Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Closing Time Issue
Indoorvoice 11:21 AM 03-17-2015
A family I've written about before needs me to change my hours to stay open a half hour later than my closing time for their work schedules. This is a full hour after all my other kids leave. We are going to have the a discussion about it at pick up tonight. I've decided that I can accommodate the later pick up time. The problem is that their schedules are not consistent and I often find out at pick up that mom or dad has not been working and they pick up late anyway, usually on a Friday when I want to be DONE. Is it unprofessional to tell them that I'm only willing to stay open late if they are working? I generally don't care what parents do while their children are here, but to stay open that much later for just one child when they aren't working is not Ok with me. I would prefer when they aren't working, that they pick up by 5 like everyone else is expected to. I can't really charge them extra for this because they don't drop off til 10:30 so she will only be here for about 7 hours. Is there any good way to say this or should I just suck it up and expect to work late everyday since that is the time that will be in their contract?
Unregistered 11:23 AM 03-17-2015
I would ONLY do it at a higher rate AND ONLY when they are working.
Annalee 11:24 AM 03-17-2015
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
A family I've written about before needs me to change my hours to stay open a half hour later than my closing time for their work schedules. This is a full hour after all my other kids leave. We are going to have the a discussion about it at pick up tonight. I've decided that I can accommodate the later pick up time. The problem is that their schedules are not consistent and I often find out at pick up that mom or dad has not been working and they pick up late anyway, usually on a Friday when I want to be DONE. Is it unprofessional to tell them that I'm only willing to stay open late if they are working? I generally don't care what parents do while their children are here, but to stay open that much later for just one child when they aren't working is not Ok with me. I would prefer when they aren't working, that they pick up by 5 like everyone else is expected to. I can't really charge them extra for this because they don't drop off til 10:30 so she will only be here for about 7 hours. Is there any good way to say this or should I just suck it up and expect to work late everyday since that is the time that will be in their contract?
Make them an individual contract stating they may use the extra time for this amount xxxxx, BUT clarify, they may only use the extra time when working and you need a schedule each week for their work hours. If they do not comply, then state consequences for this as well! Good luck!
lilcupcakes09 11:27 AM 03-17-2015
I had a parent ask me to do this last year. Absolutely not!! Not even for an extra half hour....I have kids at 630AM, I am not watching another until 6PM...and to mention the fact that all my other kids are gone by 430 at the latest. No amount of money is worth that extra time with my family. And this parent is also a late picker upper, even on Fridays, and even when they are off ugh!!!
jenboo 11:27 AM 03-17-2015
You sure can charge them extra. You are changing your business hours for them.
I personally wouldn't do it bit if I did, I would charge extra and only allow it when they are actually working.
Shell 11:33 AM 03-17-2015
I've done this, and it gets old real fast!
My advice is make it enough $ to justify losing your personal time. In the past, I've charged say $5 more, and wound up bitter. It needs to be at least $10, maybe even more.
How will you enforce the "only if you are working" scenario? Won't they just lie and tell you they are working?
TheGoodLife 11:33 AM 03-17-2015
First, I'd say that you CAN charge more for late pick ups, and SHOULD!
I had a similar situation. Dad worked for military and DCM worked at 7:30 so needed to drop of at 7. I didn't open until 7:30. At first, they were only coming 2-3 days a week when DCD had to work. Then, when they had to pay a set weekly rate no matter how many days used they started coming every day even when DCD was off. The agreement was that DCM would bring at 7 when DCD was working, and DCD would bring later on his days off. I found out later that DCM was bringing at 7 on days when DCD was home, so he could sleep in. I didn't like knowing that I was getting up early for them just so that he could sleep in, so what I did was charge a lower set rate, and then an extra $5 a day for days drop off was early- trying to give monetary motivation for them to have DCD drop off during my regular hours when he was off.
So in your case, I'd tell them you are willing to work until 6 BUT you would have to have the days they need later care in writing by the Friday before and would charge for those days. I'd do $5 for 1/2 hour late and $10 for 1 hour late. Also specify no refunds or credits if they schedule you and don't end up needing the time. Also, if you don't want to work late on Fridays (I don't blame you) let them know you are only available for later pick up M-Th. You have every right to do so, they are the ones asking you to work late for them so don't feel bad!
nanglgrl 11:33 AM 03-17-2015
I agree with unregistered. I would definitely charge a higher rate, it's not your problem that they don't arrive until 10:30. Think of it this way, that last hour of the day, that hour your hate the most...you're making maybe a whopping $3 an hour depending on your rates. Most of my children leave by 3:30, some don't arrive until 10 am, some arrive at 7:30 but they pay the same rate. I have 2 clients that pick up after 3:30 and they pay $5 per hour for each child. Since there are 3 of them I make enough to make it worth my time.
KSDC 11:35 AM 03-17-2015
Personally, I wouldn't do it for any amount of money. I am on the clock for 10 hours a day already. No way am I going to make my day longer. If they value you and your DC, then they can find a way to make your closing time work. (I have had families in the past that had a family member or friend set up to be the pick up person.)

