Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Off Topic: Any Child Support Experts Out There?
legomom922 07:10 AM 10-15-2010
I don't know if I can ask off topic questions, so if I am doing something wrong please accept my apologies.

My husband has 4 kids that he is paying supoort for at 31% of his incomeThats the amount for 4 kids in my state). I kid is now living with us. Does that mean my husband will now pay 29% for the other 3 and his ex will have to pay the 17% for 1? Or does his child support just go down by 2%?

Has anyone been through this?

If he will now get 17% for 1, I may not have to watch kids anymore!!
Crystal 07:53 AM 10-15-2010
LOL! I don't know anything about Child Support, but I believe this forum is open to discuss most any topic you choose. The only "off topic" that is considered "not okay" is when a thread about a specific topic is hijacked by people arguing and turning the original topic into a completely different subject. Something I, as well as most, have all been guilty of

I hope someone here has the answers you are looking for.
Unregistered 08:33 AM 10-15-2010
Yes it should go down I dont know about the precentage way of doing it. The 1 child is living with you now and in his custody and the Mother has the other 3 so let says he was paying 400 a month for 4 kids it should drop to 300 a month as you are are feeding, clothing, giving the child shelter. He needs to go back to court then and get FULL custody of the 1 living with you and have HER pay child support to him.
DancingQueen 09:02 AM 10-15-2010
Every state is so different. hard to tell for sure
MarinaVanessa 09:30 AM 10-15-2010
Originally Posted by sbschildcare:
Every state is so different. hard to tell for sure
Yes I agree. For instance here in CA they figure out a percentage per child based on your income so for 1 kid with a dad making $12 an hour it could be $300 a month but for a dad with 1 kid making six figures ... well it would be much higher than that.

I guess to me it would only make sense that since 1 of the kids is now living with him the amount from that kid would then be subtracted from what he pays monthly. For example, if he had 4 kids and was paying $1,200 a month in child support and one of those kids moved in then it would only make sense that dad would then pay $900 instead. But who knows. I would call child support and ask. They may not be able to give you exact figures but they can give you an idea of what it would look like. Good luck!! And tell him I said thank you for being a great dad that pays his child support!!
QualiTcare 10:28 AM 10-15-2010
if he's paying for four kids - and one kid comes to live with him, i would imagine like the other poster said - if he WAS paying $400 (which i'm sure it's much more) then it should go down to $300.

there's no way she would have to pay HIM child support when she's still got 3 of the kids.

if he got custody of one more of the kids - so she had two and he had two - there'd be no child support payments at all.

if she makes enough money that you could quit working from her child support - you better believe she'd make sure he didn't get custody. i'd move out of the state before i'd let my husband's new wife live from my child support - but that's just me.
DCMomOf3 10:36 AM 10-15-2010
Does the court know he has physical custody of one now? He may have to file for a change if they don't.
missnikki 02:14 PM 10-15-2010
That's what I came to say, Quincy.

In California, it won't matter until:
1) A modification is requested
2) Both parent's present income verification (blood tests, first born, left arm yadda yadda)
3) Custody is set by judge's order, not just agreed upon by the 2 parents

AND, it will depend on:
1) Both parent's income, or if one has no job, it's based on the amount that person could be earning
2) if parent receives any other state/ county aid (child support may go toward paying that back also, so lower payments)
3) that particular child's expenses- medical, dental, school, child care, etc...
4) percent of visitation, if any

and probably lots of other balogna.
Good luck!!!
legomom922 06:35 PM 10-15-2010
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
if she makes enough money that you could quit working from her child support - you better believe she'd make sure he didn't get custody. i'd move out of the state before i'd let my husband's new wife live from my child support - but that's just me.
Well she didn't have a choice...we had to call child protective services & file a emergency custody petition, and we were granted it.

Sucks to be her!!
QualiTcare 07:34 PM 10-15-2010
i still don't know that i'd give up my livelihood based on child support payments for a step child that may or may not be a permanent situation.
MarinaVanessa 06:56 AM 10-16-2010
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
i still don't know that i'd give up my livelihood based on child support payments for a step child that may or may not be a permanent situation.
I'd have to agree here. Even though you have emergency custody now you will still have to see a judge to make it final and her mom of course will be able to plead her case. Depending on the circumstances she may or may not get her daughter back. If she doesn't and they award custody to your husband, her mom can clean up her act and go back to family court six months after the modification to the custody agreement and every 6 months after that if she is denied. Your husband can do this also however. If his daughter is given back to the mom (now or later down the road) he can go back every 6 months to try to have it modified.

Oh and if you guys do get physical custody of your step-daughter your husband then needs to contact child support and show the new arrangement in order to have it modified (if the judge doesn't do it in court already). Sometimes you have to be on them so make sure that he requests this at the hearing or contacts child support if they don't discuss it in family court.
legomom922 07:54 AM 10-16-2010
Yes we did file a emergency petition, and the judge was ready to make it permanment on thurs but wanted the law guardian talks to the rest of the siblings to get their feelings before he did that, so we have temporary, and I doubt the judge will reverse it if any of the siblings say they miss their brother, because of several reasons: 1. the mom is not fighting it, she wants him gone..2. the law guardian also has recommended that the boy stay with us, 3. He is almost 14 and can pretty much decide where he wants to go, and 4 their is a charge of emotional abuse by the mom & step dad and threats from the stepdad. They through all of his things onto the porch in the rain to be picked up by us and they even removed him as their friend on facebook. She told him if he comes to live with his dad, she will never see him again and he wont be welcome in her home...Sad huh? So even if she ever changed her mind, there is no way the boy would go back there anyway, so Im guessing this is pretty much a done deal, especially with her giving us sole custody of him.
JenNJ 09:02 AM 10-16-2010
How sad for him
legomom922 10:18 AM 10-16-2010
he is a great kid! He has done nothing wrong..his mom & stepdad are going through a custody battle for his 2 young girls (for the 3rd time!) and his ex wife's attorney has been in contact with us looking for some documents, so I have been talking to the ex wife and so my stepson is being blamed for everything since he is the one who casualy mentioned to us about the custody case, so the stepdad threatned him by saying if he doesnt get custody of his daughters because of anything me or my husband said, that if he thought the stepson had seen him angry before, he hasnt seen anything yet! The stepdad suffers from a brain injury from a car accident that gives him outbursts of rage & anger(not physical)So everyone has turned on this poor kid. His sister hates me she is 16, and she spies on this family and so this stepson told us last week at dinner that his sister was texting the mom the whole time telling her everything that was going on, so the mom & sister are mad for that too....its a mess..the mom has been trying to alienate all the kids from us.
Tags:child support
Reply Up