Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Mother's Day
blueclouds29 12:07 PM 04-16-2011
Its not really that far away! Its May 8th!! Does anyone have any good Mother's day ideas that they do with their kids. I have 2 toddlers and an infant. I feel bad that i keep sending home hand and footprints all the time! There has to be something different i can do! Thanks!
DaycareMama 05:34 PM 04-16-2011
My kids are all just turning 2. We will be decorating vases with tissue paper and glue or planting flowers in pots the kids paint themselves.
PitterPatter 05:52 PM 04-16-2011
Originally Posted by blueclouds29:
Its not really that far away! Its May 8th!! Does anyone have any good Mother's day ideas that they do with their kids. I have 2 toddlers and an infant. I feel bad that i keep sending home hand and footprints all the time! There has to be something different i can do! Thanks!
We have a couple good ones. 1 is I paint each childs hand with their fav color and carefully place it on the side of an 8X10 card stock. Then I print out 1 of my favorite poems I found years ago on a plaque. I print it out on stationary and have the child paste it down beside the handprint. I then allow them to pick out a dollar store 8x10 frame and we frame it and they give it to the Mother for Mothers day or even Fathers day. The poem is as follows:

Sometimes you get discouraged
Because I am so small
I always leave my handprints
On the furniture and walls
But everyday I'm growing big
And soon I'll be very tall
Then all my little handprints
Will be so hard to recall
So here's a special gift
Just so that you can say
This is how my hand looked
When I placed it here today

We also make a teacup with construction paper of their choice. With a decoration flower etc they can create, draw glue paint etc. and when u lift the lid off it slides up with a poem and a bag of tea stapled to it. The poem is as follows:

Here's a gift for Mother's Day.
I'll do my best in every way.
But when you get upset with me,
relax and have a cup of tea.
Love johnny
SilverSabre25 04:57 AM 04-17-2011
Originally Posted by DaycareMama:
My kids are all just turning 2. We will be decorating vases with tissue paper and glue or planting flowers in pots the kids paint themselves.
I like these ideas! Might have to use them. My kids are pretty much all between 2 and 3.
morgan24 06:50 AM 04-17-2011
Last year we did flower pots. I painted the clay pots. Then the kids did hand print butterflies and finger print lady bugs. I put the dots and antenna's on for the smaller ones. Then I sealed them with clear spray on sealer.
PitterPatter 10:30 AM 04-17-2011
Originally Posted by morgan24:
Last year we did flower pots. I painted the clay pots. Then the kids did hand print butterflies and finger print lady bugs. I put the dots and antenna's on for the smaller ones. Then I sealed them with clear spray on sealer.
This is such a cute idea!! I have done pots in the past but just let the kids decorate them with paint and glitter etc. Then at the end of the week they would transplant flowers I bought. We tried planting seeds before but not all seeds sprouted well so this way the kids all had a good flower for Mom.
E Daycare 07:22 PM 04-17-2011
I went and bought some of those fruit/vegetable kits they have in the dollar section of target and had the kids plant them last week. I have two 21mo olds (well, one is my DS but I didnt want him to be left out) and we did a step by step of planting them. Im hoping in a few weeks they will sprout and I bought some nice planters for them to be transferred to. I have a few freebies to cash in from some freebie sites so I think Im going to make a small photo book of the kids too.
Meyou 01:25 AM 04-18-2011
We decorated pots and planted bean seeds last week as a little science lesson. They're going to double as part of the kid's gifts to take home along with cards we'll make and they're decorate.
BentleysBands 04:21 AM 04-18-2011
I hear ya. We do handprints each year to. But the parents love to see how they have grown
I do their handprint with a poem and a lil bag of tea. This yet we are also decorating a pot and planting a flower in it. Probably a maragold.
AnythingsPossible 05:21 AM 04-18-2011
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
We have a couple good ones. 1 is I paint each childs hand with their fav color and carefully place it on the side of an 8X10 card stock. Then I print out 1 of my favorite poems I found years ago on a plaque. I print it out on stationary and have the child paste it down beside the handprint. I then allow them to pick out a dollar store 8x10 frame and we frame it and they give it to the Mother for Mothers day or even Fathers day. The poem is as follows:

Sometimes you get discouraged
Because I am so small
I always leave my handprints
On the furniture and walls
But everyday I'm growing big
And soon I'll be very tall
Then all my little handprints
Will be so hard to recall
So here's a special gift
Just so that you can say
This is how my hand looked
When I placed it here today

We also make a teacup with construction paper of their choice. With a decoration flower etc they can create, draw glue paint etc. and when u lift the lid off it slides up with a poem and a bag of tea stapled to it. The poem is as follows:

Here's a gift for Mother's Day.
I'll do my best in every way.
But when you get upset with me,
relax and have a cup of tea.
Love johnny
I'm going to do the tea poem and get the color your own cups from oriental trading. I usually do a handprint craft, so this will be a nice change for my long term families, thanks for the idea!
Lianne 10:59 AM 04-18-2011
We're doing kitchen trivets for mother's day. I bought individual ceramic tiles in the clearance aisle at Home Depot and we'll use paint (specific for ceramic tile) to do handprints or make a picture depending on the child's age. Depending on the paint, I may need to add a sealant. Finally, we put little rubber feet (found at the dollar store) on the bottom.

In the past I've taken white, low pile tea/dish towels and fabric paints, painted the kids' hand and placed it on the towel. I usually did a couple of handprints on each towel in different colours. Then, taking green paint, I'd draw stems and leaves from the palm of each handprint creating boquets of handprint flowers
dEHmom 06:30 AM 04-19-2011
this is what I am thinking....

A LARGE pot (but not ridiculously large) and planting cukes or possibly radishes because they grow so quickly, or lettuce. But I'm definitely leaning towards the cukes.

I will get babies handprints all over the pot, and pray it works! Then I'll seal it.

I know the cukes will grow will in the pots, and if the mom doesn't care at all, then whatever, it's not a huge loss. It'll probably cost me about 6 to 10 dollars total for the soil, and the pot, and possibly another 10? for the sealer.

What type of clear sealer does everyone use? Is it just in the spray paint section?

I might also write a nice poem on the pot, if I can find a good one for plants/veggies

maybe this one?

I took a little seed one day
About a month ago.
I put it in a pot of dirt,
In hopes that it would grow.

I poured a little water
To make the soil right.
I set the pot upon the sill,
Where the sun would give it light.

I checked the pot most every day,
And turned it once or twice.
With a little care and water
I helped it grow so nice.
godiva83 06:50 AM 04-19-2011
Great Ideas! I love the tea towels, I might attempt that with my little ones. I have made candle holders using small glasses from the dollar store and acrylic paint, placed a tea light in it, easy, cheap and very pretty
dEHmom 07:02 AM 04-19-2011
i found this poem to, you can change the pansy to anything you want.

This flower is for you, Mom.

It's a pansy, you see.

It's growing more and more each day.

It's really just like me!

So I'm giving you this flower

With a note that's oh so true.

And when you watch this flower grow

You'll remember, "I love you."
niesen 03:10 AM 08-24-2011
We decorated a vase for my mom and mil as well and they really loved it. Additionally we arranged for flower deliveries to be sent to their home. So they got they got the flowers first and then the vases. They really liked it.
Tags:mother's day
Reply Up