But, if you are going to do it, then charge them for the extra - A LOT extra. Make it worth your time. Or else you are going to find yourself continually upset about working late and wondering if the parents are really at work or just abusing your kindness.

I always look at it this way: the DCPs together pay my salary. If you are working for that hour for only one family, they need to pay your full salary for that hour.
Blackcat31 11:35 AM 03-17-2015
It's kind of suspicious that BOTH parents are now having to work later....

However, IF you are going to allow it, don't do it for free. Add a fee and not a small one. I charge $3 for every 15 minute (or portion thereof) block of time beyond my closing time or before my open time AND its dependent upon having to work ONLY.

If found out the parent was not actually working, I'd be upset and would no longer be willing to allow the later pick up or earlier drop off.
Annalee 11:36 AM 03-17-2015
Originally Posted by KSDC:
Personally, I wouldn't do it for any amount of money. I am on the clock for 10 hours a day already. No way am I going to make my day longer. If they value you and your DC, then they can find a way to make your closing time work. (I have had families in the past that had a family member or friend set up to be the pick up person.)

But, if you are going to do it, then charge them for the extra - A LOT extra. Make it worth your time. Or else you are going to find yourself continually upset about working late and wondering if the parents are really at work or just abusing your kindness.

I always look at it this way: the DCPs together pay my salary. If you are working for that hour for only one family, they need to pay your full salary for that hour.

