Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>All Of The Kids At The Door At Pick Up Time
mrsp'slilpeeps 10:52 AM 10-19-2011
What do you ladies do when kids start going home?

I am finding that when the parents come to pick up their own child, all the other DCK's are like who's here, then they are are all running around, ect and it is starting to get chaotic.

Then i feel like I cant talk to the parent about their childs day, cause I'm too busy rangling other children.

Advice please?!
Cat Herder 10:59 AM 10-19-2011
I don't talk with parents at the door during childcare hours.

My job is the kids...my parents get that.

I am available through email/text/fb chat all day and phone from 1-3.

I send home daily sheets with menus, activities, curriculum, any issues/needs and books read during the day.

They can schedule a conference after hours as well.

It is the simplest solution.
GretasLittleFriends 11:03 AM 10-19-2011
My entry area is separated by some stairs, so I put a gate up, plus my 16yr dd helps keep the non-picked-up children corralled. My kids are usually having free play and when Sally's mom comes, I quietly ask Sally to come with me. Usually the only one to notice my absence is my dd (18mos).

I have issues with one boy at pick-up time, and only when his mom comes. He turns from angel to devil usually as soon as he sees her car. It doesn't seem to matter how I prep him for pick-up, he's just that way. He's a second grader and is the same way at other peoples' houses (grandparents, friends, etc)...
daycare 11:07 AM 10-19-2011
I do take a min to talk to the parents sometimes...depends on what we are doing. If I know its just a simple thing that won't cause me to have my attention taken away, I will talk to the parent, otherwise it's get the kid and go.

I had this issue years ago, but solved it in different ways.

1. teach the kids that they are NEVER to go to the door when someone knocks or rings the bell. We don't knwo who it is and it could be a stranger.

2. I will have all of the kids sit up along the wall right by my front door and read a story. now this will only work if pick up is close together.

3. I placed a baby gate that only I can touch and when the parents come I go see who it is. I then go and grab those kid(s) that are going home and no one else can come out of the gated area.

4. I do a lot of puppet shows towards the end of the day. So then I will just send out a text to the parents saying door is open, please quietly retrieve your child from the classroom. I love this one the most....

I hope some of these will be helpful to you.

Like PP said, don't take your time to talk to all of the parents in detail. The kids need and deserve your attention. Have the parents text, email or call you later if it's something that cant be discussed in a min or so.
MissAnn 12:10 PM 10-19-2011
Originally Posted by mrsp'slilpeeps:

I am finding that when the parents come to pick up their own child, all the other DCK's are like who's here, then they are are all running around, ect and it is starting to get chaotic.

Then i feel like I cant talk to the parent about their childs day, cause I'm too busy rangling other children.

Advice please?!
I try to read a lot of books at the end of the day. The kids are on the couch and then I say....when a parent comes in, who gets up? They all say....whoever's mom it is! I remind them a time or two. If they are doing activities....I ask them what they are going to do when a parent comes in....and they say....we just keep doing what we're doing. If I go to the door to greet the parent....and if a kid follows me.....I hold the child's hand because they have just become my shadow. They know this ahead of time, so I don't have to remind them. When the parent leaves I ask the kid to go back to his activity so he won't have to be my shadow any more.
2ndFamilyDC 08:10 AM 10-24-2011
This has been a constant problem of mine for 22 years. I have tried all of the above suggestions and more and all it takes is One kid to disobey and the others follow suit.

I just love (NOT) when a kid or kids come runing to tattle on the kid that is going home, piddly little unimportant things. He/she gets a time out for this. Because they have been told 3 - 4 hundred times to not do this.
mismatchedsocks 11:37 AM 10-24-2011
Between 345-415 there is free play AT the tables. never had a problem with a kid running to front and interupting me with this rule set in place. I will call them if their ride is there, but my welcome area is small and i DO talk to the parents at least for a few minutes while I am getting their shoes/coats on. I have 4 pick ups during this time, and dont want the TV on.

My table/preschool area is in sight of me, when i am sitting on floor, but not to the parents at the door, so its nice. I can just give them a look if they start to get loud and they will stop. LOL
2ndFamilyDC 11:59 AM 10-24-2011
Originally Posted by lilrugrats:
Between 345-415 there is free play AT the tables. never had a problem with a kid running to front and interupting me with this rule set in place. I will call them if their ride is there, but my welcome area is small and i DO talk to the parents at least for a few minutes while I am getting their shoes/coats on. I have 4 pick ups during this time, and dont want the TV on.

My table/preschool area is in sight of me, when i am sitting on floor, but not to the parents at the door, so its nice. I can just give them a look if they start to get loud and they will stop. LOL

Count your blessings.
sahm2three 01:21 PM 10-24-2011
Originally Posted by mrsp'slilpeeps:

Advice please?!
I have my living area gated off, so they can't go to the door unless I go get them. Could you gate them into a room?
Tags:lingering parents, parents - inconsiderate
Reply Up