Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I wish...
craftymissbeth 04:10 PM 05-19-2014
I could require all of my new infant parents to take a Safe Sleep course. There's a free one at http://www.kidsks.org/Safe-Sleep.html and they even let you print out a certificate. I would love to require parents to show me their certificate along with their enrollment paperwork.

I'm just so tired of getting babies that are put to sleep in unsafe places/positions.

I don't think I'd ever require it, but I would feel much more comfortable knowing they've at least been educated.
llpa 04:45 PM 05-19-2014
Why couldn't you do that? I think it is a great idea! Or at the very least send info home with them and hope it gets read.
cheerfuldom 05:58 PM 05-19-2014
Definitely send home info and make sure parents understand why you dont allow unsafe practices for their kids in your care. And the best thing they can do is to make sure home is safe and that baby is getting consistent care.

I didnt know when I was a new mom that sleeping baby in a car seat was not safe. I never allowed my kids to sleep in a car seat but one of my first daycare moms did. She would ask that I let her child sleep in a car seat and because he napped happily there, I did as she asked. I really did not know any better and had read a ton of parenting books, taken an infant care class, cpr, etc and not one place did I see or read that this practice was unsafe! The infant care class was through a hospital and they never addressed car seat or swing sleeping. Some people really are doing their best and are simply uninformed. I became active on a number of mommy forums as well as a car seat forum and this is where I found the information. They even make you watch a car seat safety video at the hospital where my child was born and it was not addressed in the video!
SignMeUp 06:27 PM 05-19-2014
At my most recent AHT/SUIDS class we were told that child care providers are now required to give parents of infants SUIDS information.
CtheLove 07:15 PM 05-19-2014
Please explain to me what is wrong/unsafe with an infant sleeping in their car seat or a baby swing. I have not heard of it this. I have cared for many infants and have 4 children of my own. My oldest loved her car seat naps and my third my son love sleeping in the swing sometimes that would be the only way I could get him to stay asleep.
So please if any of you lady's could inform me.
craftymissbeth 07:17 PM 05-19-2014
Originally Posted by CtheLove:
Please explain to me what is wrong/unsafe with an infant sleeping in their car seat or a baby swing. I have not heard of it this. I have cared for many infants and have 4 children of my own. My oldest loved her car seat naps and my third my son love sleeping in the swing sometimes that would be the only way I could get him to stay asleep.
So please if any of you lady's could inform me.
Infants can die from positional asphyxiation when they sleep in their car seat because their chin often falls into their chest. The same thing with the swing.
ihop 07:42 PM 05-19-2014
I send home paperwork on safe sleeping and verbally go over our sleep protocol and every infant I have ever had is tummy slept. CO slept, and or slept with blankets or pillows. Some people would rather their baby look comfortable then alive I guess.

Its truly a shame.
SignMeUp 07:59 PM 05-19-2014
I had one who slept her baby on a bean bag chair
JoseyJo 09:11 PM 05-19-2014
I am so proud that my daughter is being so safe with my new little granddaughter (5 days old now!). She puts her to sleep awake in her bassinet with nothing other than a tight fitted sheet and a sleeper. If she falls asleep in the car she immediately takes her out of the carseat when they get home and gets her in the bassinet. All those years of complaining about stupid daycare parents have paid off I guess!
SSWonders 06:41 AM 05-20-2014
I don't see why you couldn't require it. It is your business after all. I think it's a great idea!!!
Tags:safe sleep, sids, sids prevention
Reply Up