Indoorvoice 11:37 AM 03-17-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
Make them an individual contract stating they may use the extra time for this amount xxxxx, BUT clarify, they may only use the extra time when working and you need a schedule each week for their work hours. If they do not comply, then state consequences for this as well! Good luck!
Dcd runs his own business and I'm pretty sure his hours just depend on what he gets done day to day so I'm not sure he can decide how long he works. Some days he just gets done with everything in the morning and then spends his day putzing around, other days, he works into the evening. I don't think he even knows day to day what hours he will be working that day. so I don't know if I could ask for a schedule. I'm pretty sure if I did, they would just say the latest time possible for each day. I'm guessing they are asking to pick up later so dcm will do all the pick ups and dcd won't have that responsibility. But it just sucks when I find out he wasn't working and here I am waiting for dcm to get out of work so she can pick up. Dcd and my dh are friends so it's not hard to figure out when dcd is working or not.
spinnymarie 11:37 AM 03-17-2015
Honestly, if I knew they were already prone to coming at pick up time even when not working, I would either expect to work late every day or not do it.
One thing I might try - tell them you can do it every day BUT Friday, that you need them pick up an hour earlier on Fridays.
ETA - I would also most definitely charge for this - my fee is $20/week for a late pick up.
Annalee 11:39 AM 03-17-2015
Dcd runs his own business and I'm pretty sure his hours just depend on what he gets done day to day so I'm not sure he can decide how long he works. Some days he just gets done with everything in the morning and then spends his day putzing around, other days, he works into the evening. I don't think he even knows day to day what hours he will be working that day. so I don't know if I could ask for a schedule. I'm pretty sure if I did, they would just say the latest time possible for each day. I'm guessing they are asking to pick up later so dcm will do all the pick ups and dcd won't have that responsibility. But it just sucks when I find out he wasn't working and here I am waiting for dcm to get out of work so she can pick up. Dcd and my dh are friends so it's not hard to figure out when dcd is working or not.
I think I would pass and tell them NOOOOOO!!!!!!!
Annalee 11:42 AM 03-17-2015
For what it's worth, I am not heartless, just wish I had realized sooner how to protect and take care of my own family by alleviating the issues I have control over.....like my daycare business. I have stated on this forum before how certain things in life like death, sickness, etc are not controllable, but I can control my work hours/pay/clients enrolled/etc.
Leigh 11:44 AM 03-17-2015
I'd tell them that after your regular closing time, you turn into a "babysitter", and those rates are much higher than your "daycare provider" rates. And then, make them so. Base your rates on where you would charge when the parents wanted a night out at a bar, because really, that's likely to happen-parents have a sitter later and decide to unwind before picking up kids (even if not at a bar, they squeeze in some "me" time).
Annalee 11:47 AM 03-17-2015
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I'd tell them that after your regular closing time, you turn into a "babysitter", and those rates are much higher than your "daycare provider" rates. And then, make them so. Base your rates on where you would charge when the parents wanted a night out at a bar, because really, that's likely to happen-parents have a sitter later and decide to unwind before picking up kids (even if not at a bar, they squeeze in some "me" time).
and we as providers enable them to do that many times. Someone on this forum said once "quit griping and fix the problem".....I still have issues arise in daycare but I feel I am much better at dealing with them now that I was years ago.
hope 11:49 AM 03-17-2015
If dcd runs his own business then dcd can set his hours and can be the one who needs to change his schedule to accommodate. I would consider doing it for a huge fee. Maybe an extra $150 a week would be so worth it. Once you tell them the extra amount watch how fast they can figure out a way to pick up on time!
Unregistered 12:10 PM 03-17-2015
Personally I would not do it! A parent asked me if it was ok to be a few minutes late once in a while because on the days she worked she ended when I closed. I agreed because I knew she worked only 5 minutes away. Well the days she worked she ended up coming 5-10 minutes late and would even come late on the days she was not working. I ended up changing my closing time to an earlier time when all the other children get picked up. Never again will I agree to staying open late for one child.
laundrymom 12:18 PM 03-17-2015
Originally Posted by hope:
If dcd runs his own business then dcd can set his hours and can be the one who needs to change his schedule to accommodate. I would consider doing it for a huge fee. Maybe an extra $150 a week would be so worth it. Once you tell them the extra amount watch how fast they can figure out a way to pick up on time!
I agree. $15-20 per day for staying late. At least. If you are willing, that is. I wouldn't be.
daycare 12:20 PM 03-17-2015
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
I agree with unregistered. I would definitely charge a higher rate, it's not your problem that they don't arrive until 10:30. Think of it this way, that last hour of the day, that hour your hate the most...you're making maybe a whopping $3 an hour depending on your rates. Most of my children leave by 3:30, some don't arrive until 10 am, some arrive at 7:30 but they pay the same rate. I have 2 clients that pick up after 3:30 and they pay $5 per hour for each child. Since there are 3 of them I make enough to make it worth my time.
agree with this.....Its not your problem that they choose to come that late.

BUT warning coming here >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT DO IT. I learned the hard way NEVER change your business for anyone. you will grow to resent this decision.

NOw, if you had several clients needing later care and future prospects seem to not enroll because you closed to early, then I might reconsider changing your services to meet the needs of your clientS......notice the S....

If you change your hours for this one family, now they may feel they are able to change more in the future. I am not saying all families are like this, but it usually starts like this.....Then something else and so on..

If you really must do it, here is what I would give them..

Open hour (time you open) to 3:30 $100.00 a week
Open to 4:00 $110.00 week
Open to 4:30 $ 120.00 week
and so on....

Again its not your problem that they choose not to drop off until that time. What you and they have to take into consideration is what time are you starting each day.

if you start at 6 and close at 6, that is 12 day...how much are you making each hour? Does it make sense to stay open for just one person???

I would not be willing to do this for on family......
Rockgirl 12:26 PM 03-17-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
For what it's worth, I am not heartless, just wish I had realized sooner how to protect and take care of my own family by alleviating the issues I have control over.....like my daycare business. I have stated on this forum before how certain things in life like death, sickness, etc are not controllable, but I can control my work hours/pay/clients enrolled/etc.
I am with you! After being late to my own kids' games & performances several times, I changed things. My kids are grown now, but my plans are important....even if the plans are laying on the couch watching tv!
Annalee 12:47 PM 03-17-2015
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
I am with you! After being late to my own kids' games & performances several times, I changed things. My kids are grown now, but my plans are important....even if the plans are laying on the couch watching tv!
AMEN!
Unregistered 12:49 PM 03-17-2015
If you want to work an extra hour, I would make it worth it...$20 extra each day or so? If not, then just say you cannot accomodate pick up after "this time".
Unregistered 01:08 PM 03-17-2015
Figure out your max pay per hour for all spots you can watch kids if you were completely full. Mine is $27 and that's what I would offer per hour after regular business hours.

