Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>WHY Didn’t I Close on the 26th?
Msdunny 04:16 AM 12-17-2019
I just had a mom drop off and tell me that, since her husband only has Christmas Day off, so dd will be coming all week (which is really only Thursday from 11-3. She doesn’t come on Friday). I just realized this week that I definitely should have taken the 26th off, so i was hoping maybe parents just wouldn’t bring their kids. Looks like that isn’t going to be the case.

Oh well, hubby will be home, so maybe the day will go quickly!
Annalee 04:49 AM 12-17-2019
Originally Posted by Msdunny:
I just had a mom drop off and tell me that, since her husband only has Christmas Day off, so dd will be coming all week (which is really only Thursday from 11-3. She doesn’t come on Friday). I just realized this week that I definitely should have taken the 26th off, so i was hoping maybe parents just wouldn’t bring their kids. Looks like that isn’t going to be the case.

Oh well, hubby will be home, so maybe the day will go quickly!
Never count on the parents to do anything, just fix your contract like you want it. I was originally closed Dec. 20 thru Jan 1, but this past week, I sent out a memo and changed it to Dec. 23-Jan 3 opening back up Jan 6. The more I thought about it, I didn't wanna come back on Jan 2. No one said anything "to my face" and I get paid before I close for these weeks. Of course, that is 27 years worth of learning and it has become a little easier but each and every holiday I'm reminded of my wonderful mentors that helped me accomplish this.
rosieteddy 05:25 AM 12-17-2019
Is she off the 26th?I would ask her and if she is I would take it off. Especially if that is the only one coming.Frankly I would send a notice home saying due to low enrollment for that day you have decided to stay closed until Friday.
Msdunny 05:45 AM 12-17-2019
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
Is she off the 26th?I would ask her and if she is I would take it off. Especially if that is the only one coming.Frankly I would send a notice home saying due to low enrollment for that day you have decided to stay closed until Friday.
She is the first I have heard from. I have another family with 2 girls who will most likely be here. Mom doesn’t take off work, and dad doesn’t ‘babysit’. But honestly, I guess each family doesn’t really know the others’ schedules.
Snowmom 07:11 AM 12-17-2019
I hear you.
I'm closed/paid every year from 12/24-1/1.
I didn't officially close Monday 12/23 this year but I should have because I know I'll have at least one family here. The one that lives two doors down and is always home.

But, I only have myself to kick in the arse. I should know better. If I want the day off, I need to take it off because these days, it's rare to find a dc family that actually wants to spend time with their children.
Cat Herder 08:12 AM 12-17-2019
I stayed open most of the week because I have no plans this Christmas and it affords me the opportunity to make a little extra to pay for the playroom upgrades I made this year. I did take Christmas Day to be fair to the kids. You know someone would bring them.
nannyde 09:44 AM 12-17-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I did take Christmas Day to be fair to the kids. You know someone would bring them.
👆not intended to be a funny. Not only would someone but someone’s and it would be from open to close. They do gifts either Xmas eve or Lickety Splikley an hour before the kids were due at daycare Christmas morning and bring them in their Rudolph jammies because they “refused to take them off” needing breakfast because they were too excited about their presents to eat. The parents would go home and have some them time and a nap. They would be late picking them up because their phone alarm didn’t go off.

You would be hard pressed to assemble a decent size group of kids who didn’t include a few who would be there on Christmas if they could be.
Annalee 10:11 AM 12-17-2019
Originally Posted by nannyde:
👆not intended to be a funny. Not only would someone but someone’s and it would be from open to close. They do gifts either Xmas eve or Lickety Splikley an hour before the kids were due at daycare Christmas morning and bring them in their Rudolph jammies because they “refused to take them off” needing breakfast because they were too excited about their presents to eat. The parents would go home and have some them time and a nap. They would be late picking them up because their phone alarm didn’t go off.

You would be hard pressed to assemble a decent size group of kids who didn’t include a few who would be there on Christmas if they could be.
So sad, but so true!
Annalee 10:13 AM 12-17-2019
Maybe I'm just an old fuddy-duddy mom but I have fretted about this Christmas as my sons are 16 and 18 and what can I come up with for Christmas Day morning. While I have figured it out for another year, I know gradually this will end as they grow up and move on. But I can't imagine taking my littles to daycare when I am off for the Holidays!
rosieteddy 11:18 AM 12-17-2019
Its only Tuesday ,send a notice tonight ."Dear Parents daycare will be closed Thursday December 26th.'I would also put a note in entryway tomorrow morning reminding of closures through both holiday weeks.
Rockgirl 11:50 AM 12-17-2019
Originally Posted by nannyde:

This is so spot-on.
AmyKidsCo 12:07 PM 12-17-2019
I'm sorry!

I originally closed 12/23 through 1/2 but then a parent asked for clarification if I was closed 1/2 or opening again and I was worried she'd be upset if I was closed so I said Open and told all the parents. Since then that parent has left...

