Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New To Childcare, Some Questions
SomethingSomething 01:11 PM 05-16-2014
Hi everyone. I just want to say, your website is very informative. I've learned a lot just from reading posts here in the past couple hours. But I wanted to make my own thread too, as well as introduce myself...

I just got offered a job as an infant teacher at a daycare center! I'm really excited, but also really nervous. I've never worked in childcare before. I know I'm good with children, but, still... I've never spent all day taking care of children. How do you all do it? Do you have any advice for someone who's just starting out in childcare?

I guess I'm just looking for any and all of the advice that I can get... I really want to make a good impression on my first day.

Also, one more question. And this might be a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway. Are infants really messy? Do you just get used to it over time? My friend, who happens to work at a daycare herself (with older kids), basically said "Wow, with infants? They're so messy, you're gonna be wishing for a shower when you get home every day" I asked her what she meant, and she went on about spit-up and diapers and sickness... I'm still really excited, but she scared me a little.
Blackcat31 03:10 PM 05-16-2014
Welcome to the forum!
craftymissbeth 03:15 PM 05-16-2014
Welcome!

ALL children can be messy. In my experience, some are messier than others. You get used to it
cheerfuldom 03:27 PM 05-16-2014
I think infants are the messiest because whenever something happens, they can't clean themselves obviously, at least a toddler can wash their own hands. Plus spit up, vomiting, drooling, spoon feeding and learning to self feed....dont wear anything you care about. comfy clothes are a must.

I really hope you love your job and do well at it and just thrive there, it is a very unique person that can happily care for infants long term. Not trying to be a downer, but that is the truth. It is a hard job! but I hope it works out for you.
midaycare 03:29 PM 05-16-2014
Hi! Infants are cool What they lack in cleanliness they make up for in other ways. Go in there confident, they can smell fear.
SignMeUp 05:58 PM 05-16-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
Go in there confident, they can smell fear.
I want this on a t-shirt

Babies do typically react to your mood. So whenever you get a chance, take a deep breath (or two or three) and relax your body. Smile You will probably be very busy, but just do one thing at a time - you will get everything done
TaylorTots 07:29 PM 05-16-2014
Welcome!

Every age group has its "pros" and "cons" - I really love working with toddlers and younger preschoolers. You have to start somewhere to find your niche
racemom 09:57 PM 05-16-2014
I am an infant room teacher and love babies! Yes sometimes they are messy, but they are so loving and sweet it makes up for it. Some babies spit up alot, but you will learn who and take precautions to contain it as much as possible. And yes you will get used to walking around with drool, spit up, and baby food on your clothes! Also, babies can definitely sense your mood. Some days I have to fake happiness or have a room full of crying babies. I always tell my assistant I fake it until I make it! Hope everything goes good for you. Just relax and enjoy them!
daycare 10:14 PM 05-16-2014
You get very used to the messy. I'll never forget I went to a home cool party and someone says I smell baby food. I look at my sweater and there was baby puke/spit up all down the shoulder.

Ya you become immune to it. Oh and it was my own kids.

Welcome to the form.
Reply Up