarter than I. Even my husband said, I don't know why you did this, you have never been open on a holiday before....Live and learn right
bice99 09:46 AM 05-30-2011
I am listed as closed for all stat. holidays, but in my handbook is says that parents may request that I watch their child. If I do, my drop in rate of $40 is due on top of normal tuition. Guess what? No one has ever asked.
nannyde 09:57 AM 05-30-2011
Did the other families pay for the day?
SilverSabre25 10:13 AM 05-30-2011
I'm closed and yet I had a parent call me this morning and ask if I was open...ok, partially my fault 'cause I forgot to remind her but still. At least she was nice about it, and at least she *called*.

Still, in my gibbering, overly pregnant state, I feel bad about it, lol.
daycare 10:48 AM 05-30-2011
yes she did pay...just about all of my clients pay one month in advance so I am good there, just sad that I did this to myself.....gggerrr
Country Kids 10:55 AM 05-30-2011
This happened to me at spring break-we need you for the whole week, stayed open really only needed me three days. Another parent needed me 2 or three days turned out to be 1 1/2 days and another needed me for one day turned out to be 2. This was after everyone had given me their schedules in writing-my own kids were so bummed because I only ended up with 1 day off.
cheerfuldom 12:25 PM 05-30-2011
I learned the hard way too. Now I always tell the parents in my contract or in advance of what days I will be taking off. They have no choices and no input. If I open it up to them, there is ALWAYS miscommunication or straight out lying so its up to me to control the situation. This is a perk of owning my own business and I take full advantage of it. No apologies, no trying to work things out, and no exceptions.
sharlan 12:51 PM 05-30-2011
I've off all federal holidays.

I had one father show up one year with kids in tow. I knew he had to work, but knew the wife didn't. I asked where his wife was, uh, uh, home in bed. I told him to turn around and take the kids home. He said he couldn't, he'd be late for work. Too bad, not my problem. His wife called 15 mins later, majorly PO'D, ranting and raving. "I" made her husband late for work, "I" ruined her plans for the day. I gave her a 2 wk notice.
daycare 01:14 PM 05-30-2011
oh wow..
well I did recently back at the start of the year change my normal routine of things.
I used to have all of the legal/federal holidays off paid. But then a few of the parents asked if I would be willing to stay open. I thought about it and since my husbnad is always working I decided that it wouldnt be a big deal. However, I would not have done it for just one family. When I mentioned it to all of the families as just an idea, all of them that attend on mondays said yes they would need to work those days and could use it. UGH i think I am going to tell everyone that since no one is showing up to use the daycare but one family, I have decided to go back to closing on all holidays..
AfterSchoolMom 01:18 PM 05-30-2011
I close on ALL holidays. I don't charge for them though, but it's worth it to me for the break!
melissa ann 05:25 PM 05-30-2011
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
I close on ALL holidays. I don't charge for them though, but it's worth it to me for the break!
Same here.
wdmmom 08:58 PM 05-30-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I've off all federal holidays.

I had one father show up one year with kids in tow. I knew he had to work, but knew the wife didn't. I asked where his wife was, uh, uh, home in bed. I told him to turn around and take the kids home. He said he couldn't, he'd be late for work. Too bad, not my problem. His wife called 15 mins later, majorly PO'D, ranting and raving. "I" made her husband late for work, "I" ruined her plans for the day. I gave her a 2 wk notice.
BAHAHAHAHA...I would have too!
boysx5 03:31 AM 05-31-2011
I had one mom asked me and I replied oh are you working and she said no I said we all will enjoy a three day weekend and when she left on Friday she said see you Monday I said no Tuesday and she said oh thats right you'll be relaxing by the pool and I said yes and loving every minute of it.
countrymom 06:07 AM 05-31-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
lmao..............ugghh Smarty pants......
well Its not going to happen again...I just decided that I am not going to open anymore on the holidays....BTDT right
I wanted to say it so bad, lol. You know dh said to me (because it has happened to me) that if they book you their still have to pay, (because I don't charge for holidays) but if you charge for holidays then you should add a 10 dollar clause ontop of it, so if they cancel on you, you won't be out any money but it would teach them a lesson too.
countrymom 06:09 AM 05-31-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
This happened to me at spring break-we need you for the whole week, stayed open really only needed me three days. Another parent needed me 2 or three days turned out to be 1 1/2 days and another needed me for one day turned out to be 2. This was after everyone had given me their schedules in writing-my own kids were so bummed because I only ended up with 1 day off.
sounds like we have the same kind of families.
Tags:food program, holidays
Reply Up