Once again I'm reminded to stick to my guns.
Msdunny 12:36 PM 12-17-2019
Its only Tuesday ,send a notice tonight ."Dear Parents daycare will be closed Thursday December 26th.'I would also put a note in entryway tomorrow morning reminding of closures through both holiday weeks.
I thought about doing this, but feel like i would have to tell them they didn’t have to pay, and I would take a $200 hit.
rosieteddy 04:28 AM 12-18-2019
Can't you use a sick or personal day.
Msdunny 05:00 AM 12-18-2019
Can't you use a sick or personal day.
I’ve used them for the year. It may be worth taking the hit. Especially since my dh is off work.
rosieteddy 06:00 AM 12-18-2019
If your husband is off, call it a gift to yourself.The parents should gift the day to you.I used to send out a notice the week before.I would list the holidays closed and any extra days.I always said "closed the day after Christmas.So children can enjoy their families and gifts."Hard for parents to negate that. My advice for the future would be to say "closed Christmas and day after with pay." Have a nice holiday.There were a few Christmases where my daughter a nurse would work.My grandchildren had to come to me for the day.They loved my house but I knew they would have enjoyed staying home playing with their gifts.
Msdunny 06:17 AM 12-18-2019
If your husband is off, call it a gift to yourself.The parents should gift the day to you.I used to send out a notice the week before.I would list the holidays closed and any extra days.I always said "closed the day after Christmas.So children can enjoy their families and gifts."Hard for parents to negate that. My advice for the future would be to say "closed Christmas and day after with pay." Have a nice holiday.There were a few Christmases where my daughter a nurse would work.My grandchildren had to come to me for the day.They loved my house but I knew they would have enjoyed staying home playing with their gifts.
I did it! I pulled up my big girl pants and took the day off. The more I thought about cleaning and babyproofing for one day of work, it just wasn’t worth it. And no one needed me for work, but for themselves. I’m all kinds of brave now, so if anyone needs any difficult notes sent to parents today, I’m your girl!!
Blackcat31 06:18 AM 12-18-2019
I’ve used them for the year. It may be worth taking the hit. Especially since my dh is off work.
Take the day off.

Even if you lose the money. It's time you can never replace.

Take the day for you and your family and do not feel one bit guilty about it.

School is out and there are hoards of teenagers and family friends available to watch people's children if they must work.

Take the day off.

You won't regret it in the long run.
Blackcat31 06:19 AM 12-18-2019
I did it! I pulled up my big girl pants and took the day off. The more I thought about cleaning and babyproofing for one day of work, it just wasn’t worth it. And no one needed me for work, but for themselves. I’m all kinds of brave now, so if anyone needs any difficult notes sent to parents today, I’m your girl!!
Typing as you were posting!

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!

You will not regret it!!
Annalee 06:30 AM 12-18-2019
Happy for you!
Ariana 06:31 AM 12-18-2019
Feels good doesn’t it?!

I was wavering back and forth about taking my leftover vacation which would entitle me to 3 full weeks. Figured parents would be mad, or I shouldn’t inconvenience them. Then I thought, if they can’t find care or take vacation for that time it is not my problem and if they walk, good riddance since I am one of the best care providers in town (according to their reviews). It felt wonderful after I posted my intention to close!! No one said a thing and I am now enjoying a much needed break . They need you more than you need them
Msdunny 06:49 AM 12-18-2019
I had a mom drop off this morning. She’s the only one who didn’t reply yesterday. She said if you’re open, we will be here. But if not he can stay home with us. She works from home and has 2 teenagers who will be on winter break. That kind of made up my mind.
rosieteddy 07:09 AM 12-18-2019
So happy for you! You have a tough job and deserve to enjoy your holiday as well.Sometimes we as providers have to force parents to take the time.If you're open they will come. They would have shown up in pj's and gone back to relax.Now the children can lie around with them playing.You get to enjoy a nice long weekend.
AmyKidsCo 11:59 AM 12-18-2019
Yay, good for you!!
Unregistered 04:55 PM 12-24-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I stayed open most of the week because I have no plans this Christmas and it affords me the opportunity to make a little extra to pay for the playroom upgrades I made this year. I did take Christmas Day to be fair to the kids. You know someone would bring them.
When I used to work in a big center we were open during the holidays. Christmas, NYE, ect. Everyone came.
Ariana 10:34 AM 12-25-2019
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
When I used to work in a big center we were open during the holidays. Christmas, NYE, ect. Everyone came.
We always opened one centre and everyone who needed care, went there. We were all part if the City owned/operated daycares. The ECEs that wanted to work, worked! Luckily there weren’t too many kids so most of us got a two week break and those teachers that do not celebrate Christmas got overtime pay
Unregistered 12:09 AM 12-26-2019
nothing can be changed now. But you can send parents a letter that informs them what days you will be closed for 2020. And remember you MUST be paid for those days.
Unregistered 12:12 AM 12-26-2019
I have 12 paid holidays + one week in August and a week in December. This year I closed 12.23-1.1. Paid.
Tags:holidays
Reply Up