I've done it before and I've done Saturdays.... NEVER AGAIN! It made me bitter
KIDZRMYBIZ 02:50 PM 03-17-2015
Originally Posted by TheGoodLife:
First, I'd say that you CAN charge more for late pick ups, and SHOULD!
I had a similar situation. Dad worked for military and DCM worked at 7:30 so needed to drop of at 7. I didn't open until 7:30. At first, they were only coming 2-3 days a week when DCD had to work. Then, when they had to pay a set weekly rate no matter how many days used they started coming every day even when DCD was off. The agreement was that DCM would bring at 7 when DCD was working, and DCD would bring later on his days off. I found out later that DCM was bringing at 7 on days when DCD was home, so he could sleep in. I didn't like knowing that I was getting up early for them just so that he could sleep in, so what I did was charge a lower set rate, and then an extra $5 a day for days drop off was early- trying to give monetary motivation for them to have DCD drop off during my regular hours when he was off.
So in your case, I'd tell them you are willing to work until 6 BUT you would have to have the days they need later care in writing by the Friday before and would charge for those days. I'd do $5 for 1/2 hour late and $10 for 1 hour late. Also specify no refunds or credits if they schedule you and don't end up needing the time. Also, if you don't want to work late on Fridays (I don't blame you) let them know you are only available for later pick up M-Th. You have every right to do so, they are the ones asking you to work late for them so don't feel bad!
I didn't read all the responses, but I agree with this. It wouldn't matter to me one bit how late they dropped off - I still have to start my work hours much earlier with the other kids so they are asking a lot for late pick-ups. Also, IME, if you ask them to come right after work in hopes of being off earlier every so often, DCFs will start lying to you about being at work. All of a sudden, they will NEVER be off earlier than the scheduled pick-up time again.

I would recommend setting a fee that makes it worth it to you to work that extra time EVERY DAY, and then if they come early one day, well, YEAH!
Unregistered 03:23 PM 03-17-2015
I read the study below before I opened my daycare. I decided when I wrote my handbook to include a lengthy and guilt trippy section about late pick ups. I don't charge any late pick up fees, but I do mention this is because my time with my family is "worth more than I could charge and putting a dollar amount on it gives the wrong impression." It's overboard, for sure, but I have never had a single late pick up. What I do have is families scrambling out the door by 6 and telling their children it's "Time for X to spend time with her family! Let's hurry!!"

If you don't have time to read the article, the gist is that a 'late fee' gives families the feeling that they are compensating you for your time, NOT being penalized for violating your terms (they tell themselves it's 'worth it' for you). Turns out the incentive to be 'good' and stay in good graces is more powerful than the almighty dollar. If it truly is worth the money for you then don't sweat it, but don't charge a fee and think you're teaching them any lessons.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/15/bo...vitt.html?_r=0
laundrymom 03:33 PM 03-17-2015
I read the article and disagree. They charged a small, undeterring amount. if you put a price on them high enough, it will deter them.
I've done it. Not in another country, but here in central Indiana.
You go tacking on a $20 fee each time they are a minute late... They start showing up on time.
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I read the study below before I opened my daycare. I decided when I wrote my handbook to include a lengthy and guilt trippy section about late pick ups. I don't charge any late pick up fees, but I do mention this is because my time with my family is "worth more than I could charge and putting a dollar amount on it gives the wrong impression." It's overboard, for sure, but I have never had a single late pick up. What I do have is families scrambling out the door by 6 and telling their children it's "Time for X to spend time with her family! Let's hurry!!"

If you don't have time to read the article, the gist is that a 'late fee' gives families the feeling that they are compensating you for your time, NOT being penalized for violating your terms (they tell themselves it's 'worth it' for you). Turns out the incentive to be 'good' and stay in good graces is more powerful than the almighty dollar. If it truly is worth the money for you then don't sweat it, but don't charge a fee and think you're teaching them any lessons.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/15/bo...vitt.html?_r=0

Indoorvoice 06:06 AM 03-20-2015
Well, dcm had others do the pickup this week so we never talked in person like I hoped. Instead she sent me an email yesterday saying they simply wouldn't be able to pick up at 5 ever and that she would "do her best" to get there by 5:30 each day. Oh geez. I drafted about 5 emails back to her, all of which I had to delete because they were so unprofessional. Totally letting my emotions get in the way here! I finally came up with one I liked this morning that told her I decided I could stay open late for her mon - Thurs, but I was still closing at 5 on Fridays, so they would have to make arrangements for that. And I added that she absolutely could not be late at all or I wouldn't be able to provide care anymore. I'm so nervous! These are friends of my husband's and I hate making the relationship rocky because I have to be firm, but I can't let them dictate when I will be done anymore! They are the only family that gives me any trouble. Please tell me it will all be ok! And yes, I learned my lesson! No more daycare for friends!!

