Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Age That Kids Start Talking
lovemykidstoo 08:03 AM 08-28-2014
What is the oldest that your dck's have started talking? I have a dcb that is 16 months old and he doesn't say anything at all. He walks around all day and says ah ah ah ah and points. Of course i try all the things to try and get him to say something. He says nothing, not even momma, dadda etc. He just this week started waving bye bye.
JoseyJo 08:22 AM 08-28-2014
Before last week I would have said the "usual" age is around 12-14 months. But a close friend of mine has a 5.5 month old who is talking She says mama, dada, and hi- actually says hi to people when she sees them and calls mom mama and dad dada! She can't even sit up all by herself yet without wobbling.

So I think the "usual" age is probably MUCH wider than I originally thought. I will be looking forward to some of the other answers to see what the long-time providers say
Blackcat31 08:25 AM 08-28-2014
I haven't tracked all the DCKs I've had but my own two kids were as different as night and day.

My oldest started talking very well by age 1. Full sentences by 18 months.

My youngest didn't utter much (other than a few grunts and half attempts) until probably close to 2 yrs and maybe even a little over 2.

My pediatrician wasn't concerned.

I currently have a 2.5 yr old who's parent is a doctor (family practitioner) and the child says very little and of what they do say, even less is understandable.

DCM has made no mention of being concerned.

The child does not attend any type of services or therapy.

The child does sign and I personally feel that skill has delayed actual speaking...kwim? But who knows.
daycare 08:29 AM 08-28-2014
I go by what the developmental assessments state.

by the age of 2, if they don't have about 50 words in their vocabulary, then you need to start to worry.

I work with a speech therapist that sends a lot of kids to me and she says that before two if they are trying to communicate with you in any way, it's fabulous.

btw I am not surprised that its a boy that is not yet talking. I have 3 boys right now that don't talk.

1. age 17 months, only points and whines
2. age 20months, only signs and will some times try to repeat what you say
3. age 2 100% non verbal and is getting an eval.

while a lot of it has to do with parents and their doings, some kids just are mastering other skills.

Look and observe for awhile and see if the child has other strong skills.

My child #3, 100% non verbal has the best hand-eye coordination I have ever seen in any 2 year old. I won't be shocked if he can write his name soon.
BrooklynM 08:36 AM 08-28-2014
My daughter started saying dada, mama at 6 months, so when my son came along I thought he should be talking....12 months go by, 18 months, 2 years, I was super worried at this time. At the same time he had severe night terrors where he would act as if he was possessed. I video taped it so I could play it for the doctor, he would be banging his head against the wall, trying to hurt me or his sister in a complete crazy rage. In the morning he was sweet as pie. I took him to several doctors. By 2 1/2, one doctor said I think he may be autistic, but I'm not going to give any type of diagnosis, lets just watch him. Then, around his 3rd birthday he was talking in complete sentences and smart as a whip. I did put him through speech therapy in 1st grade because he still couldn't say his L's and R's. The therapy worked quickly and we haven't looked back since. He just started 7th grade, he had straight A's last year and has won numerous awards in school.

I wish I could have gone back in time and worried less. Whatever will be will be and you can only do so much. I should have enjoyed the sweet times more instead of frantically trying to "fix" him. At one point I wondered if I was trying to push him too much and that is why he wouldn't talk. After he started talking I remember thinking- is this kid ever going to shut up! LOL.
Leigh 08:48 AM 08-28-2014
Mine started talking at 5 months...by 12 months, he had a huge vocabulary. His pediatrician was shocked at his 12 month checkup when he said "Hi, Dr. P, what's up?" when the doctor came into the exam room. His bio-brother (doesn't live with me) is 18 months and not a single word. They're all different, and there are so many factors that play into when kids talk. My nephew didn't talk until just after his 2nd birthday...the only word before then was Mom. He was so catered to at home, that he really had no need to talk. He was like the kid you describe, just point to stuff, and he got it. Try asking him what he needs. Do you need the coffee pot? No? How about the frying pan? No? What is it that you want? Can you tell me?

If you give them a reason to, I think they're more likely to do it.
spinnymarie 08:49 AM 08-28-2014
Between 9 m and 2.5 y
This being proven in my own children.
BrooklynM 08:51 AM 08-28-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
I go by what the developmental assessments state.

by the age of 2, if they don't have about 50 words in their vocabulary, then you need to start to worry.

I work with a speech therapist that sends a lot of kids to me and she says that before two if they are trying to communicate with you in any way, it's fabulous.

btw I am not surprised that its a boy that is not yet talking. I have 3 boys right now that don't talk.

1. age 17 months, only points and whines
2. age 20months, only signs and will some times try to repeat what you say
3. age 2 100% non verbal and is getting an eval.

while a lot of it has to do with parents and their doings, some kids just are mastering other skills.

