Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Does This Sound Reasonable?
Former Teacher 03:29 PM 12-31-2010
~Sorry I posted this in the member's only section. I meant to post it in the main section~

I had posted awhile (at least a few months) a flyer in my complex's mail/laundry room about babysitting. I had posted my email address rather than a phone number. Since no one had taken the little slips, I took the flyer down.

When I checked my email today there was an email from a lady needed care TONIGHT (New Year's Eve) for her son. She had seen the flyer and wanted me to call her. When I called her, she said her friends live here in the complex and she remembered seeing the flyer. Her sitter cancelled at the last minute and she really needs care.

I asked her where she lived, about the child etc.. She lives here in town, about 10 mins. away. The child is a boy 3 years old completely potty trained blah blah. I asked her again about her location. She said she wanted to bring her son here. I explained to her that I can't have him here since we have no kids, I have no toys etc.

She explained to me that she lives at home with her parents and her parents are throwing a party for the new year. Plus, she doesn't want her son to see her drunk.

Anyway, I asked her from what time to what time. She said 8:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m. I asked her what did she have in mind as for rate. She said that it's been awhile since she last had a sitter (odd because she said in her email her sitter cancelled ) so what was I going to charge. I told her that since I wasn't driving to her, and he would be sleeping, that I didn't want to overcharge her. She then told me she was thinking about $25.00-$30.00. I told her well my husband and I were thinking around $50.00 since it was 12 hours of care regardless. Up to this moment she was extremely nice. When I said 50, she got all huffy and said yeah 50 is fine. Sure 50 is good.

Then she said that she will call me when she is ready for directions. I don't know if she is even coming or not they way she sounded.

My question though is...is $50.00 to much? I am only thinking of the fact that this child is going to be in strange surroundings, I don't know if he will even sleep all night, and just suppose she comes AFTER 8 a.m.?

What do you think?
MyAngels 03:40 PM 12-31-2010
I don't know if it's much help or not, but when I was a teenager (like 30 years ago) fifty bucks was the absolute least amount I would have taken for a last minute New Year's Eve gig. It sounds low to me. But again, that was a long time ago.
Former Teacher 03:44 PM 12-31-2010
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I don't know if it's much help or not, but when I was a teenager (like 30 years ago) fifty bucks was the absolute least amount I would have taken for a last minute New Year's Eve gig. It sounds low to me. But again, that was a long time ago.
I agree. I remember when I worked at the center, years ago this one parent for 2 kids was going to pay $200.00. I didn't get to that parent in time of course

I thought the 50 was reasonable because I wasn't driving etc. Plus, with the way the economy is, I didn't want to scare her off either.

Thanks for your opinion
nikia 04:11 PM 12-31-2010
Okay maybe I miss read something but why does she need directions if her friend lives in the same complex as you? Not that it matters it just caught me as weird.

But no I don't think 50 is too much. I hope it works out for you my concern would be since she said he doesn't have a sitter often he may wake up scared and wanting mom but she will be drunk and unable to get him if he won't settle down for you. Just some of what my worries would be.
Former Teacher 04:24 PM 12-31-2010
Originally Posted by nikia:
Okay maybe I miss read something but why does she need directions if her friend lives in the same complex as you? Not that it matters it just caught me as weird.

But no I don't think 50 is too much. I hope it works out for you my concern would be since she said he doesn't have a sitter often he may wake up scared and wanting mom but she will be drunk and unable to get him if he won't settle down for you. Just some of what my worries would be.
Thanks for your opinion too nikia. We live in a large complex so she would need directions to our place. At least that's the way I took it

UPDATE: She just called. Her mother said the boy can stay there at the party. I knew it. Oh well. Easy come, easy go
momma2girls 04:45 PM 12-31-2010
This is exactly what I was thinking about charging for overnight.
gbcc 04:52 PM 12-31-2010
What strikes me as concerning is that she has never met you?? She is just willing to leave a 3 year old child with someone that she doesn't know, has never met, has no references, or way to check legal problems
safechner 05:02 PM 12-31-2010
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
~Sorry I posted this in the member's only section. I meant to post it in the main section~

I had posted awhile (at least a few months) a flyer in my complex's mail/laundry room about babysitting. I had posted my email address rather than a phone number. Since no one had taken the little slips, I took the flyer down.