Eta: I did consider all of your responses to simply not do it and to charge them extra. However they were my very first family and I didn't even have a contract back then. They were basically allowed to set their own hours because they were my only family for a while, so I felt like I needed to break the news to them in stages that they were no longer allowed to dictate their hours. I did tell them in the email that this arrangement only lasts until the fall, and then my rate for the late hours will go up. I have a contact now and will update it for them to reflect that. Thanks for all your help!!
Rockgirl 06:14 AM 03-20-2015
I know how you feel when it comes to not wanting to create an awkward situation with friends. However, if they really are friends, they will respect you and your policies.
Blackcat31 06:19 AM 03-20-2015
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
I know how you feel when it comes to not wanting to create an awkward situation with friends. However, if they really are friends, they will respect you and your policies.
This is so true!

Well, dcm had others do the pickup this week so we never talked in person like I hoped. Instead she sent me an email yesterday saying they simply wouldn't be able to pick up at 5 ever and that she would "do her best" to get there by 5:30 each day. Oh geez. I drafted about 5 emails back to her, all of which I had to delete because they were so unprofessional. Totally letting my emotions get in the way here! I finally came up with one I liked this morning that told her I decided I could stay open late for her mon - Thurs, but I was still closing at 5 on Fridays, so they would have to make arrangements for that. And I added that she absolutely could not be late at all or I wouldn't be able to provide care anymore. I'm so nervous! These are friends of my husband's and I hate making the relationship rocky because I have to be firm, but I can't let them dictate when I will be done anymore! They are the only family that gives me any trouble. Please tell me it will all be ok! And yes, I learned my lesson! No more daycare for friends!!

Eta: I did consider all of your responses to simply not do it and to charge them extra. However they were my very first family and I didn't even have a contract back then. They were basically allowed to set their own hours because they were my only family for a while, so I felt like I needed to break the news to them in stages that they were no longer allowed to dictate their hours. I did tell them in the email that this arrangement only lasts until the fall, and then my rate for the late hours will go up. I have a contact now and will update it for them to reflect that. Thanks for all your help!!

If he had someone else pick up every day this week, it sounds to me like she DOES have other people that can help her out and pick up by 5.

If you are staying open later just for her, are you atleast charging her for it?

I would charge a premium for ANY time beyond my normal closing time.

I would also have her sign a contract and/or agreement about how she can NOT be lateer than 5:30 or the option will no longer be available and no longer available immediately...not two weeks later...kwim?
LindseyA 07:03 AM 03-20-2015
I completely agree with charging a fee, and a big one... Much more than $5! I love how someone earlier stated the daycare families together pay your salary. By staying late for one family, that one family should pay your total salary that you would make for a half hour or however long they are late. My own children are 8 and 5 years old. My nights with them are so precious everyday, I personally wouldn't want anything to interrupt that.
Indoorvoice 07:13 AM 03-20-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

If he had someone else pick up every day this week, it sounds to me like she DOES have other people that can help her out and pick up by 5.
Yes, I strongly agree! I think they are asking for a later time so they have it on reserve in case something more fun comes along and they need someone to watch dcg. I also think it is partly a control issue and the fact that I have allowed them to dictate their schedule in the past. Plus, since DH and them are friends, I think they see at as "no big deal" and that I should do this as a favor.

If you are staying open later just for her, are you atleast charging her for it?
I decided that I'm not going to charge for it until the fall. The thing I'm struggling with and keep going back and forth on is that I actually have no problem staying open that late for families who need it for work, but this isn't often the case for them. I often find out that dcd has been playing all day while I stay open late just for them. All of my other families do not need me that late right now, so my closing time is earlier, but I'm willing to be flexible if another family came around who needed that 5:30 time for work, if that makes sense. I figure I'll give them until fall since I haven't ever enforced this rule with them before, and then I will be charging. I'll write it up in their contract for them so their is no confusion. I know I can't make them tell me the truth when they are going to be done with work or not, so I'm allowing the 5:30 time for now, but I wanted them to be clear that I was making the decision, and not them.

