Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Flooring Question
missheather 10:21 AM 01-18-2014
Hello everyone,
I rent the property that I run a small in-home daycare in. We are blessed to have a great "bonus" room off of the main living area that works perfect as a playroom. Unfortunately it is one of the only rooms in the whole house to have carpet. I want to keep the carpet as safe and clean as possible. What would you recommend that I use?
Should I get some foam mats like this:
http://www.target.com/p/skip-hop-pla...&term=foam+mat

or would it be better to invest in a large area rug? The room is 14 feet by 8 feet so it would be a pretty big investment.
CrackerJacks 10:50 AM 01-18-2014
You could go to Home Depot or lowes and get a big piece of indoor/outdoor rug (comes in different colors) It's not super cushiony, but since its on top of existing wall to wall it should be okay. And, when it gets dirty you can take it out and soap it up, hose it off and hang dry. I used this in our garage play space. More cost effective.
JoseyJo 11:32 AM 01-18-2014
Both of my playrooms had carpet and I worried that it would be too hard to keep clean (lots of mud in KS!) so we put down foam squares in both rooms. Worked like a charm I used these ones:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are 3/4 of an inch thick instead of the standard 3/8" so they are more sturdy and last much longer than the standard ones. For us it was worth the investment

Here's a pic of our playrooms w/ them
Attached: 1playroom4.jpg (102.5 KB) 
sahm1225 05:23 AM 01-19-2014
We just have carpet and I have a no shoes in the house rule.

You can buy carpet remnants at Home Depot or menards and put it on top
Of your existing carpet and then roll it up at the end of the day. Or Costco sells these huge grey foam squares that are intended for garage use. You could always decorate them to brighten the room if you're worried the grey would be too dark
Reply Up