When I checked my email today there was an email from a lady needed care TONIGHT (New Year's Eve) for her son. She had seen the flyer and wanted me to call her. When I called her, she said her friends live here in the complex and she remembered seeing the flyer. Her sitter cancelled at the last minute and she really needs care.

I asked her where she lived, about the child etc.. She lives here in town, about 10 mins. away. The child is a boy 3 years old completely potty trained blah blah. I asked her again about her location. She said she wanted to bring her son here. I explained to her that I can't have him here since we have no kids, I have no toys etc.

She explained to me that she lives at home with her parents and her parents are throwing a party for the new year. Plus, she doesn't want her son to see her drunk.

Anyway, I asked her from what time to what time. She said 8:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m. I asked her what did she have in mind as for rate. She said that it's been awhile since she last had a sitter (odd because she said in her email her sitter cancelled ) so what was I going to charge. I told her that since I wasn't driving to her, and he would be sleeping, that I didn't want to overcharge her. She then told me she was thinking about $25.00-$30.00. I told her well my husband and I were thinking around $50.00 since it was 12 hours of care regardless. Up to this moment she was extremely nice. When I said 50, she got all huffy and said yeah 50 is fine. Sure 50 is good.

Then she said that she will call me when she is ready for directions. I don't know if she is even coming or not they way she sounded.

My question though is...is $50.00 to much? I am only thinking of the fact that this child is going to be in strange surroundings, I don't know if he will even sleep all night, and just suppose she comes AFTER 8 a.m.?

What do you think?

I know you live somewhere in Texas but it might be reasonable. In my area (outside of Dallas area) that I have seen they charge around $65 to $85 per child for overnight.
Former Teacher 06:14 PM 12-31-2010
Originally Posted by gbcc:
What strikes me as concerning is that she has never met you?? She is just willing to leave a 3 year old child with someone that she doesn't know, has never met, has no references, or way to check legal problems
Exactly! I thought the same thing. Then again, if it was going to turn into something more, I didn't want to lose that chance either.

She did say when she called to tell me that she didn't need me that she did want to me meet and perhaps use me again. At least it had a positive ending.
Former Teacher 06:16 PM 12-31-2010
Originally Posted by safechner:
I know you live somewhere in Texas but it might be reasonable. In my area (outside of Dallas area) that I have seen they charge around $65 to $85 per child for overnight.
Yes I'm outside San Antonio. Like I told her and others, I don't want to overcharge someone but I don't want to undermine myself either. That's why I thought 50 was ideal since I wasn't using my gas. He would have already been fed and bathed etc. Like DH said, it was going to be free money!
Former Teacher 06:17 PM 12-31-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
This is exactly what I was thinking about charging for overnight.
Thanks..now I don't feel so bad
momofboys 07:05 AM 01-01-2011
Totally an appropriate price IMO! I would not do it for $25-30 for overnight! I can recall when I was in college babysitting (mid 90s) & even then for a regular night of sitting I would earn $25 for 4-5 hrs so for overnight I think $50 is very fair.
Unregistered 04:47 PM 01-01-2011
For last minute overnight care on New Year's Eve, what did the lady expect to pay? I think that only charging her $50 for a 12 hour, overnight period especially since you hadn't even met her or her kid was a steal!

If I ever decide to offer New Year's Eve care, I am going to make it worth my while and charge more than I typically would.
Lianne 07:44 AM 01-02-2011
I had a 6mos old that needed overnight care, last minute on New Years Eve. I charged $150 and took the child with me to the family friendly, several other kids there party I was going to. I would have charged $200 but the family was related to a good friend of mine so I cut them a deal.
Former Teacher 02:42 PM 02-27-2011
Same lady emailed me Thursday afternoon wanting to know if I was free this weekend since she had to work both Fri and Sat night. She said to PLEASE email her asap.

I emailed her and explained to her that yes I was free. However since my husband is working this weekend (he works nights, sleeps days), I would have to watch her son at her house. Plus I would like to know what the hours were as well as the pay rate.

Guess what? NO REPLY.

I SOOO want to email her and to give her a piece of my mind and to tell her not to EVER contact me again. However, like my mother says...silence is golden.
Tags:last minute care, late fee
Reply Up