Look and observe for awhile and see if the child has other strong skills.

My child #3, 100% non verbal has the best hand-eye coordination I have ever seen in any 2 year old. I won't be shocked if he can write his name soon.
This is such a good point! I will say that my son who I wrote about in the above post had unbelievable physical abilities. He rolled over from back to front at 3 WEEKS, and he was 3 weeks early I might add! The doctor actually witnessed it, because when we went in for his check up, I frantically told him about it because I was worried about him rolling over in his sleep like that. After he saw it, he went in and took a video and documented it. He said he's never seen that before.

He took his first steps at 7 months, jumped out of his crib (it was lowered all the way down) at 10 months. He could catch balls at just a few months old, he was gifted like crazy athletically and still is. He won Athlete of the Year last year in school. He plays football, baseball and basketball.
Unregistered 08:53 AM 08-28-2014
I've had several children in my care that said absolutely nothing until the day they turned two.Literslly on their birthday,full sentences. Sounded like they were a five year old. I think as long as kids can follow directions and comprehend what you are saying I reall don't worry about it.Right now I have all 2 and three year olds,most of them talk very well and in complete sentences.You can understand them and most of them talked very little before 18 months but I talk to them.I wouldn't worry about it until they are over two.Some kids just don't have much to say,they just like to observe.Just keep talking to him and unless he was born early I wouldn't worry.
lovemykidstoo 08:59 AM 08-28-2014
Thanks everyone. I've seen a wide range of kids with talking over the years, but I think he is the latest talker. He definately understand everything, so I don't worry about that something is drastically wrong. I do ask him quite a bit what he wants and try to get a word out that way. I now once he starts I will be wishing he wasn't talking haha! My kids talked pretty early and my daughter was walking at 9 1/1 to 10 months old, my son by a 11 months. I think alot of it is that they do alot for him. Even their 3 year old they come and put his shoes on, he lifts up his foot in the morning and dad takes his shoes off. Drives me nuts. When we go outside, he does everything by himself. Dad and mom shoes up and he doesn't know how to do anything, so I guess I'm not surprised.
daycare 09:00 AM 08-28-2014
Originally Posted by BrooklynM:
My daughter started saying dada, mama at 6 months, so when my son came along I thought he should be talking....12 months go by, 18 months, 2 years, I was super worried at this time. At the same time he had severe night terrors where he would act as if he was possessed. I video taped it so I could play it for the doctor, he would be banging his head against the wall, trying to hurt me or his sister in a complete crazy rage. In the morning he was sweet as pie. I took him to several doctors. By 2 1/2, one doctor said I think he may be autistic, but I'm not going to give any type of diagnosis, lets just watch him. Then, around his 3rd birthday he was talking in complete sentences and smart as a whip. I did put him through speech therapy in 1st grade because he still couldn't say his L's and R's. The therapy worked quickly and we haven't looked back since. He just started 7th grade, he had straight A's last year and has won numerous awards in school.

I wish I could have gone back in time and worried less. Whatever will be will be and you can only do so much. I should have enjoyed the sweet times more instead of frantically trying to "fix" him. At one point I wondered if I was trying to push him too much and that is why he wouldn't talk. After he started talking I remember thinking- is this kid ever going to shut up! LOL.
aint that the truth....

parents say I can't wait until they can walk, then when they do, the parent says they can't keep up.

Then the same for talking, I can't wait until they can communicate with me and then once they start talking, they never stop.....
Thriftylady 09:59 AM 08-28-2014
It varies so much it is hard to say, my 9 month old DS says mama and dada very clearly. My one year old dcb only babbles some. If you are worried you could refer the parents for an evaluation though. I honestly think how much they get talked to makes a difference. I try to talk to the babies at least as much as I do the older ones, maybe more because that is how they learned. But we can't do a darn thing about what happens at home, only while in our care.
midaycare 10:20 AM 08-28-2014
I have a few 2 year olds who are "behind" in speech. But I think they will be fine. I have a new 2 year old who speaks A LOT of words and she is helping the others pick up words quickly.
daycarediva 10:28 AM 08-28-2014
It varies so greatly. I would love to see some studies that compare early language skills and vocabulary to early reading and later school readiness as strictly from my experience, I have seen a correlation.

DD- Sentences at a year, enrolled in all AP classes by 1st grade, reading and comprehending at a high school level by 3rd grade. Graduating early.

DS- ASD, non verbal until 4. Struggles immensely with school/reading/language even though he has been tested and has a high IQ.

DS- a few words at 2. Speech therapy for a year, released at 3.5. Advanced placement in all other subject areas except reading/vocabulary. Got him a tutor, at grade level.

DS-Full sentences at a year, advanced placement in K. Reading/comprehending chapter books now (starting 1st grade)

and the dck's are all following suit.
Tags:milestones - speech
Reply Up