I would charge a premium for ANY time beyond my normal closing time. Yes, I agree too.

I would also have her sign a contract and/or agreement about how she can NOT be lateer than 5:30 or the option will no longer be available and no longer available immediately...not two weeks later...kwim? Yes, I'm writing up the new contract right now and will be adding that in! Thank you!
I know I should have enforced a more set schedule with them from the beginning, but since they were my only family then and their hours of 10:30ish-5:30ish didn't seem that bad, I decided to go with it. Now that I have more families and my day starts at 6:30 or earlier, this isn't working anymore. They have come to think that I'll just be available whenever they need me, and I did that to myself. So I'm trying to be understanding of the fact that I made the mistake and enforcing this time on them gradually. I know it's terrible business, but I'm trying to balance being fair with being firm. So hard!
Indoorvoice 07:17 AM 03-20-2015
I should also add, that before this issue came up, I was already staying open until 5:30 for them 2 days a week. I only asked for the 5:00 time the other 2 days a week when I knew dad wasn't working those days. Now apparently he is working those days, and they wanted 5:30 every day instead of just the 2 days a week. So they are probably figuring I already stayed open until 5:30 2 days a week, what is the big deal about another 2? But I highly suspect he is NOT working those days, they just want the extra time, which is why I'm being such a jerk about it.
daycare 07:36 AM 03-20-2015
I should also add, that before this issue came up, I was already staying open until 5:30 for them 2 days a week. I only asked for the 5:00 time the other 2 days a week when I knew dad wasn't working those days. Now apparently he is working those days, and they wanted 5:30 every day instead of just the 2 days a week. So they are probably figuring I already stayed open until 5:30 2 days a week, what is the big deal about another 2? But I highly suspect he is NOT working those days, they just want the extra time, which is why I'm being such a jerk about it.
I dont think your being a jerk about it at all. if anything I think you are cutting yourself short...
daycare 07:38 AM 03-20-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
I dont think your being a jerk about it at all. if anything I think you are cutting yourself short...
the other day I ran my time clock reports and was able to see all the over time families get for free each month. every day 10 min for drop off 10 min late for pick up, some days 15 min early drop off and etc. By the end of the month I calculated that I was giving almost each family 5 to 6 hours of free childcare each month. That is about $325.00 per month that am working and not getting paid. That is a lot of money, almost $4,000.00 per year.
Annalee 08:38 AM 03-20-2015
You are NOT being a jerk. Set your time and make them abide by it. If they don't, the can find other care! This is simply a power-struggle and they are winning! Hold your ground! They will either comply or find other care....either way, YOU WIN!!!!
Unregistered 09:37 AM 03-20-2015
Who cares what they do when the child is at daycare?? Your getting paid right? Just set a closing time and stick to it. Tell them you have things to do. It doesn't matter what you do! Sit on the couch for hours! It's none of their business.
Rockgirl 10:55 AM 03-20-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Who cares what they do when the child is at daycare?? Your getting paid right? Just set a closing time and stick to it. Tell them you have things to do. It doesn't matter what you do! Sit on the couch for hours! It's none of their business.
I didn't take it to mean she cares whether they are working or not during dc hours. The parents are claiming they need a later pickup time due to work. If dad isn't working, a later time shouldn't be needed.
daycare 01:23 PM 03-20-2015
here's the plan....Just give them BC's phone number let her give them a professional A$$ kicking and call it a day...lol

I am totally joking.

You can do it, don't feel like because they are friends you can't stand up to them or enforce your rules.

Look at it from this point. If your other clients get wind of this, are you going to do it for them at the same price that you are doing it for this client?? Because if you don't they may be able to come after you for discrimination charges. Keep things fair to all, don't do it for one person if you are not going to offer it to all.

In good old Cali my good friend ran into a law suit about 8 years ago with a very similar situation where she provided special services for a family, but refused to do it for another. the family that she denied took her to court and won claiming discrimination.

Just to error on the side of caution
Unregistered 03:36 PM 03-20-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
the other day I ran my time clock reports and was able to see all the over time families get for free each month. every day 10 min for drop off 10 min late for pick up, some days 15 min early drop off and etc. By the end of the month I calculated that I was giving almost each family 5 to 6 hours of free childcare each month. That is about $325.00 per month that am working and not getting paid. That is a lot of money, almost $4,000.00 per year.
I add all those extra times up and bill at the end of the month for overages. It definitely adds up!
Tags:closing time
Reply Up